UKC

thailand climbing - railay seems to be back in business

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hotbad Peteel 30 Dec 2004
Railay seems to be open for business again and just a bit of drying out to be done. Link (from 8a.nu) http://www.railay.com/railay/intro/intro.shtml says that theres accommodation and fresh food and water available there. If you've got a holiday booked then go as the businesses are able to support tourists there and its the best way to keep the economy going. Obviously give some money to oxfam or whoever too, but don't give the thais a double whammy by cancelling your trip.

PT
 TN 30 Dec 2004
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:

My sister was supposed to be going to Thailand in March and the holiday firm rang her today to cancel her booking. I am not sure exactly where she was supposed to be going though...
In reply to TN:

I think 2 of the resorts were really badly hit. She could ask to go to a different resort.
PT
markborders 30 Dec 2004

I had my holiday cancelled as I was standing in Manchester airport on monday morning , totally unaware of what was going on
they phoned me this morning offering to fly me out to Krabi (ao nang bay) to the hotel I originally booked

confusing??
Matrixboy 30 Dec 2004
In reply to markborders:

Yeah it's all really confusing. I'm meant to be heading to Krabi in one week. The problem at the moment is that the Foreign Office is saying don't head there.

This messes up the travel insurance situation. I don't think people heading there from the UK will be covered if something happens to them.
In reply to Matrixboy:

phone the insurance company and ask them. Tell them the situation and save yourself alot of heartache. If you get a good response post it here and let everyone else know.
PT
 CDL 31 Dec 2004
In reply to Hotbad Peteel: I have relay enjoyed climbing at Krabi and the Pee Pee islands on two trips there.The people were tremendous and we had a great time. I cant believe the devastation that there is there now - and all over the region affected. I'm not into sending cash donations for these appeals but I would relay like to help out physically some how - by going there, or anywhere that they need help.Anybody know of anybody looking for volunteers ?
Craig Mercer 10 Jan 2005

Just wanted to pass on some information to you all. I have just got back from Thailand it is fair to say that there has been a lot of loss of life and a great deal of damage to property. A lot of the beach front bars in Tonsai beach are no longer but the majority of the hotels in Ao Nang, Tonsai and Railay have reopened. Railay was particularly lucky as the wave broke quite far offshore. So the wave hitting the shore line was not as big as in other areas. There was a lot of superficial damage to the swimming pools and some of the hotel resturants but hotel owners are keen to get people back to the resorts. I would encourage this as the best way to support the Thai community is by visting the country and providing the all important life line of tourism. It is fair to say that the climbing in Thailand still rocks, and if you are still a bit wary of visting the beach then go up to Chiang Mai and climb at Crazy Horse. The rock there is just as good. See www.climbingthailand.com for more information.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...