UKC

Climber - latest edition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skyfall 16 Dec 2004
Seems to be much closer to what I am after in a climbing mag;

* good article(s) re Don Whillans - putting our climbing in historical perspective

* article on Black Crag, Langdale - ideal for the mid grade climber I suppose - a bit lacking in detail on routes and not exactly a new crag for many of us I would guess - but interesting nonetheless

* better photos - realising that this is where OTE won hands down maybe?

Do you think Climber is taking pre-emptive action and getting itself in shape for competition with the new mag?
Witkacy 16 Dec 2004
In reply to TobyA:

> In the Whillan's article there was a "Don't" that should have been "Don's".

Its very annoying to see so many misplaced apostrophe’s. I ca’nt believe they called him Whillan though.

OP Skyfall 16 Dec 2004
In reply to TobyA:

Agreed re your two points - rather amateurish in that respect.

Why do I generally find myself agreeing with you? It's not in my nature normally
 TobyA 16 Dec 2004
In reply to JonC: I might do too much proof reading for work, but there were a number of typos that the editorial staff should have spotted. Its a tiny thing but really annoying when you have to re-read a sentence to work out the meaning because of mistakes. In the Whillans' article there was a "Don't" that should have been "Don's".

Other than that I also enjoyed it. I remember thinking when opening the double page with the B&W photo of Matinee on one side and Ed Douglas's as usual good text on the other, that I wish every two pages of the mag was like that.

Don't get me started on *'!$%**£!! Keith Rickaby going on about what crap TV programmes you can buy on DVD in his "Gear" review. Every year he does, and every year it annoys the F*** out of me. Keith man! You know your stuff on tents and jackets etc. Stick with what you know - that's why we buy the magazine!!!
 TobyA 16 Dec 2004
In reply to Witkacy:
> Its very annoying to see so many misplaced apostrophe’s. I ca’nt believe they called him Whillan though.

I'm sorry? I don't understand.

Big winky smilely thing
 BrianT 16 Dec 2004
In reply to JonC: No tits then?
OP Skyfall 16 Dec 2004
In reply to BrianT:

lol - it sounds like Don might have qualified as a bit of a tit but the only bazookas on show this month are in High. Have you gto a copy pinned to your desk?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Dec 2004
In reply to JonC:
And a nice "freebie"?

Chris
OP Skyfall 16 Dec 2004
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Erm, yes, actually. It's my current "bathrooom" reading. The climbing there looks great (lots in my grade range) and it's quite topical for me as I'm thinking of dragging the g/f off for some hot rock soon. What I was wondering is whether there are any good places to stay in the area, away from the main tourist traps. Want a nice holiday, not just a climbing trip. Any views?
OP Skyfall 16 Dec 2004
See this thread re my request for info..

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=111106
In reply to Chris Craggs: Yes Chris. Nice freebie. When are you giving us the rest of the book?
 stonewall 16 Dec 2004
In reply to Witkacy:

another Climber regular is their grammatical confusion over its and it's
In reply to Richard Bradley:
It should be in about five weeks - though the use of "giving" might be misunderstood!

Chris
In reply to JonC:
Get away from the coast and it is an untouristy as you could imagine. Hostals are a good bet of you are 'on the road'. Or you could mix and match - a week at the seaside and week in the hills.

Chris
 tobyfk 17 Dec 2004
In reply to JonC:

> Do you think Climber is taking pre-emptive action and getting itself in shape for competition with the new mag?

No. Aside from the absence of the 'Beta' section (which had increasingly become a report on what people were arguing about on here) I thought this month's Climber was similar to those that preceded. Bernard Newman is simply a more disciplined editor than his competitors and produces a consistently polished product. My main gripe would be that the apparently quite restricted list of contributors and photographers that BN uses can make the mag a bit too predictable.

The Ed Douglas article about Jim Perrin and his Whillans book was superbly written and, where it touched on Jim Perrin's own life, quite poignant.

BrianT 17 Dec 2004
In reply to JonC:
> (In reply to BrianT)
>
> lol - it sounds like Don might have qualified as a bit of a tit but the only bazookas on show this month are in High. Have you gto a copy pinned to your desk?

I've got the original photo. And the model herself, come to think of it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...