UKC

Controlled Burning RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anonymous 31 Oct 2004
I expect everyone but me already knew this, but I've just got back from Lundy and the whole top roof of this has fallen down - doubt if it will be sanely climbable for quite a while and I imagine it will never be the classic it was.

First time I walked up the island I wondered why I hadn't noticed that conspicuous crack going through the roof. Second time I realised.
OP Anonymous 31 Oct 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

That was me. Damn this registering rubbish.

jcm
 Tyler 31 Oct 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

when did that happen, Archangel went on it in August and said it was very sandy and lowered off. I just thought he was being a poof.
 Ropeboy 31 Oct 2004
In reply to Tyler:

Sometime in September, thank goodness we did it this year.

J
 Martin Jones 31 Oct 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

Thank goodness - another lifetime ambition that I'm let out of.
 Rob Platt 31 Oct 2004
In reply to Anonymous: What a bummer guess I`ll have to do Seal Slab now or it`s not worth going.
Al the best
Rob
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 31 Oct 2004
In reply to Ropeboy:

So who did the last ascent then?

I seconded it after Karin and Martin.

That was August.

Steve
 Ropeboy 31 Oct 2004
In reply to Steve Crowe:

We did it on Fiday the 3rd of September and a strong Sheffield pair did it after us.

Any advance?

J
 Robin Mazinke 31 Oct 2004
In reply to Ropeboy: I lead it on 10th September, which was the first day of a period of bad weather, Force 8 winds, etc. For the rest of our week we had to be very selective in which areas we could actally get to and then the helicopter off since it was too rough for the ferry. Judging by the weather after our ascent it may have been the last.

It seemed quite gritty in the crack, though no more than I expected from hearing of ascents by others 10 or 15 years ago. Glad to have done it since it had been on the to-do-list for a few years.

Hmmm, I also did Skeleton Ridge this year, wonder if any more of that has fallen down.

Robin
 AJM 01 Nov 2004
In reply to Robin Mazinke:

Saw someone lead it on what was probably the 10th as well - you remember a guy with long ginger har and his mate (check my profile picture) down the bottom mid-afternoon sort of time?

If so, I've got a few photos of your second climbing it - drop me an email if you are that person and want me to scan&email them.

AJM
 Dave Pritchard 01 Nov 2004
There was a note in the Lundy Climbing Log in the Marisco week begiining Sept 18th saying that it was all unstable and advising to keep away. So going by dates, Robin may well have got the last ascent. As he says weather was very bad with high winds and big seas after that, so likely to have fallen down during that week.

Dave
OP Anonymous 01 Nov 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

I don't suppose anyone has any photos of what it now looks like? Would be interested to see how much has come down etc.

AJM-logged-off
 Paz 01 Nov 2004
Oh BASTARD!
sloper 01 Nov 2004
In reply to Paz: I tried it a couple of years ago but had to retreat as . . .

1. it was pissing it down,
2. the crack 'exploded' around first jam I put in (to pull into the crack off the pedestal)

in any event it looked as if the whole fin was going to fall over in due course.
 Ally Smith 01 Nov 2004
In reply to sloper: not surpised this has gone, when i did it you could get your whole knee in just above the roof and take a no hands rest, when the guide describes this section as a hand crack. The bit pulling off the fin was very gritty, the horizontal sections where the crack zig zags in particlular.
 John Alcock 01 Nov 2004
In reply to ally smith:
When is Earth Rim Roamer II finally going to go?
RJ 01 Nov 2004
We did it mid August. There was a sizeable downward pointing flake at the back of the roof which was well loose. I didn't pull on it - the team who repeated the route afterwards did and it came out. Saw the guy down the pub later with a bandage on - apparantly much blood. He didn't get to finish it either, guess he never will now......
 Ropeboy 02 Nov 2004
In reply to Robin Mazinke:

Nice one!

Any advance on the the 10th of Sept '04?

By all acounts it's always been a bit shitty.

J
 edwardwoodward 02 Nov 2004
Damn. Last time I went to do it there was a horde on it. Now I'll never get the chance. Anyway, people, go and do the nearby Sumo instead - much slabbier but good fun.
At least I got to do Yankee Doodle before it fell down.
Eddie.
In reply to Tyler: Thanks for that I was being a poof. Perhaps having my great bulk levering up on it was the last straw. At least that is one more route I don't have to go back to and do a clean ascent of.

Tyler 08 Nov 2004
In reply to Archangel in Oz:

> Perhaps having my great bulk levering up on it was the last straw.

I doubt it, you didn't get that far!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...