UKC

novice doing ben nevis next week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 snipper 13 Jul 2012
Hi, my walking partner is now worried. We don't know what we are doing. Can you give us any tips and advice on walking Ben Nevis next week including how we make decision as to whether to set out to walk it or not.

Many thanks Helen
In reply to snipper: If you are both unsure of what you are doing I'd highly recommend hiring a local guide to take you out for the day. Sorry to state the obvious but the mountains aren't exactly a good place to be if you have no idea what you are doing.
skarabrae 13 Jul 2012
In reply to snipper: can you read a map & compass?
can you understand weather forecasts?
can you make rational decisions?
have you experience on other british mountains?
are you reasonably fit?

if you answer yes to all, then if the weather is good, i reckon you`ll be fine.
be safe & enjoy it.

ps, as this is ukc, you can expect a load of withering remarks, probably beginning in reply to my answer
In reply to snipper: just follow the streams of other novices going up the tourist track, you'll be reet!
 dale1968 13 Jul 2012
In reply to skarabrae: Thought the compass was not to reliable on the top and had the habit of taking you over the edge
skarabrae 13 Jul 2012
In reply to dale1968:
> (In reply to skarabrae) Thought the compass was not to reliable on the top and had the habit of taking you over the edge

the compass wont take you over the edge, not following the correct bearing for far enough, will tho
 JLS 13 Jul 2012
In reply to snipper:

Have a look at this...

http://donsnotes.com/places/europe/images/ben-nevis-nav.png

Even if it's sunny and warm, take a fleece and a rain coat in case it gets cold while you are on the top, chances are it will.

The only real danger is getting lost in mist on the summit platue above the zig-zag path beyond the 1200m level. If you can use a compass (it isn't hard) then it wont be a problem.

If you can't then the chances are...

a) the weather wont be that bad anyway.
b) there will be crowds of other people to follow.

Just go and try. If looks like it might get too misty then turn back while you are still on the obvious path.
In reply to snipper: Give your self a good time limit to get up, say about 3.5-4 hrs up and maybe 3hrs down.
 ollieollie 13 Jul 2012
In reply to snipper: as said, pick best day poss and follow the people, the tourist route is quite an obvious path, just start early ish so your not up top alone
 JLS 13 Jul 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

>"3.5-4 hrs up"

I think you might be surprised how long it takes some people to walk up Ben Nevis. I known it sounds slow but 5 hours up wouldn't be that unusual.
Flat4matt 16 Jul 2012
In reply to snipper:

Take the right gear(including a map, NO jeans or trainers!!!) and follow the paths up! Dont wonder off the beaten track and youll be fine.

Oh and enjoy it :-D
 GrahamD 16 Jul 2012
In reply to JLS:

I'd agree with that. Its a long way !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...