UKC

Snowdonia for beginners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Clazza94 29 Jul 2022

Hello, 

We’re in Llanrwst for 3 days in a few weeks and I’m wondering where would be a good crag to start? (And which guide book to accompany it? There seems to be some choice).

I’m aiming to find some single pitch trad with diff/vdiff options, preferably where my partner can run round and check my top set up before I belay them. 

Thank you!

Post edited at 10:13
In reply to Clazza94:

The very best crag for this sort of thing is Barmouth Slabs but it's a long drive for you.

Carreg y Foel Gron is a good option, with some particularly easy options at the higher tier.

Craig yr Undeb (Union Rock) and lion rock near Llanberis are used by instructors for this sort of thing.

Clogwyn Cyrau and the upper tier of Craig Pant Ifan (Tremadog) are also good bu the grades are ever so slightly stiffer.

Craig Y Tonnau is often recommended for beginners but I haven't climbed there myself.

GrahamD 29 Jul 2022
In reply to Clazza94:

I would second Clogwyn Cyrau above Betws y Coed.  Some of the severes are very good and pretty amenable.  I'm not sure what book its in currently - I use an old CC Meirionnydd guide

Rog Wilko 29 Jul 2022
In reply to Clazza94:

+1 for Craig y Tonnau.

JohnDexter 30 Jul 2022
In reply to Clazza94:

How about Little Tryfan in Ogwen? (Climbers' Club Ogwen guide). Pretty easy from Llanrwst and a good mix of the grades you want. Then, if you're feeling inspired, you can wander up to the Idwal Slabs (same guide)

JRS 04 Aug 2022
In reply to Clazza94:

Conwy Mountain might be a gentle introduction that's easily accessible from Llanwrst.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/conwy_mountain-3267/

Andy Hardy 05 Aug 2022
In reply to Clazza94:

Klondike Buttress

Is pretty close to Llanrwst

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...