UKC

Missing Climbers on BMC Meet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm very concerned to read about these two climbers, one Scot and one Czech missing in the Cairngorms in very poor weather. It must be awful for them and for everyone on the meet. I hope so much that they are found safe and well soon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4312279.stm
 Mark Lydon 03 Mar 2005
In reply to Alison Stockwell:

Both climbers found safe on Thursday morning - had spent Wednesday in a snow hole to escape the bad weather.

Mark

TobyA 03 Mar 2005
In reply to Mark Lydon: Good for them. It's mobile phones isn't it? Now if someone doesn't get down in the evening and doesn't phone in, everyone presumes the worse. I think it's an Andy Nisbet story about running off Ben Nevis one morning having spent the night out in an emergency snow shelter, to get down to the police station by 9 am to report in safe before the MRT got called out. Getting there a bit late, very apologetic, and the desk sergent saying: "never mind lads, we had 16 reported missing last night, but you two aren't on the list". Their mate who had known what they were up to had gone to a party and forgotten he was meant to check they were down safe!
 Jiffy 03 Mar 2005
In reply to TobyA:

There's a wee bit on the BBC 'ere:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4312279.stm
 TobyA 03 Mar 2005
In reply to Jiffy: Bugger all the 'power of nature' stuff. What route did they do? According to the BBC they had "completed one of the hardest technical climbs in the Cairngorms" The Needle? Fittingly it would have to be "From Dusk till Dawn" variation!
 Stuart S 03 Mar 2005
In reply to TobyA:

According to this mornings Press and Journal, the climb they were on was on "the western grooves of the Shelter Stone Crag and rated five out of five in terms of difficulty". Gosh.

Glad to hear they've been found safe and well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...