UKC

Ben Bransby & Pete Robbins FFA of American classic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 duncan 23 Mar 2005
News via Andy Donson in Boulder: Ben Bransby and Pete Robbins have made the first free ascent of The Finger of Fate route on The Titan, one of the Fisher Towers in Utah. No grade as yet. Reportedly it was their first route in the desert. The Finger of Fate is eight pitches of crumbling coarse sandstone, like a very soft and dusty gritstone in nature, on the largest of the Fishers. More details of the route and photos of previous ascents here:
http://www.climbingmoab.com/rock/db/fisher_towers/the_titan/finger_of_fate....

Stevie Haston had made a determined attempt to free the route in the mid-1990's, getting as far as the final bolt ladder but was foiled by hard climbing protected by 30+ year-old bolts in soft rock. His consolation was a first clean (no hammered gear) ascent. The route was rebolted in 2004, probably making this pitch a more reasonable proposition.

The Finger of Fate route was first climbed by Layton Kor in 1962 with the ascent given the full-colour treatment in National Geographic magazine. The climb is featured in Fifty Classic Climbs of North America, a US version of 'Hard Rock' and is a popular route despite the reputation of the Fishers for loose rock and dirt .
Anonymous 23 Mar 2005
In reply to duncan:

Good effort. I've heard surprisingly competent parties have sometimes failed even to aid this route...

jcm
 yer maw 23 Mar 2005
In reply to duncan: sounds like a fantastic effort and achievement and who knows waht they will go on to do in the time they have left.

Ben Bransby and Dave MacLeod are easily the best trad rock climbers in Britain at the moment (imo) with a real spirit of adventure, and I hope they'll team up one day.
 Chris Fryer 24 Mar 2005
In reply to duncan: I'm not sure you can compare desert sandstone to gritstone; literally chalk and cheese.
 tobyfk 24 Mar 2005
In reply to Chris Fryer:
> (In reply to duncan) I'm not sure you can compare desert sandstone to gritstone; literally chalk and cheese.

Wrong: the Fishers are very much an eroded gritstone (with a side order of mud).
me. 25 Mar 2005
In reply to tobyfk: Agree ..the overall quality the rock on the Finger Of Fate route is excellent and very simular to the UK gritstone.Of course unlike the Gritstone it is not a 40'boulder problem.
 tobyfk 27 Mar 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

> Good effort. I've heard surprisingly competent parties have sometimes failed even to aid this route...
> jcm

If you're referring to the Southern English Veterans attempt in October last year, I think it should be pointed out that only one of us 'failed'. Duncan clean-aided all of the hard (and still sometimes pegged) sections flawlessly ....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...