UKC

Ropes for Cornwall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hellflame 21 Jun 2013
I'm off down to cornwall a bit later this year and plan to do a bit of climbing and i'm wondering what rope set up i'd need.
I normally climb off a single rope 60m mammut (normally on grit or limestone).
I know I'll need a rope to absail in to some routes on, which i'd need to leave in place in case of hasty escape. (I've got an old 30m that will do) Are 1/2 ropes essential for some routes or will a doubled 60m do? (maybe even a 1/2 and my single)
In reply to Hellflame:

You're unlikely to need an abseil rope for the classic Severes etc, though a tide timetable will be handy for some of them.

A doubled 60 will be fine for the usual easy routes. Most of them were done in the days when one belayed every time one ran across a ledge.

jcm
OP Hellflame 21 Jun 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: cheers
 CurlyStevo 21 Jun 2013
In reply to Hellflame:
depends which venues you go to, Bosigran and Sennen (amongst others) do not need an ab rope, but many do.

I think at VS and above half ropes would be useful but not essential (I'm not sure I'd say half ropes are ever essential). In general they are more useful than say on grit and less useful than limestone.
 Mark Kemball 21 Jun 2013
In reply to Hellflame: An ab rope makes access to Chair Ladder much easier and is useful (but not essential) at Sennen. It is also rather handy for various other venues.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...