UKC

What to use for Abseil Tat?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Davids 04 Nov 2004
As it says, what do you use to rig the abseil and then leave behind? Is 8mm static cord considered safe? Or would you use tape? Just wondering as I've heard contradicting advice recently.

Cheers

Chris
 Norrie Muir 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Chris Davids:
> As it says, what do you use to rig the abseil and then leave behind? Is 8mm static cord considered safe? Or would you use tape?

Dear Chris

Either is OK.

Norrie

PS It is only tat after it has been used.

dark_star 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Chris Davids: Across the pond it's customary to fit rap rings, not an entirely bad idea.
OP Chris Davids 04 Nov 2004
I thought as much. Got told yesterday by a lad in Tiso's that you shouldn't use cord as:

"It wasn't designed to hold a load for a long period of time"

He said you should only use Dyneema tape. Sounded like bull but I thought I'd check.

Cheers for the quick answer.

Chris
OP Chris Davids 04 Nov 2004
In reply to dark_star:

What's a Rap Ring?
 Martin W 04 Nov 2004

> Got told yesterday by a lad in Tiso's that you shouldn't use cord as: "It wasn't designed to hold a load for a long period of time"

<guffaw> According to Beal's web site, their 8mm accessory cord is rated to 14kN: http://www.bealplanet.com/produits/anglais/produit6.html
dark_star 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Chris Davids: A large, inexpensive ring. One generally takes two and threads the abseil cord/tape through them and then ties off. Reduces friction when pulling the rope down.
Anonymous 04 Nov 2004

> "It wasn't designed to hold a load for a long period of time"

I hope you laughed loudly in his face!
dark_star 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Anonymous: Was it designed to be laughed in for a long period of time?
Cosmic John 04 Nov 2004

On big routes, and especially in winter, I've nearly always got a couple of old slings and krabs that I can regard as "disposable" for just this sort of thing.

They can still be used as normal protection if necessary, of course. Most climbers do this, surely?
Anonymous 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Chris Davids: The lad in Tiso's talking total bullshit! 7mm cord is plenty thick enough!

More importantly, according to Black Diamond. Knots in Dyneema tape will slip much more than a knot in nylon tape so don't cut up your old slings to use as ab tat! That's also why it's hard to find it sold off the reel!
Juki 04 Nov 2004
I have always used 8mm accessory cord with double or triple fishermans.
 Trangia 04 Nov 2004

In remote areas wouldn't it be more environmentally friendly to use a bio-degradable material rather than man made fibre eg hemp rope slings. They are perfectly strong enough for first time use, but will eventually rot away.

For more popular areas, and I think particularly of the unsightly mess of tat on top of the Old Man of Stoer, maybe one solution would be to encourage each successive party to bring away with it the tat from the previous parties? That way there would only be one piece of tat left there at any one time.
Anonymous 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Trangia: Wouldn't it make more sense to put in two bolts and a chain maybe in black! Then there would be no tat and would be safer than messing around with hemp rope!
 Trangia 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

Are you going to carry a star drill, mallet, bolts, bonding paste and chain with you on a remote climb? If used properly a hemp rope sling as a static fixing is safe. Your bolts and chin will be there for ever- the hemp will rot way leaving the lesser impact on the environment.
 GrahamD 04 Nov 2004

Even 5mm or 6mm cord is strong enough for an emergency abseil. 8mm static cord is more in line with setting up a permanent abseil station, in which case it should be fitted with a maillon or ring.
Anonymous 04 Nov 2004
> As it says, what do you use to rig the abseil and then leave behind? Is 8mm static cord considered safe? Or would you use tape? Just wondering as I've heard contradicting advice recently.
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris

Christ almighty, if it is capable of taking a fall, then it might just suffice for a static load like an abseil.
Sarah G 04 Nov 2004
I find a small child to be fairly resilient and exceedingly expendable.

Sxx
Removed User 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Cosmic John: When I got into climbing and was putting a rack together, I bought four DMM Twistlock krabs; a friend took me climbing and noticed these krabs on my rack - he pointed out that the single action necessary to open them (a simple twist of the sleeve) meant that they weren't really what I needed for locking krabs. They went into a storage box where they stayed until I found them again last month in my continuing clear-out. I'm selling them for no other reason that I have a number of other 'leavers' (krabs I have used which I wouldn't sell to other climbers ). These DMM krabs are unused and would be extremely suitable as 'leavers' because they are safer than snapgates (though less so than screwgates). Offers plus P&P.
Mattress 04 Nov 2004

Find a a mate whose retired some 9mm ropes and blag a few metres. I've got about 150m of ab tat to cut up......
James Jackson 05 Nov 2004
In reply to GrahamD:

I've abbed on one of my prussicks in the Alps - I think that's 4mm cord. I'm not dead.
Cosmic John 05 Nov 2004
In reply to James Jackson:

Yvon Chouinard's book has a story of abseiling the wrong way down the Auiguille de Requin, eventually using rucksack drawstrings and bootlaces as tat.

There's a good argument against "accessory krabs" for nut tools, chalkbags, and wotnot there. You never know when you might be grateful for that extra full-spec bit of kit.

sutty 05 Nov 2004

Try standing in a loop of nylon guyline and see if it holds you, we did and found that it held two people. This was to see if it was strong enough for direct aid on a route, about ten foot above a runner.

As others have said, most cords that are used for runners is plenty strong enough, we used roughly 7mm hemp slings in the 60s for abseil tat on lots of routes in the alps.
Bruce Allmighty 05 Nov 2004
In reply to Chris Davids: a mion rapide is a rap ring they only cost £3 or so. and make the rope esier to pull through. on most lakes crags the you can abe of there is one. ie lower falocan and goat crag.
Steven Martin 05 Nov 2004
In the Alps I remember lacing our big leather mountain boots with 4mm cord, as well as replace our rucksack cord with it, and generally stuff our pockets with it, the idea being that we could use it for abseils or prusiks or tying off pegs or for direct aid in an emergency.
This was after I once had to use ordinary bootlaces to abseil off the Blaitiere.
 Norrie Muir 05 Nov 2004
In reply to Steven Martin:
> This was after I once had to use ordinary bootlaces to abseil off the Blaitiere.

Dear Steven

I have also used boot laces, but I refrained from posting that earlier. It is good to know others have did this.

Norrie
 GrahamD 05 Nov 2004
In reply to James Jackson:

> I've abbed on one of my prussicks in the Alps - I think that's 4mm cord. I'm not dead.

But are you fat ?

Seriously, though, if a prussic can't take your weight, its no use as a prussic loop, really.
OP Chris Davids 05 Nov 2004
<More importantly, according to Black Diamond. Knots in Dyneema tape will slip much more than a knot in nylon tape so don't cut up your old slings to use as ab tat!>

I looked into this a while back as I have a 240 Dyneema sling that I had to cut due to getting it stuck. I decided not to use it for ab tat for this very reason.

In reply to Mattress:
>
> Find a a mate whose retired some 9mm ropes and blag a few metres

Good idea, a friend has just retired a couple of old ropes. Never thought of blagging a length for this purpose.
 GrahamD 05 Nov 2004

I guess you are not talking of 'tat' as such, which is usually used for abseil retreats because you wouldn't want to carry bulky 9mm rope for this purpose !

If you intend to set up a permanent abseil station, remember that climbing rope is dynamic and stretches under load. Be careful that the repeated stretch/relax cycle cannot wear the rope, espeially over edges.
James Jackson 05 Nov 2004
In reply to GrahamD:

My point exactly...

Apparantly my dad had to do a bootlace abseil in the Dolomites once. He described as the single most scary thing he's ever had to do. Fun stuff.
I am talking tat, but would much prefer to carry a little weight and have peace of mind when abseiling. 5m of 8mm cord, which is what I bought isn't that heavy.Maybe if/when I climb harder I'll think other wise.

<climbing rope is dynamic and stretches under load. Be careful that the repeated stretch/relax cycle cannot wear the rope>

Goes without saying but for a single ab, if it's sensibly set up and the abseil rope isn't weighted/unweighted repeatedly then it shouldn't be a problem. If other people use it then you should hope they'd treat it with a great deal of caution. (Burn from past ropes being pulled, natural weakening from being battered by the elements, etc)
 Alex Pryor 05 Nov 2004

What's the minimum thickness cord one should carry to ab off in an emergency.
I usually carry 6mm for this, but surely new 4mm rope(or even less?) should be enough to hold normal body weight for an ab?

I'm very cautious about using bundles of old tat, even if it looks in decent nick. After all, your life depends on it.
 AJM 05 Nov 2004
In reply to Alex Pryor:

I've got 6mm I think, I'd be happy using 5mm, 4mm might begin to scare me a bit.

According to Needlesports website, 4mm cord has a 4kn strain, take about half that off for a knot (down to about 2.5kN say), and then I've read somewhere that a jerky abseil by the average male abseiler can cause up to 1.5-2kN of force, so the safety margin is under 2, which doesn't leave a lot of leeway if things go pear shaped. 5mm cord breaks at 5.5, so youve got a bigger margin. Although if its an emergency, 3mm cord takes 1.8kN, and so you could theoretically go off that and abseil as smooth as possible (although I wouldn't be keen myself).

The other thing, is is there a radius at which it starts to damage the rope - loaded rope over a wire will cut through, but what diameter cord will have the same effect - I'd guess that would start to kick in at about 3mm cord?

AJM
Paul Gillespie 05 Nov 2004
In reply to Chris Davids: I have a 5m cordialette made of 7mm accessory cord that i use for equalising belays etc, even with knots in it is still rated to something like 12kN. If i ever need some tat for an abseil. i cut a metre or so off the end and use that. That way i dont have to leave slings behind, only 50p of accessory cord.

Paul

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...