UKC

quiet campsite in Co Wicklow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
dinkypen 11 Jul 2005
The man and I are heading over to S Ireland at the end of the month, flying in to Dublin and probably basing ourselves in Co Wicklow from where we hope to explore the coastline and mountains of that area. Can anybody recommend a quiet campsite in that County? A trawl through Google has picked up several 'camping and caravanning' sites but these are NOT what we want!

Cheers
 Jus 11 Jul 2005
In reply to dinkypen:

We found a a definite lack of that sort of campsite in the area. Ended up b&bing.

Perhaps a local will know of one.
dinkypen 11 Jul 2005
In reply to Jus:

Hmm, I have spent ages on the web and can't find anything. Have emailed the tourist office - hopefully they can recommend somewhere!
 GrahamD 11 Jul 2005
In reply to dinkypen:

We never found anything along those lines. We ended up staying in Roundwood, which is pleasent enough but definately your standard Caravan and Camping site affair.
 Frank4short 11 Jul 2005
In reply to dinkypen: Hey that i know of there aren't really any camping only type campsites in Wicklow. Infact i don't even know of a whole lot of caravan type campsites their either. Most people i know when camping in Wicklow usually wild camp. There is that or try hostels, if you want to go down the hostels route, you could also try contacting the IMC about use of their hut in the Glendasan Valley (next valley over just beside Glendalough).

If you want any more info drop me a line through the site & i'll see what i can do for you n andy to help.
 Frank4short 11 Jul 2005
In reply to Frank4short: The IMC may also let you camp in the Garden of the hut mentioned in the previous message but you'll have to contact them directly inorder to find out about this. Details on the hut here: http://poneill.ucd.ie/imc/
 Chris Fryer 11 Jul 2005
In reply to GrahamD: I think we stayed in the one in Roundwood too (small village with two pubs and a caff?) It was definitely a C and C affair, but was quiet and friendly and had all the amenities you would need.

try contacting http://www.theshortspan.com and see if they have any better ideas?
 Jus 11 Jul 2005
In reply to dinkypen:

We were planning on wild camping in Glendalough but there was a big sign forbidding it.
dinkypen 11 Jul 2005
In reply to Frank4short:

Taa Frank - have emailed them
dinkypen 11 Jul 2005
In reply to Chris Fryer:
> (In reply to GrahamD) I think we stayed in the one in Roundwood too (small village with two pubs and a caff?) It was definitely a C and C affair, but was quiet and friendly and had all the amenities you would need.

Do you have any contact details for the place where you stayed? I have Googled and only found a scout campsite!
>
> try contacting http://www.theshortspan.com and see if they have any better ideas?

Taa - have emailed them
 Frank4short 11 Jul 2005
In reply to Jus: You can't actually wild camp in Glendalough, but there are litterally dozens of places in the boulder field to bivvy. Or if you'd prefer the shelter of a tent but don't mind a slight walk there's always the upper valley or Glendasan the next valley over (bout 45mins walk from the crag or roughly speaking 15mins extra on the walk from the car park).
 Frank4short 11 Jul 2005
In reply to dinkypen: If the worst come to the worst you could always camp in back garden & you can either bus to wicklow or if you're renting a car it's about 30/40mins drive Glendalough or most places in the centre of the Wicklow Mts.
 GrahamD 11 Jul 2005
In reply to dinkypen:

The phone No. for the campsite is (or was): 00 353 1 2818 163

I can't find any more information in my old emails, I'm afraid.
 GrahamD 11 Jul 2005
In reply to Chris Fryer:

Three pubs and 2 cafes from memory ! A small village to support that number, really.
dinkypen 11 Jul 2005
In reply to GrahamD:

Cracking! Just spoke to the guy and they have a website http://www.dublinwicklowcamping.com Looks like a decent spot and they don't have special facilities for children, so it shouldn't be overrun with families
 Jus 11 Jul 2005
In reply to Frank4short:

I took camping/ bivvying to mean the same thing.
 Frank4short 11 Jul 2005
In reply to Jus: Nah, you're allowed bivvy overnight (you could even pitch a tent, if ou ptich it late & take it down early). You're just not allowed to set up the preverbial camp. Somewhat akin to the french attitude in the likes of Cham.

There are loads of massive holes under boulders there to bivvy in, spent many's a night under the boulders there back in the day. Nowadays we tend to just drive down for the day, unless there's somewthing on eg. bouldering meet, in which case we sleep in the hut.
 Chris Fryer 11 Jul 2005
In reply to dinkypen: That looks like the very spot. Some good routes to do in Glendalough, don't just boulder!!
dinkypen 11 Jul 2005
In reply to Chris Fryer:

We are mainly going to explore the walking/running potential in the mountains, rather than the climbing/bouldering in the area
dinkypen 11 Jul 2005
In reply to dinkypen:

Oh, and the guy at Roundwood also told me about http://www.camping-ireland.ie which is very useful! Found another two decent camping sites in the area
pooh 11 Jul 2005
In reply to dinkypen: I can also recommend Roundwood, plus it happens to be the highest town in Ireland. But if you want somewhere a little quieter and out the way. We found a lovely little campsite at Rathdrum, just south of Roodwood, but only if you like the sound of running water and weirs, the river runs along the back of the campsite.
Just found the site on the web

http://www.avonmoreriverside.com/about.html

Warning: I might have rose coloured memories, first time we had managed to dump the kids on grandparents and get away for a long time!
dinkypen 11 Jul 2005
In reply to Stew.G:

Thanks Stew - that one came up on the camping-ireland.ie website that the guy at Roundwood recommended. It also happens to be the cheapest out of the 3 I have now looked at!
Dub Dom 13 Jul 2005
If you want to keep things really cheap and you are travelling by car, then try Glenmalure(which is also ideal for mountain walking and running- you're right at the foot of lug). It should be reasonably quiet down there, even though there are usually one or two tents pitched there at the weekends in the summer. The IMC hut might also be a good bet, I wouldn't have thought that Glendalough would make for a good camp, other than for an overnight bivvy. I found that the rangers are very relaxed about wild camping in general provided you don't make a mess.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...