UKC

New competition: tickets to hear Conrad Anker at IMAX

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
UKClimbing's comps are back!

Three people will each win a pair of tickets to hear Conrad Anker give a talk on JANUARY 30 at the London IMAX theatre on the South Bank, followed by the film about Shackleton - starring the mountaineers Anker, Steven Venables and Reinhold Messner recreating the explorer's trek over glaciers.

Sure to be a fantastic experience - IMAX is amazing and Anker has some gripping tales to tell.

Enter the comp at http://www.ukclimbing.com/general/competition.html - but BE QUICK!!! It closes at the end of Jan 27th.

Thanks to the IMAX theatre for the tickets.
In reply to Charles Arthur, UKC Editor:

Wow, good response going to this - 19 responses already (1400 Weds). I'm not going to say how many are correct but keep them coming!

Charles
 tobyfk 23 Jan 2002

Great film BTW. Saw it this afternoon.
In reply to tobyfk:

So go on then - is it awe-inspiring and incredible seeing it on the IMAX screen? I saw the Everest film on it, though the bit I recall most is when you're on a rope abseiling down a Spanish seacliff. The rope is revolving; some people nearly lost their lunch.

Charles
 tobyfk 25 Jan 2002

Well the story of Shackleton is very inspiring, uplifting and I undoubtedly left the cinema a better person ... etc ... but ... the highlight was the flying in low over the iceflows sequence at the beginning. That sort of footage seems to be mandatory in IMAX films: always a bit generic but always fun.

My son found it rather frightening then fell asleep, but he is only 2.
MK 25 Jan 2002
In reply to tobyfk:
Did anyone happen to looks at all the photographs taken from Shackleton's expedition on show all around the Imax theatre as well? Brilliant stuff, and the display of the outfit they wore back then boggles the mind.
Mariano
H 30 Jan 2002
In reply to MK:

I went to the Conrad Anker lecture at South Cerney (near Cirencester) last night.

Apparently the photpographs taken are normally on permanent display at a museum of photography in a village called Lacock.

talk was excellent by the way, if a little (dare I say it) unprofessional in set-up/delivery.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...