UKC

Ryvoan bothy to hutchison memorial hut

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 claram 22 May 2023

Hi folks,

I'm heading to the Cairngorms soon and am trying to figure out how to hike from Ryvoan bothy to Hutchison memorial hut. I can't seem to find too many clear directions online, or in The Bothy Bible. Has anyone hiked this before/know any details about what the route is like?

Thanks!

DaveHK 22 May 2023
In reply to claram:

If you're venturing into terrain like that you should really be able to look at a map and work out your own route. If you do that and have specific questions then I'm sure people on here will be able to answer them.

mike reed 22 May 2023
In reply to claram:

Hi. 

Its a fine relatively easy beautiful walk. 
As mentioned, take the map, work out the route (not hard), be safe and enjoy
There’s a nice circular walk from the north that can easily take in both bothies and return you to your base, but its a long old plod so plan it out and work out your time needed. 
Take care. 

Post edited at 08:19
 JLS 22 May 2023
In reply to claram:

>"am trying to figure out how to hike from Ryvoan bothy to Hutchison memorial hut"

The 1:50,000 OS map show a lot of hill tracks that could potentially be used to link between those two bothies.  Naithsmith's Rule may help you identify the likely quickest route, however if there has been a lot of rain the condition of bridges and fords may become an overriding factor in route choice. Having identified a potential route I'd be inclined to ask here about if there are any current problems with bridges I intended to use and if any of the fords I intended crossing become impassable in times of spate.

DaveHK 22 May 2023

In reply to:

So what do we think the chances are of the OP responding? Or is it just another one of those accounts? 

Kimberley 22 May 2023
In reply to claram:

The simplest way would be to go S over the shoulder of Bynack More, then Fords of Avon and Lairg an Laoigh from where you can go WNW to Hutchison hut.

Whatever you do don't try to follow the non existent path up Strathnethy to the Saddle.

Kimberley 22 May 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Maybe they only go online later.... its not even 24hrs yet !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...