UKC

What's the best advice for beginner?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
medclimb 22 Oct 2004
Love climbing, but am newbie. How do I not look like a pratt? Ta
Yorkspud 22 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:

Work out how to get your feet on the next footholds rather than worrying too much about the hands!
pete theobald 22 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:

don't wear a beanie. Make sure your boots fit and definitely don't wear socks in your boots.
P
 Jus 22 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:

Don't attach your chalk bag to your waist with a string cord, instead use a bloody great screw gate to attach it to your harness's gear loop.
J2 22 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:

hand, hand, foot, foot, foot, foot, foot, foot, etc etc

As has been said, move your feet more, get them as high as you can

But the best advice is to enjoy it!
Witkacy 22 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:

First, go to an outdoor shop and buy lots of gear and clothes. Don the lot, then go to the wall. Here you will observe people climbing up the walls. When you see someone seeming to struggle on a move, shout out these words of encouragement: “Send it, dude!” Immediately you will be welcomed into a charmed circle of experienced climbers, instead of being scorned as a clueless newbie.
 Paul at work 22 Oct 2004
In reply to pete theobald: i disagree, wear socks, it makes it alot warmer at this time of year!
 SidH 22 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:
Buy some pink rock boots that are far too small for your feet.
Pete W 22 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:

"The best climber is he/she that is having the most fun".

Climbing should be all about enjoying yourself and not about how you look. Set yourself realistic goals; find out at what grade you can warm up at, what gade you can train at and what grade you can push it at. Lay up a reasonable amount of time if "getting better" is your thing between the grades.

Pete
Nelberto Rockostaro 22 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:

A.Go to the biggest cliff you can find (ask people at the bottom which is the hardest route)
B. Free climb it aiming for the top.
C. Either wake up a little later with a hole in the head or not at all.
pete theobald 22 Oct 2004
In reply to Pete W:

yes, but prana is a bit over done now and a5 makes you look like a pretend surfer. If you can pull off wearing helly hansen thermals and a good t-shirt you'll get respect as well as having fun
P
 Stuart S 22 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:

I think Tom Patey got it about right when he said that a novice was someone (often dead) who should be kept off the mountains at all costs.

If that doesn't put you off, then just relax about how you look, and have fun. Oh, and don't wear Ron Hills...
Witkacy 22 Oct 2004
In reply to pete theobald:

I wear big baggy supermarket tracky bottoms and old stained and holey t-shirts. Is that cool?
 GrahamD 22 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:

To learn, especially at the wall, be prepared to look like a prat.
Yorkspud 22 Oct 2004
In reply to SidH:
> (In reply to medclimb)
> Buy some pink rock boots that are far too small for your feet.

I think that is the best answer I've ever seen on this forum to the "How do I.." genre of questions.
medclimb 22 Oct 2004
Got it. Pink climbing boot (too small) are go. Possibly neon green/yellow laces too? Do they sell pink harness to match?
 Dave Stelmach 22 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb: Don't wear new gear, scratch your arse a lot whilst reading guide book. NEVER wear a beanie
Merry Joffatt 22 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:
The best advice is not to listen to all these punters, they all look like crap and stink of piss, they also have no mates! Did I say they were all punters too, well they are.

Punters!
D.M 22 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:
Never ever listen to the person working in the outdoor sports shop who tell you to buy rock boot two sizes too small
 cubanallstar 22 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:

Take up another sport... climbing sucks
Carl Davies 22 Oct 2004
 Fiend 23 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:

General/basic advice for leading: http://www.fiendy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/leading.html
hugedyno 24 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:

1) Wear a sk8er beanie;
2) Always climb with your shirt off (even in sub-zero conditions);
3) Attach your tooth brush to your mum's line prop and carry it around:
4) Buy an abnormally large chalk bag;
5) An even bigger crash pad.
6) Use retro terminology such as 'Dude', 'Man', 'Cool', 'Chicks', 'Wasted', 'Far Out', 'Negative Vibes', 'Bad Energy' and anything else from either 'Austin Powers' or 'Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure'.

You'll do just fine!

Monkeyrock 24 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb: Go to the gym till ya look buff, then buy a chalk bag, take yer top off and sit on the crash matt of your local climbing wall stareing at the hardest problem.
Climbit 24 Oct 2004
Drop your kit off the crag - scratch it for that "used" look.

Olly (All the gear; no idea!)
 yer maw 24 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb: do this in the following order to be a real climber;

Hillwalk/Scramble- to get fit, respect the outdoors, get used to exposure, develop your movement over rock, and the abilty to remain calm in exposed unroped situations, obtain clothing which is useful as opposed to lovely.

Rock Climb- to improve your ropework, and other obvious reasons. If you have done the first part then you shouldn't be a jibbering wreck who's climbing because it's cool.

Multi-Pitch Rock Climb- because this is where even the most uninspiring mountain climbs are more memorable than than a day at Stanage or Rosyth. It's where great friendships are moulded or broken.

Winter Climb- this is my personal preference because of the situations and scenery you get into. Everybody loves snow don't they?

Alps/Himalaya- I'm stuck at the last one and happy.

This will give you something to do and look forward to all year.

If you really don't want to look a pratt then don't take bouldering seriously. Do it after a night on the razzle when a real climb may not be a good idea or at the end of a day's climbing when you want a wee laugh. How someone can boulder all summer is beyond me?

hugedyno 24 Oct 2004
In reply to yer maw:

>
> If you really don't want to look a pratt then don't take bouldering seriously.

Oi!, you cheeky git! 'Course its serious. It'll get this lad fit and focussed. If he does multi- pitch mountain routes like you suggest, he might end up wearing Ron Hill Tracksters! Then he WILL look a pratt!

yer maw 25 Oct 2004
In reply to hugedyno:
>It'll get this lad fit and focussed.
it'll make him/her strong but mentally weak in the face of real danger and unfit for any approach longer than you can throw a stone.

>If he does multi- pitch mountain routes like you suggest, he might end up wearing Ron Hill Tracksters! Then he WILL look a pratt!

Been there and use them for cycling now.
 Offwidth 25 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:

1) Give up climbing. Climbing and climbers will manoevre even heros into occasional prattdom.
2) Burn any evidence you can get hold of.
3) Threaten family members of people holding evidence you cant get hold of.

PS all good climbers love challenges so don't be put off by trying.
 Duncan Bourne 25 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb:
climb next to me you will appear a god in comparison
 BennyBoy 25 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb: Just climb and enjoy! Well that and don't buy all the gear then turn up to the crag and not know how to use it.
borriss 26 Oct 2004
In reply to medclimb: Opuntia is a plant in the family CACTACEAE, Opuntia f.Prickly pear. Greek name for a different plant which grew around the ancient town of Opus Greece, the chief town of a tribe called from it the Locri Opunti.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...