UKC

We are thinking of going to the French alps,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BoaseF 02 Jan 2022

Good morning All,

We are thinking of going to the French alps, (I have been before but a very long time ago) my climbing buddy hasn't yet been.

So, can anyone suggest fairly easy but long climbs?

rsc 02 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

As you may have noticed if you’ve been on this site for six months, there has been a large number of posts from new posters, asking strangely vague questions. The posters then go on to weigh in on covid-related posts, and appear to lose interest in climbing.

Understandably, regulars on here have grown weary of offering advice in good faith to such posters. 

So we can offer useful advice, perhaps you could be a bit more specific?

GrahamD 02 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

It would be useful if you gave us an indication of the grades you are looking for and when you were thinking of going ?

scotthldr 02 Jan 2022

France have currently banned us Brits from going there(unless you live there), for how long🤷‍♂️.

OP BoaseF 03 Jan 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

Graham,

I did say " fairly easy but long climbs".

Leaving (Uk) June/July/August

OP BoaseF 03 Jan 2022
In reply to rsc:

I did say " fairly easy but long climbs".

Leaving (Uk) June/July/August

JoshOvki 03 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

What sort of grade are you climbing/scrambling? Couldn't see it on your profile. Give us a better idea, and where in the French Alps?

JLS 04 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

Something like this?

Palavar-les-flots (5a)

GrahamD 04 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

"Easy" is a totally relative term depending what experience you have, how fit you are etc.

Martin Hore 04 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

> I did say " fairly easy but long climbs".

> Leaving (Uk) June/July/August

Snow, rock or mixed? Simple high altitude peaks with glacier approaches, or bolted valley rock climbs? Impossible really to advise without more details, either here or in your profile. You'll understand, I hope, the suspicions  some posters will have given the current rash of bot posts.

Martin

rsc 04 Jan 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

I don’t think “BoaseF” is trying very hard. Sadly, my suspicions seem to be confirmed.

deepsoup 04 Jan 2022
In reply to rsc:

> Sadly, my suspicions seem to be confirmed.

They're anything but!  (So far at least.)

We really need to collectively try to rein in this paranoia a bit. 

If a post seems like it isn't entirely in good faith I suggest one of two alternatives:

• Reply in good faith anyway, with information that'll be useful to others even it it turns out that the OP wasn't genuinely interested
  • Ignore it.

Let's save the 'Gotcha!' posts publicly calling out new posters for after they confirm suspicions by moving on to expound their theories about Covid/Brexit/QAnon/whatever.  The 'gotcha's run the risk of being more toxic to this place than the actual trolls/bots etc.

Siward 04 Jan 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

BoaseF isn't a new user anyway there are posts from 2020.

I agree that the mania is getting tedious. How many of these one off posters actually DO mutate into conspiracy type posts anyway? I've yet to stumble across one myself and how would a post such as the OP's in any way improve their standing? 

In reply to deepsoup:

Problem with ignoring is that sincerely asked questions will be not answered. The upshot of this is the loss. of what could be a beneficial new user.  It was with this in mind that I replied to the post for climbing partner wanted from a new person.   

Iamgregp 04 Jan 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

> Reply in good faith anyway, with information that'll be useful to others even it it turns out that the OP wasn't genuinely interested

Exactly what I was thinking.  who care if the OP is a Russian bot, a conspiracy theorist or a genuine poster?  If it creates discussion amongst real people, and provides info for other visitors then great!

Bear in mind there are far more lurkers than regular posters on these boards, the vlue of a decent thread with good info bigger than we might think.

That said, the OP's question is a bit broad on this one!  

rsc 04 Jan 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

I’ve a lot of sympathy with what you say, and would love to be proved wrong. I admit I hadn’t spotted the OP’s four posts from last year. 

In my defence, refusing twice to be more specific doesn’t sound much like someone who wants advice, does it?

Come on, BoaseF, make me eat my words!

Post edited at 14:41
 GCO 04 Jan 2022
In reply to Iamgregp:

True.

I opened this thread because I saw the prospect of an interesting conversation. Having come back into the sport after a twenty year break, I’ve found that I’m now happiest at easy grades (up to VS) on mountain routes - multi-pitch easy stuff (think grooved arête, amphitheatre buttress, etc. for example) - and was thinking about a trip to the Alps if it’s possible in the summer.

A few ideas to get us occasional posters going would be useful. But I do get why some might feel that their time (and knowledge) is wasted. It’s a tricky balance and not at all easy to tell who is genuine nor for that matter who will appreciate the effort put into the reply.

Gerry

Post edited at 16:14
 deepsoup 04 Jan 2022
In reply to Iamgregp:

> Bear in mind there are far more lurkers than regular posters on these boards, the vlue of a decent thread with good info bigger than we might think.

Quite so, and it's to all of our benefit if the people who hardly ever post anything (or never have at all) feel welcome to chip in once in a blue moon if they want to.

I'm not saying don't call out the trolls, bots and sockpuppets, far from it.  Just lets give people the benefit of the doubt while doubt remains.

In reply to rsc:

I think people who are less engaged with the forum (and social media generally) might seem a bit more evasive than they actually are though.  It's polite to acknowledge replies and respond to questions of course, but it's also not entirely unreasonable for people to post something and then forget to check the forum for replies for a few hours, or a day.  (Or at all!)

I didn't intend my post as a dig at you btw, hope it didn't come across that way.  Anyway..  I know bugger all about the French Alps and don't want to derail the thread further, so that's me out of this one..

rsc 04 Jan 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

I didn't intend my post as a dig at you btw, hope it didn't come across that way. 

Not at all, and you make valid points. 

Sounds as though there’s enough of us interested in a chat about the French Alps anyway, so here’s my (slightly mischievous) opener: 

Pelvoux Traverse (PD+)

Babika 04 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

I wouldn't start planning routes just yet.

Having just had my French trip cancelled I'll wait until Macron decides what he wants before planning anything in France. There are lots of less stressful countries to enter atm

OP BoaseF 12 Jan 2022
In reply to rsc:

This is getting tedious.

As Lamgregp wrote so what if I'm a Russian bot?

Yes I posted a couple (4) items a while ago and NEVER had such paranoid replies.

I repeat for the second time;

Looking for long easy climbs, is there ANYTHING in that question to suggest I'm looking for a bolted route?

NEXT

Similar question;

"So, can anyone suggest fairly easy but long climbs?

In the East part of the Pyrenes?

For those who have trouble reading I repeat;

LONG AND EASY. 

Post edited at 21:16
 Cake 12 Jan 2022

This is still the information people need to help you, quoting Martin;

Snow, rock or mixed? Simple high altitude peaks with glacier approaches, or bolted valley rock climb?

Why would anyone assume you do our don't want bolts?

rsc 12 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

We’ll, I did suggest a route. But it’s in the Alps as you originally asked, not the Pyrenees as you now say.

John Ww 12 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

How about a nice, easy, unbolted and definitely long walk from the French Alps (stated destination 1) to the Pyrenees (stated destination 2)? Google maps should give you loads of options. 🤷‍♂️👍

mike123 12 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF: out of interest , have you had your booster ? 

Mark Haward 13 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

Not sure what you mean by 'easy' or 'long' as they can mean very different things to different people ( eg novices to experienced ) or what types of climbing you may be looking for. However, here are some suggestions with the caveat that I have no idea of your experience / grades etc:

Crochues Traverse in Aiguilles Rouges

Linking some rock routes together in Aiguilles Rouges in the Brevent area

Aiguille Tours adding Tete Blanche and Petite Fourche as energy levels dictate

Aiguille Moines, Aiguille Peigne, Domes de Miage, Mont Tondu, Mont Blanc via Trois Monts

Spaghetti Route in Switzerland

Breithorn half traverse  ( Castor, Pollux )

Lots of options around Arolla and Saas Fee

Linking shorter easier routes around Torino Hut

Gran Paradiso

sjminfife 13 Jan 2022
In reply to JLS:

The abseil off if a bit exciting

Only a Crag 13 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

bot or no bot, an asshole attitude when looking for info/assistance is thumbs down 

Offwidth 13 Jan 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Well said. It's maybe useful to remind people that the Starting Out forum description means it's no place for such arguments (especially the final bit).

"A forum for asking questions, whether you are deciding to get into climbing or have just started and need something explained. UKClimbing.com is visited by many experienced climbers, including climbing and mountaineering guides, who will gladly help out. Please check the Climbing Skills category before posting. If you post here and received rude or condescending replies then please contact the moderators."

rsc 13 Jan 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Troubled by the suggestion of “rude or condescending replies “, I’ve just reread the the thread. I still think there’s only one poster who’s been rude. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...