UKC

static rope for anchors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rich-p-bath 10 Jul 2012
Hi,

just starting out so sorry for what is probably quite a subjective question but what is generally considered a "useful" length of static rope to get for anchor equalising and/or extending over the edge for top roping?

I don't want to have carry (and buy) too much, yet do want enough to cover the usual eventualities.

cheers
 Legionreturns 10 Jul 2012
In reply to rich-p-bath:

It depends where you're going and how far back the anchors are. I have a 12m bit, a 30m bit...and in some places you can get away with just slings. There really isn't a definitive answer.
 jkarran 11 Jul 2012
In reply to rich-p-bath:

It depends, but you knew that already. 15-20m is a reasonably useful length unless you happen to climb at a venue with steep loose tops and trees 20m back in which case you'll want 30

For true top-roping (sat at the top) use your climbing rope, it's 'free'.

jk
In reply to rich-p-bath: double half it's length.

more seriously though, I'd just buy a full length ab line and use that
 deepsoup 11 Jul 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> more seriously though, I'd just buy a full length ab line and use that

I don't think I would. Unless I could forsee a need for one in the not-too-distant future or had money to burn. I'd go the other way and belay from the top. No less convenient most of the time, and more relevant experience for when the OP is ready to start leading.
 CurlyStevo 11 Jul 2012
In reply to rich-p-bath:
15 metres is what I normally go for. In the unlikely eventuality that isn't enough you can always incorpourate some slings in to the system instead of just using the rope (extending the more distant placements or for wrapping a tree / boulder etc)
 David Ponting 11 Jul 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: Seconded - and can confirm that it works pretty well on a decent number of different crags!
OP rich-p-bath 11 Jul 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Thanks, that sounds kind of what I had in mind. (we just recce'd a site last night and realised that all my slings were probably not enough to do what we wanted to do).
thanks for the input everyone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...