UKC

Stiff rope opinion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 apforrest 30 May 2019

Having had kids in recent years, we're finally getting around to picking up the "ropes" again. Previously we primiarly climbed in the gym, however, we did buy a rope. Though the rope is relatively old, we've barely used it and is in good condition. The concern is where we marked the centre of the rope using the Beal rope marker, the inch section marked has gone very stiff. Is this something we should be concerned about, will it compromise the rope and therefore should we get rid of it?

bpmclimb 30 May 2019
In reply to apforrest:

As it's a product designed for purpose, the Beal marker shouldn't have chemically changed the rope, and, assuming it's otherwise undamaged, it's very unlikely that the rope's strength has been compromised - so the issue is probably just the handling, whether it passes easily through a belay device. I would manipulate that section of rope until it softens up - in front of the telly, maybe

.... that's not to say that I, or anyone else on here, can 100% guarantee the safety of your old rope, of course. How old is old? These days there are always some pretty good deals on entry-level, single ropes to be found - you can get close to £1 per metre if you shop around. 

OP apforrest 30 May 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

That's a hard question, probably around 8/9 years old, though we've really only used it a handful of times when we initially brought it and only outside a few times. 

Mark Stevenson 30 May 2019
In reply to apforrest:

It's a known issue with the Beal rope marker. I wouldn't worry if the rest of the rope is still in good condition.

oldie 30 May 2019
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

I've tried several ordinary permanent markers on bits of kermantel and they all made that bit of rope stiff. It may be due to a resin constituent of the inks.

Slarti B 30 May 2019
In reply to apforrest:

I have used Beal rope marker on several ropes and have always had the same behaviour. I dont think it is an issue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...