UKC

Rifle hire - western Greenland Ilulissat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Adriana Eyzaguirre 11 Jan 2018

Hi everyone

We on expedition in Greenland in summer 2018 and have been advised to carry a rifle. Does anyone know where I can hire one in Ilulissat?

Thanks

Adriana

Scott K 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Adriana Eyzaguirre:

Try these guys. You will probably need a permit too.

https://www.expeditiongreenland.com/independent-logistics/equipment-hire/

Fakey Rocks 22 Jan 2018

What migtht you need a rifle to protect yourself from? 

Staying away might be the kindest option, then you won't have to kill anything, wolf or polar bear.

Sad choice really, in my opinion, if that's what you might have to do just to be there. Aren't there other places where we've already wiped them out, that could provide for good expeditions?

iceox 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

H'mm,

A shot in the air, or well aimed should do the job.

Might require some experience with the weapon in question.

No harm done there.

Ox

> What migtht you need a rifle to protect yourself from? 

> Staying away might be the kindest option, then you won't have to kill anything, wolf or polar bear.

> Sad choice really, in my opinion, if that's what you might have to do just to be there. Aren't there other places where we've already wiped them out, that could provide for good expeditions?

summo 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

The unncessary travel we all do to pursue various outdoor sports and the subsequent carbon emmisions will arguably do more harm to their population, than the very slim chance one is occasionally shot.

d_b 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

Having a rifle in the party is often a condition of the insurance.  No rifle, no insurance.  No insurance, no trip.

Billhook 23 Jan 2018

Realistically I wonder who would hire you a rifle if you've no firearms training or experience?  And I think there was a university group several years ago which was attacked by one Polar bear.  The group did have a gun, but were poor shots.  Do you know how to scare off bears and if one came near to you in a threatening way would you know where to shoot it and could you hit it?

There are very few wolves in Greenland  (50 - 90 approx), and I think in the East there are non.  So the chances of encountering one is just about nil.  And unless wolves are habituated to humans then there;'s more chance of discovering hen's teeth than being attacked.

Mikkel 24 Jan 2018

These people hire out riffles http://northgreenlandhunting.gl/

But not sure if they only do it to people on the hunting tours they arrange.

there is no license requirement to own a semi automatic hunting riffle on Greenland.

From what i have seen, a riffle is not very good at scaring a polar bear.

The Danish Navy run a dog sledge patrol on the East coast, and there is an amazing documentary where a journalist and camera man went out for months with 2 guys from this patrol, and at one point they come across a polar bear, fire some riffle shots then a flare and the bear just don't care, so they put up camp and wait for it to go away.

Best way to scare of the bears seems to be dogs and lots of them.

If anyone want to watch some stunning scenery have a look here  https://www.dr.dk/bonanza/serie/548/den-sidste-slaederejse/68366/den-sidste...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...