UKC

Wind Turbine for Stanage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 27 Nov 2004
A planning application to erect a private wind turbine next to Stanedge Lodge, which is on moorland neighbouring the Stanage/North Lees Estate, to the north west of Stanedge Pole, is now in its later stages. The turbine is being proposed to replace a noisy diesel generator and will be nearly 10m high with three 2.75m long blades. The whole structure will be painted grey and black.

UKC News - http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Simon 27 Nov 2004
In reply to UKC News:
> The turbine is being proposed to replace a noisy diesel generator

Don't know what the stance of this threads originator is but I wholeheartedly am for it replacing something that churns out shite

Si
Woker 27 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon:
so am I
TC 27 Nov 2004
Turbines are cool - they make you feel ok about flicking on the light switch
 Dave Stelmach 27 Nov 2004
In reply to UKC News: Don't want to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but the giant ones are an eyesore, visible for miles, equally noisy and kill lots of birds. Hopefully, this is a relatively small one (13m high). I've never heard the 'noisy diesel' generator on the moor. The grouse will have to learn to fly lower. Solar panels would have been less intrusive. How much power is the owner selling?
Iggy_B 27 Nov 2004
They don't kill birds. Thats bollocks that the anti-turbine people made up. They use them loads in Denmark and the Danish government say they rarely kill birds. It so windy at Stanage that they may as well put on there, even better if it could take the wind away totally! Shame it won't, also a shame that so many people are against renewable energy sources!
Iain Ridgway 27 Nov 2004
In reply to Iggy_B: Theres currently a very lareg study on going to answer that question.

Having stayined at Ossian YHA which is powered by a turbine, Im for it, the one there is smallish, 7m or so high, painted green, its a small price to pay, and may be the answer to providing electricity in many rural areas so power lines can be reduced.
Ian Hill 27 Nov 2004
In reply to UKC News: can't say I ever heard the 'noisy' generator either...but everyone will undoubtedly notice the turbine...what's more environmentally friendly - something that's an eyesore but 'clean' or something that's invisible but 'dirty'?
 sutty 27 Nov 2004
In reply to Ian Hill:

I doubt it will be that obtrusive. The house is probably half the height of it already. If that size generator was placed alonside a lot of farmhouses there would be little complaint from most people and they would not have cables on poles going for miles across the countryside. Undergrounding is rarely an option when it costs probably £20,000 to get to a farm.
grumpytramp 27 Nov 2004
In reply to Iggy_B:
> They don't kill birds. Thats bollocks that the anti-turbine people made up.

Sorry, but thats bollocks made up by the wind energy lobby!

Casual 1 minute google produces :-

http://www.iberica2000.org/Es/Articulo.asp?Id=1188

http://www.sw-center.org/swcbd/Programs/bdes/altamont/altamont.html

Think the pic on the iberica2000 says it all!

Incidentally 10m high local schemes make sense and present little risk. Unfortunately they even less economic sense than the 120-140m high monster that developers are trying to inflict on virtually every upland area in rural Scotland.
In reply to Ian Hill: It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for!
monks 27 Nov 2004
In reply to UKC News:

perhaps they could be placed at regular intervals along the whole of stanage, and other crags, they could double up as solid belay anchors.
Baz47 27 Nov 2004
In reply to monks:

And provide lighting and heating for the crag.

Baz
 Simon 27 Nov 2004
In reply to monks:

If there is any place that doesn't need any more belay points its stanage!

Now Lawrencefield / Millstone - I'd agree!

Si
Serpico 27 Nov 2004
In reply to monks: There's a load down the road from Bridestones. They're great for drying the crag as it gets really windy when they turn them all on...
 John2 27 Nov 2004
In reply to UKC News: There's already a wind generator on the CIC hut on Ben Nevis, is there not? People seem pretty happy for that to be there.
Woker 27 Nov 2004
In reply to Serpico:
hee hee
Iggy_B 27 Nov 2004
In reply to grumpytramp: I believe it was a Mr Charles Darwin who forwarded the theory...etc. If these birds wish to fly into the turbines so be it!
In reply to Iggy_B: Actually, it was Batman
RichManton 28 Nov 2004
In reply to UKC News:

This has to be the right solution. The latest generation of wind turbines are quiet graceful additions to the skyline and will depending on demand actually supply into the gird. Must be a good thing? Why might it not?

Glenn Haworth 28 Nov 2004
In reply to monks: Or how about a row of winches along the top of the edge???
 Chris Fryer 29 Nov 2004
In reply to Iggy_B: Yes, well Mr Darwin didn't expect us to be throwing curve balls like massive blades whizzing about. Evolution might take a while to catch up on that one.
 Chris the Tall 29 Nov 2004
In reply to UKC News:
Sounds like a really good idea - but have the ouzels been consulted ?
Yorkspud 29 Nov 2004
In reply to grumpytramp:

Some disturbing 'reports' but in general they are a low risk too bird spp in this country. The RSPB are not overly worried about them.
 Philip 29 Nov 2004
Isn't it funny how a wind turbine, which represent our efforts to harness energy with less pollution is an eyesore, but an old windmill on a hill looks nice. Perhaps wind turbines should be built inside nice wooden "fake" windmills. Then they would look nicer.
 McBirdy 29 Nov 2004
In reply to Ian Hill:
> "..what's more environmentally friendly - something that's an eyesore but 'clean' or something that's invisible but 'dirty'?"

I think you answered your own question there. The human race is incredibly arrogant/self-centred in general. Perhaps WE would prefer a nice fossil fuel power station tucked out of the way somewhere where it didn't spoil OUR view.... but if the planet could speak (through all of the coughing and spluttering on pollution) it would undoubtedly prefer a wind turbine - particularly a small local scheme like this.

It astonishes me that for years people have tolerated pylons criss-crossing the countryside, power station chimneys billowing out horrific compounds, oil spills ruining miles of coastline, rising asthma rates in kids, global warming etc etc etc. Then someone takes the difficult option, tries to do something good and 100% environmentally friendly - and everyone gets precious about their view.... It's not YOUR VIEW in the same way it's not OUR PLANET. If only people could stop being so extraordinarily narrow minded and see the bigger picture - the world would rapidly become a better place.

Ben Darvill
Biodiversity and Ecology Department
University of Southampton

and Meets Sec - Southampton Uni MC.
 Simon Caldwell 29 Nov 2004
In reply to Iggy_B:
> They don't kill birds

I assume you're talking about larghe scale wind farms rather than just a small turbine for powering a single building. In which case, you're wrong, they do.

> They use them loads in Denmark

And having begun to see their mistake are now trying to reduce numbers.
In reply to Ben Darvill:
> Then someone takes the difficult option, tries to do something good and 100% environmentally friendly

That sort of nonsense achieves nothing. Of course wind turbines aren't 100% environmentally friendly (whatever that means). Nor are any of the alternatives of course. The choices that face us are which of the poor options to go for until fusion power becomes possible.
monks 29 Nov 2004
In reply to Ben Darvill:

perhaps they could be disguised as trees? like the mobile phone masts.
 McBirdy 29 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

"Of course wind turbines aren't 100% environmentally friendly (whatever that means)."

Fair point - obviously battery banks need to be periodically replaced etc. I was thinking in terms of emissions.

"The choices that face us are which of the poor options to go for until fusion power becomes possible."

Whether fusion will ever come online cannot be guaranteed - but you're right, it does seem like the holy grail. Slightly ironic that we're trying to recreate the conditions inside the sun - when energy from the sun is already readily harvestable already, albeit with an 8 minute lag...

My work takes me to the Scottish islands each summer. Some crofts/islands rely on diesel generators, some on wind turbines. The sight and sound of a small wind turbine is definitely preferable to the clatter and stench of a diesel generator.

Perhaps you're right? Perhaps continuing to burn fossil fuels is the answer. The resulting global warming will produce more frequent storms - so that when the fossil fuel runs out, wind power will be much more efficient...

Ben.
Sustainability Champions 29 Nov 2004
In reply to Sustainability Champions:
And for the official stats about fission power:
http://www.bnfl.co.uk/index.aspx?page=657
 Ridge 29 Nov 2004
In reply to Ben Darvill:
> Whether fusion will ever come online cannot be guaranteed - but you're right, it does seem like the holy grail. Slightly ironic that we're trying to recreate the conditions inside the sun - when energy from the sun is already readily harvestable already, albeit with an 8 minute lag...

Have they improved the efficiency of solar panels recently? Last I heard, (and I could be wrong here), it still took more energy to produce a solar panel than could be 'harvested' from it.
grumpytramp 29 Nov 2004
In reply to Sustainability Champions:
> http://www.embracewind.com/myths.html
>
> Official stats link!

Cobblers ...... official as in sponsered by British Wind Energy Association with the active support of the likes of N-Power,AMEC, SSSE, Scottish Power (along with such well known Green companies such as opencast miners such as HJ Banks and IH Brown, Barclays Bank, British Energy plc Ernst & Young, Corus etc)
 McBirdy 30 Nov 2004
In reply to Ridge:

"Have they improved the efficiency of solar panels recently? Last I heard, (and I could be wrong here), it still took more energy to produce a solar panel than could be 'harvested' from it."

And where does wind come from....? Differential heating of different areas of the globe by the sun causing high and low pressure areas. Wind power is solar power, albeit indirectly.

parsot 01 Dec 2004
In reply to UKC News:

There has been issues with bird kills, but there is also lots of work going on in how to prevent this in the future.

Turbines also produce noise, but less than an equivalent oil fuelled generator, and again there is lots of work into how to reduce the levels of noise pollution.

With power generation everything is relative and there has to be compromise. Wind turbines are an effective solution to our ever increasing demands for energy, yes they effect the visual landscape, yes they effect wild-life, and yes they create noise pollution, but compare them to offer forms of equivalent energy production and they come out quite favourably, especially when compared with fossil fuels, and nuclear.

I think it would be great if more research went into the use of small local turbines combined with solar panels, a combination that could allow some towns to be self supporting using turbines mounted on individual houses.

check out... http://www.renewabledevices.com/swift.htm

Finally, what we should all be doing is looking at ways of reducing our levels of energy consumption considerably. For instance we could get rid of neon shop signs, advertising hoardings, etc..
Seeinlay4details 01 Dec 2004
In reply to UKC News: In reply to Dave Stelmach: The real problem with wind turbines is that they are not environmentally friendly. A power station is a big massive thing and takes about a month to turn on. A wind turbine only runs when it’s windy. So when there's no wind blowing power stations must take the load. As they take so long to turn on then they must run all the time. Which means that even if YOUR power is from a turbine that day the station is still running and still pumping out CO2 etc.
Sorry guys, the "whole wind turbines are green" thing is green washing by power companies after the enviro subsidies.
 Neil Conway 02 Dec 2004
In reply to UKC News:

As an alternative, you could always go for the greener option of nuclear power.
The views from the west of the lakes are hardly effected by Sellafield.

http://home.freeuk.net/richardhallas/Pictures/lakes/83.jpg

Simon Caldwell 02 Dec 2004
In reply to Neil Conway:
Blimey, that's a powerful telephoto lens!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...