UKC

No Climbing at Horseshoe!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john horscroft 01 Apr 2005
The Bmc have just completed the purchase of Horseshoe quarry! Contracts were exchanged yesterday and everyone's favourite hole in the ground is now ours, all ours!!!! (Good effort Henry Folkard and others)

Now, the really important question is what do we do about the painted No Climbing signs? I reckon we should paint out the one on the boulder by the parking, but the one on the the main wall should stay as a historical document. Blimey, it's even on the Topo's!

Whatdoyareckon?
 UKB Shark 01 Apr 2005
In reply to john horscroft:

It would be good to drive up to the foot of the crag - the walk in was a bit tiring
In reply to Simon Lee:

Right, We'll get those boulders moved straight away.......
 GrahamD 01 Apr 2005

And wait for the travellers to roll right on in ....
 Dominion 01 Apr 2005

> I reckon we should paint out the one on the boulder by the parking

or add

Not!

Jamie B 01 Apr 2005

Subsidised clipping for the masses; hurrah.
Derbyshire Ben 01 Apr 2005

That's great news John.. Keep the boulders at the entrace otherwise it'll be full of burned out cars and other stuff before you know it.

I reckon the 'no-climbing' at the foot of the main wall should stay too.
 Guy 01 Apr 2005
In reply to Derbyshire Ben:
> (In reply to john horscroft)
>
>
> I reckon the 'no-climbing' at the foot of the main wall should stay too.

with a proviso "unless you really have to"
Anonymous 01 Apr 2005

Seconded on both counts.

Offwidth@home (even if Chocolate Blancmanche Gully is the only route there in my ticklst
jim@thecrag 01 Apr 2005

Turn the boulder into an honesty box for funds to replace the inevitably stripped bolts.
In reply to All:

Yeah, not really going to remove the boulders. We may even ask Tarmac (our chums) to put some REALLY BIG boulders in the way to prevent incursions by undesirables.
In reply to jim@thecrag:

Uh, what?
Derbyshire Ben 01 Apr 2005
In reply to jim@thecrag:

>Turn the boulder into an honesty box for funds to replace the inevitably stripped bolts.

??
Anonymous 01 Apr 2005

Whats this about big boulders: some of the undesirable scamps are more likely to boulder V2 than some climbers that want to visit.

Offwisth@home
 Jamie B 01 Apr 2005

Playing devil's advocate, surely there is "no climbing" at Horseshoe anyway? Just a pseudo-climbing form of crag exercise?

*Runs away and hides behind his Moacs*
jim@thecrag 01 Apr 2005

Having a laugh, sorry.
Its just that sometimes you get mad trad heads that decide to strip places cos they can lead it on gear, and that sort of thing, even tho its a nominated bmc sport venue.

????

I remember also last time the place was full of travellers. I dont think they were too bad, left a bit of mess thogh. and the fact they are all willing you to fall off
In reply to Jamie B.:

Purely a gymanstic pursuit old boy............
In reply to jim@thecrag:

Oh, I reckon we're safe from Ken and the boys at Horseshoe Jim. Once we install the machine gun nests and booby-trap the available trad placements with axle grease they'll have a job stripping anything.

Oh yeah, the travellers did make cups of tea for some climbers. P'raps we could invits them back?
 Jamie B 01 Apr 2005

> Oh, I reckon we're safe from Ken and the boys at Horseshoe Jim. Once we install the machine gun nests and booby-trap the available trad placements with axle grease they'll have a job stripping anything.

THERE ARE AVAILABLE TRAD PLACEMENTS!!??

*BREAKING NEWS* Highland village flattened as enraged trad climber explodes...
 Fidget 01 Apr 2005
In reply to Simon Lee:

The walk in was tiring? Are you joking? I went there last autumn, and remember it being a flat path that wasn't very long?
 Chris the Tall 01 Apr 2005
The sign at the entrance has said "To climbing" for the last year or so - very helpful for the navigationally challenged.

As for the suggestion of allow car parking at the base of the crag - it would completely ruin the aethestic appeal of the place. But how about rigging up some lighting so we climb in the evenings
 UKB Shark 01 Apr 2005
In reply to Sarah_Clough: Through the gate and past the boulder is uphill - you must have very big calves
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Yeah, must be a nearby pylon we can nick some juice from...........
In reply to Simon Lee:

Especially carrying all that gear. Oh, but then, of course you dont need any.........
 UKB Shark 01 Apr 2005
In reply to john horscroft: ...in-situ quickdraws ? Outstanding
Anonymous 01 Apr 2005
In reply to Jamie B.:

Oh yeah - quite a lot of these routes were done on trad gear originally.

Having said that, it was a poxy hole in the ground then and it's a poxy hole in the ground now. I can't say I care.

jcm
 Dominion 01 Apr 2005

Not when there are all those chockstones around...
Michael 01 Apr 2005
> The Bmc have just completed the purchase of Horseshoe quarry! Contracts were exchanged yesterday and everyone's favourite hole in the ground is now ours, all ours!!!! (Good effort Henry Folkard and others)
>
> Now, the really important question is what do we do about the painted No Climbing signs? I reckon we should paint out the one on the boulder by the parking, but the one on the the main wall should stay as a historical document. Blimey, it's even on the Topo's!
>
> Whatdoyareckon?

Just a subtle line through the No would be sufficient!
Michael 01 Apr 2005
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Derbyshire Ben)
>
> Seconded on both counts.
>
> Offwidth@home (even if Chocolate Blancmanche Gully is the only route there in my ticklst

Chocolate Blancmange Gully is on the bit of land we didn't acquire!

John,

You'd better keep Henry on the job until we own the whole lot!
In reply to Simon Lee:

You know it makes sense..........
In reply to Michael:

You jest, Henry's always on the job. Ooh er, that doesn't sound quite kocher.........
 dominic_s 01 Apr 2005
In reply to john horscroft: change the "n" in "no climbing" to a "g"...
In reply to dominic_s: That would be promoting climbing and we ain't allowed to do that
 Jamie B 01 Apr 2005
In reply to jcm:

John, you fail to spot the intended self-parody of my postings. Traditionalist though I may be, I won't be getting worked up about what is clearly a very useful resource for non-climbers.
In reply to Jamie B.:

Made me chuckle Jamie.............
In reply to GraemeA at home:

Oh, I dunno, it's just an exhortation not a command...
 Dave Stelmach 02 Apr 2005
In reply to Jamie B.: Yes, subsidised by BMC members, and affiliates of course.
 The Crow 07 Apr 2005

Well done and thank-you!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...