UKC

numbness after a frostnip/frostbite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mountain_noob 07 Aug 2018

Hi all, 

Just came back from a last minute trip to climb a 6k+ mountain in Bolivia, and due to my own stupidity was not properly dressed for the cold (-15C-20C). As a result, my toes and fingers were completely numb and white, and while toes went back to normal after a couple of days, half of the fingertips are still numb with needle sensations, and have been like that for almost 3 weeks. They are functional, normal colour, but just constantly numb. 

Is this the time to go to the doctor, or is it something that should still resolve itself in a month or so?

Andy Nisbet 07 Aug 2018
In reply to mountain_noob:

My guess is that the doctor can't do anything to help. It may take several months to get all the feeling back, and you may be sensitive to the cold (in your fingers) for several years. Or it may all heal more quickly.

Andrew Lodge 07 Aug 2018

Back in the 80's I experienced something similar on a days skiing in dreadful weather above Tignes, we were off piste with a guide so stayed out longer than we would have otherwise.

It only affected one finger but for about 6 months afterwards half the finger was numb, I could have stuck a needle through it without knowing anything.

It eventually came back but was very sensitive to cold for at least five years after that and is still the first finger to be cold in winter.

tehmarks 07 Aug 2018

As an aside, can anyone explain the reason why limbs that have previously suffered from a cold injury but have fully recovered in the fullness of time are more susceptible to future cold injuries?

bensilvestre 07 Aug 2018

I got a very numb big toe on my left foot on the Dru a few years back. It stayed numb for a few months, maybe even a year, but now it is totally fine and doesnt seem to get colder before any of the others. Hope yours get better soon!

helix 07 Aug 2018

Bolivia, Tignes, the Dru...

I went mountainbiking with a buddy on the Surrey/Sussex border a few winters ago and got such bad screaming barfies that I had numb toes for a month!

mysterion 07 Aug 2018

I stupidly got two numb, white fingertip ends. Colour returned in a day or two but they remained numb for a year or two. It's nerve damage and takes ages to heal.

Post edited at 23:41
 Stichtplate 08 Aug 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

> As an aside, can anyone explain the reason why limbs that have previously suffered from a cold injury but have fully recovered in the fullness of time are more susceptible to future cold injuries?

I'd guess that circulation might remain slightly impaired due to damage sustained to capillaries during the initial injury.

ebdon 08 Aug 2018

I got frostniped toes after an epic in Bolivia. It took a few months to get back to normal as others have experienced. I think basically you've damaged youre nerves and it takes time to heal.

George.D 08 Aug 2018

I think this type of frostnip is relatively common, if a bit frightening the first time. The fact they are functional and normal colour (not swollen or going black) suggests it is on the mild side and will improve, although it does take time. 

I had it in some of my fingers after skinning to the top of the Breithorn on a particularly cold (-28C) day earlier this winter. I was very worried I had caused permanent damage - numbness, no feeling or sensitivity to hot/cold and heavy peeling of the skin. Eventually, probably took around 6 weeks, things returned to normal - progress was gradual though and I distinctly remember thinking *some* of the feeling had come back but not all at one point. Climbing alpine routes later in the spring/summer I have not noticed any particular difference in sensitivity to the cold.

I think it is a waiting game, but if there is no signs of improvement after x weeks, I would let a doctor give you a second opinion.

Once I was ski touring in Rondane, Norway. During a blizzard we dug out snow caves for the night and it was my job to operate the stove. I did it bare handed and It took me a couple of rounds of hot aches to get it going. Even though I didn't get white fingers, I still benefit from this stupidity 10 years after. I constantly have tingeling fingertips and I am more prone to cold fingers than before. Nerves and capillaries have been permanently damaged. Not that it has prevented me from spending two winters in tents on the Greenland ice sheet with temperatures down to minus 40C. I took care not freezing my extremities too much having good warm gloves and boots.

Unfortunately, I don't think a doctor can do anything about damage already done due to frost bite. 

Post edited at 19:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...