UKC

11 Year Old Climbs 8c

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 05 Jan 2005
Adam Ondara, the amazing 11 year old Czech climber, has broken another record by becoming the youngest person to have ever climbed an 8c. The route is called Mascherina and can be found in the Grotta dell Aeronauta.
This completes a remarkable sequence of ascents made over the last 12 months. In March he onsighted 2 8a+'s in France; in April he onsighted some more 8a+'s and did an 8b; in June he became the youngest person to climb 8b+ and now he has added an 8c to the list. Adam is currently rated 10th in the 8a.nu rankings. Who knows what will happen when he starts developing some real muscles as a teenager!

Source - http://www.8a.nu/site2/

UKC News - http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
Carl Davies 05 Jan 2005
In reply to UKC News:

Oh great! Thanks for posting that. Now I feel more of a punter than before.

I hope he doesn't get distracted by other teenage problems and keeps climbing.
 Skyfall 05 Jan 2005
In reply to UKC News:

So my on-sight flash of a 6b+ at the wall last night wasn't that impressive then?
 lost1977 05 Jan 2005
In reply to JonC:

well done , not quite 8c but if you enjoyed it

Phil
 Skyfall 05 Jan 2005
In reply to lost1977:

I wasn't looking for thanks (it was intended as a joke) but thanks anyway

More to the point, how can an 11 year old climb 8c? I'd have thought any power to weight ratio advantage would easily be outweighed by other physical factors. Or is he 6ft tall and pumping weights already? And wouldn't all that training (I assume) be bad for him in the long-term?
 Chris the Tall 05 Jan 2005
In reply to UKC News:
Very impressive, but what's he ever done on grit

(someone had to say it...)
DaveC at Work 05 Jan 2005
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> Very impressive, but what's he ever done on grit
>
> (someone had to say it...)

Hopefully he'll bever come near it, could be embarrassing!

GrahamD 05 Jan 2005
In reply to JonC:

> More to the point, how can an 11 year old climb 8c? I'd have thought any power to weight ratio advantage would easily be outweighed by other physical factors.

Clearly not ! maybe supleness and flexibility count for a lot more than we realise ?

Another thing to watch is whether his motivation can be maintained once he discovers being a teenager ..
 Paz 05 Jan 2005
In reply to GrahamD:

Possibly it's a 300 mile long overhanging wall, where stamina may be of some use.
Anonymous 05 Jan 2005
In reply to UKC News:

Wait until his fingers grow and what is now a jug becomes a 2 finger pocket!
 BrianT 06 Jan 2005
In reply to DaveC at Work:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
> [...]
>
> Hopefully he'll bever come near it, could be embarrassing!

Bet he can't jam to save his life.
potted shrimp 06 Jan 2005
In reply to UKC News: Oh god, just when we thought we were improving...
 Stu Tyrrell 06 Jan 2005
In reply to UKC News: Reminds me of World Champs in Birmingham, this muscular Romainslovachgarian climbed brilliantly, then after he finished, he came down into the seating area, he was only about 5 feet tall?

Bahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Stu
 John Alcock 06 Jan 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:
Before anyone else asks..what's he done on gritstone...or for that matter shale?
Billy De Kid 06 Jan 2005
In reply to UKC News:
Either he is a one off or the future of hard climbing will be seen more and more in people of his age.
Murdy 06 Jan 2005
In reply to GrahamD:

Surely flexibility is cheating?!
 GrahamD 07 Jan 2005
In reply to Murdy:

In my book, anybody who can climb 8C has to be cheating somehow
J2 07 Jan 2005
In reply to UKC News:

Lets turn this on its head, what about Oldest person to climb a grade??

Anyone over 60s climbing High E grades?
Danjou 07 Jan 2005
I say good luck to the little fella. x
 EsT 12 Jan 2005
In reply to UKC News: Why do people always say something about strength to weight ratios when talking about kids climbing. Surely strength to weight ratio improves with puberty? I know mine did.
Martin Simunek 12 Jan 2005
In reply to UKC News:
Photos and video of this ascent are on http://www.czechclimbing.com/
Enjoy...
 Jon Greengrass 12 Jan 2005
In reply to UKC News:

he's a midget!!

fingers that small count as aid in my book.
Anonymous 12 Jan 2005
In reply to EsT:
> (In reply to UKC News) Why do people always say something about strength to weight ratios when talking about kids climbing. Surely strength to weight ratio improves with puberty? I know mine did.

I imagine that's it's because people assume that strenght is a squared function of linear dimensions, and that weight is cubed function (this is perfectly logical). Of course, you would also have to assume that small people are just scaled down versions of big people, which seems less likely

Mark.

EsT 12 Jan 2005
In reply to Anonymous: Don't understand the maths, well I do understand the maths, but don't see why this makes sense. The biology says that when you hit puberty, especially as a bloke, the proportion of your body that is muscle increases significantly, hence your strength to weight ratio increases. That's why sprinters are faster at 25 than 12, and why male gymnasts are better at 25 than 12.
Anonymous 12 Jan 2005
In reply to EsT:
> (In reply to Anonymous) Don't understand the maths, well I do understand the maths, but don't see why this makes sense.

It's because the strength of a muscle is proportional to it's cross sectional area (i.e. number of muscle fibre) and hence it's area, whilst weight is proportional to volume.

> The biology says that when you hit puberty, especially as a bloke, the proportion of your body that is muscle increases significantly, hence your strength to weight ratio increases.

Exactly, that's why I would question the assumption that small people are simply scaled up versions of big people.

> That's why sprinters are faster at 25 than 12, and why male gymnasts are better at 25 than 12.

I'd agree with you about the gymnast (although I don't know how much of gymnastic success is due to strength). The sprinter example isn't really valid because you're still comparing absolute times rather than scaled times.

I'm sure someone must have looked at power to weight in different age groups.

Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...