UKC

Ghosts etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve Parker 14 Jul 2005
A continuation, really, to a previous thread. I did the Midi-Plan traverse by myself a few years ago, went down the glacier and bivvied out a few hundred metres down the path from the hut (the Requin?). About 2 in the morning I was awoken by the sound of footsteps coming up the path. I stuck my head out the bivvy bag. I could see about 10 metres along the path in each direction. There was no one there. I thought for a while that it might be a chamois, or stonefall, but I could see too much, and it wasn't. Then the footsteps carried on right past me, literally right past me as if there was someone walking along the path - I was about 2 metres from the path. This happened repeatedly for about 2 hours and scared the shit out of me. In the morning I got down on to the glacier and the first thing I found was a rucksack coming up out of the ice containing a pair of boots and a pen-knife and some other personal belongings, the possessions of a dead person. I'm not saying anything: make your own mind up, but it was a scary night.
 Ands 14 Jul 2005
In reply to Steve Parker:

I used to spend quite a bit of time staying at Boleskine House. The old abode of one Mr Aleister Crowley (a climber himself in his day if a somewhat controversial one). I saw nothing to lead me to believe that there were any spirits/ghosts or anything of that nature present in this world. I cannot imagine that there are any greater potential hotbeds for that type of activity in the world. This being the case I do not now nor will ever believe in ghosts nor spirits of any nature until one presents itself to me.

Cheers,

Ands
In reply to Ands:

How did you get in there? Was that not owned by one of them of 'Stairway to Heaven' fame (my senility is getting worse), sorry.
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:

Led Fcukin Zeppelin.
Doh.
This replying to yourself in the middle of the night is sh1te.
Jamie monks 14 Jul 2005
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre: Could be doing worse things in the middle of the night i guess...
 Ands 14 Jul 2005

Yeah it was owned by Jimmy Page at the time. I was best mates with he factors' (bloke who was looking after it for Page) son so was out there a lot. I used to spend a lot of time at Foyers with my uncles also as the owned a caravan and boats down there so ended up meeting Malcom Jnr through my uncles/his Dad. Pretty excellent house. There is a table in the dining room that had 13 seats around it. They all had name plates on them. I think these were the members of the Golden Dawn or something. Or the inner sanctum/elite at least. Not big on the occult scene though have read a few biographies on Crowley himself but find a lot of what he wrote himself to be arrogant self indulgent crap. Anyway I can only mind one of the names of those plaques on the chairs and it was Rudolph Valentino the famous actor. I am sure that there was another famous person but I canny mind the name. Mad place in beautiful surroundings. I would love to buy it if I ever came into money.

Page has since sold it. I was out there a couple of years ago (out at Foyers a lot more though) having a nose about for old times sake and got informed they would call the police if we didn't leave. Fair enough they must get loads of hassle from occult trippers. Not exactly going to turn around and say that I had stayed there before as if I had some kind of right to be there. I read they were running it as B&B for a while. Think they had to stop it though as they were getting some more obsessive occultists than it was worth.

Ands
 Ands 14 Jul 2005
> (In reply to I am the God of Strathyre)
>
> Led Fcukin Zeppelin.
> Doh.
> This replying to yourself in the middle of the night is sh1te.

Ach I do it all the time too...
In reply to Ands:

I'm going to put my hand on this glass...
Is there anybody there?

Ah well. Yeah I think Crowley would just be an ego- maniac. A sort of less harmful Charles Manson type character.
It's amazing what some folk will spout if they think they'll get a sh@g out of it.
I've been known to myself.
OP Steve Parker 16 Jul 2005
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre: Yes an ego-maniac, also probably a genius. And I HAVE read his stuff. Some of it is utterly inspiring; some of it, admittedly, is puerile. Complex guy.
Yrmenlaf 16 Jul 2005

I remember working late in the Isle of Man Office (late means eleven pm - a complex story that stars the Manx Postal System)

I heard this sound like slow, heavy, footsteps.

So I thinks there is an intruder, and starts to clatter around (on the basis that they are likely to be as scared as I, and will want out). The footsteps continue...

Turns out it is a computer backing up. I felt well silly.

Y.
In reply to Yrmenlaf: There weren't any computers out over the Mer de Glace that night though. I fully accept the possibility that there is some rational explanation for what I heard - I just can't think of one!
epik 16 Jul 2005

grew up in a haunted house so a full believer in ghosts! don't try to explain what it was just remember the story for round the campfire and i hope you picked up the rucksack and took it to the authorities/mountain rescue!
In reply to epik:

Subjects like this send shivers up my spine.

My uncle lives in a church cottage dating from 16/1700's. When his eldest son harvey was 3, he was heard talking in his bedroom. David went to see if he was ok and when he entered the room harvey plainly said "hi daddy", upon asking who harvey is talking too he relpies "the little girl", which little girl? david asks to which harvey points in front of him and says "the one over there!"
This happened again in the garden a few days later at which point the local vicar was called, who enforms them that he does detect a presence in the house with the likely hood that it is that of a young girl who died after falling down the stairs over 100 years ago.

Following this visit the little girl has not been seen again.
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain:

Other stories from my family include pots clattering occasionally which stopped when my great granny says firmly "now then george!" and again the overwhelming feeling of my great granny not to look up whilst doing the pots and the discovery of the tale of a young man's death following being dragged down the garden path behind a horse and chucked down the well visible from the kitchen window.

Make what you want of them, but im a firm believe in spirits living on. But i cant, so dont try and explain them.
epik 16 Jul 2005

i love these type of stories but in my case the son was me and my parents walked into my bedroom to find me talking to "grandad". too young to remember it but they were pretty freaked out and so many things happened in our house it simply was undeniable. used to be a pub and teh landlord had a heart attack before my dads company bought the house and ajoining workshop. previous employee was offered the house to live in but he lasted one night and moved out as said he say ghost walking up stairs. we moved in and all sorts of shit happened but couldn't afford to move out and it was kind of fun. we eventually bought the house and the ghost settled down alot as we put alot of the house back to how it was originally but since sold house and my dad visited the new owners who have since had visits again but glad to say they dont seem to be freaked out just more curious! in the period after we moved out and the house was empty for a while my dad went back to collect post etc and was "re aqainted" with the ghost! i almost miss the house now and it always helps talking to non-believers to confuss them with things they can't explain like things being moved in the night! love these stories shame we don't have a campfire
In reply to epik:

wow. freaky stuff. im not scared of them, just freaks me out... as long as they cant harm you!?
Im going to be living down there for the next 6 weeks working so hopefully i wont have any encounters - i dont think i have yet
epik 16 Jul 2005

no never seemed to harm anyone was more stupid messing around type stuff like moving furniture, turning on taps, flushing toilet in middle of night and lots of footsteps which i think you get used to ignoring so no longer notice until someone else points them out. used to be fun though and great for scaring scouts late at night on camp with various stories! know people that have had "nasty" ghosts but ours was never really a problem!
 Ands 16 Jul 2005
> (In reply to I am the God of Strathyre) Yes an ego-maniac, also probably a genius. And I HAVE read his stuff. Some of it is utterly inspiring; some of it, admittedly, is puerile. Complex guy.

What would you reccomend of his work then? I have read The Moonchild and just though it was a very fragmented and labourious read. I devour novels/books in general so reccomend me something, preferably the best one that is accessible reading to a non occultist and I will read it. I generally consider him to have been a playboy who liked getting high and having sex. Not a lot shocking about that. The whole "beast" deal and the fame that came with it gave him a platform upon which to put across his radical (for it's day) philosophies. Great house all the same! Nice wee bit of rock up the back as well. I can only imagne he would have climbed it himself and know he certainly rock climbed a water fall across the loch from the house itself as I have read about it previously. Reportedly he caught the hill bug on Sgurr Nan Gillean as a youth.

Ands
 Oli 16 Jul 2005
In reply to epik: I remember when I was little (9/10ish) I went into my room one night without turning the light on and there was a white man with a top hat who looked a bit like Willy Wonker. I then turned the light on pretty sharpish and I couldn't see it any more.

Don't know whether it was actually anything, but I know that there used to be a chapel in the corner of our garden.
In reply to Ands: Moonchild, I agree, pretty damn poor - as was Diary of a Drug Fiend. Not a good novel writer by any means. If you want to get to the heart of him, read Magick in Theory and Practice. Beware though, he's an inveterate pisstaker and ironist. But in his work of comparative religion, he is up there with the very best. If you want to understand his 'religion' read the Book of the Law, which I regard as an inspired text. In the same way that the Tao te King might be considered to be inspired. You don't have to be a religious maniac to get something out of it. If you do, get in touch and I'll get the cockerels and virgins ready for the full moon.
epik 16 Jul 2005
In reply to Oli:

i thought you were going to say it was your clothes or something in a way of saying i could have been seeing things but you turn out to be a believer. many have suggested up explanations but the best things are those unexplainables! wish i could remember seeing things though as all the weird going ons don't compare to an actual sighting for pure cool factor!

p.s. how big was your garden?
 Ands 16 Jul 2005

You will need to remeber that I am a backward Highlander and that many folk around these here parts wouldn't even walk past Mr Crowely's house when he was occupying it.

Are these virgins of the 4 legged and wooly variety as if not then I will have to pass sorry...

I will give Magick in Theory and Practice a go as I have always quite fancied reading it.

Nice one Omen II has just come on BBC1. Good timing.

Ands
 Simon 16 Jul 2005

ive seen and heard things in the past that it would take ages to describe here but the on a climbing sorta theme – room 2 in the Chequers at Froggatt is haunted & I had guests leave because of sightings – and they didn’t know it was haunted…

more recently – I work at the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield in a block that used to be an old workhouse & after that a ward

I work weekends some times with no one in the building & hear footsteps out side the office – I go & look when it happens just to see if anyone’s there to say Hi – and when I go – no ones there.

This has been happening more often to the point to where late at night I will be leaving & the door down a stairwell will slam & 2 seconds later & will be there to see who did it & theres no one there..

More worrying is the crying & the talking we hear when there is no one around – that freaks me out a bit - its not over hearing talking as normal – its jibberish and as much as I rationalise that people are doing these things – when I am 2 secs away from it & try to see them – theres no one around….

How many people died in that building? Dunno - 100’s - I seem to be picking up a few!

;0)

Si
epik 16 Jul 2005
In reply to Simon:

dark hospital wards, being alone at night and voices now your talking scary (hospitals always give me shivers for some bizarre reason)! get a tape recorder and your in your very own sixth sense movie!
Steven Martin 16 Jul 2005
What sort of rucksac was it? could you give it an approximate date? Also what sort of penknife and boots? What else was in the sack that might date it? Any personal effects?
What part of the glacier was it on? Was it near the edge or the centre, level or steep, smooth or crevassed?

What did you do with the rucksack?
 Simon 17 Jul 2005
In reply to epik:

its got loads of stories and the people before me say there is a "grey lady" that people have seen..

i have heard things that i know are not from people & footsteps when there is no one around - the greatest story came from a couple in room 2 of the Chequres at Froggatt..

They saw an old lady walk across the room ... wanted to check out the next day - i asked which room & they said room 2... i tried to keep them - but they were so spooked they wanted out asap!

In reply to Simon:

note to everyone: dont stay in room 2 at the chequres at froggatt unless your into close encounters of the 3rd kind
OP Steve Parker 17 Jul 2005
In reply to Ands: Sorry, didn't realise I was talking to a backward Celt. I am also a Celt but from the superior Irish breed (hahahaha). So, if you want to read about the occult, maybe you should seek out some Harry Potter instead?
In reply to Steven Martin: I would put it at early seventies, judging by the boots, rucksack style etc. I didn't do anything with it as it was kind of stuck in the ice. Also, I was knackered. But it had clearly been lost in an 'incident.'
epik 17 Jul 2005
> (In reply to Simon)
>
> note to everyone: dont stay in room 2 at the chequres at froggatt unless your into close encounters of the 3rd kind

isn't the 3rd kind aliens? what are the 1st and 2nd kind?
epik 17 Jul 2005

i don't know if such a resource exists but is their anywhere you could look up accidents or lost parties in the area for that period? i think ghosts often are trying to lead you to something for example our house had had its cellar blocked up before we moved in and the ghost activity seemed to slow down after we had discovered it and opened it up again!
Steven Martin 17 Jul 2005
In reply to epik:

Thre were hundreds of people killed in the seventies in that area, and the period could also include the sixties and eighties. Also, that spot where the rucksack was found is on the most popular winter ski run, down the Vallee Blanche. The stuff could have entered the glacier at any part of the glacier right up to the Col du Geant, Col du Trident or Col du Midi. If it was a climber, then any of the rock from Dent du Geant all the way round to Aig du Plan could have been the source of the accident. There again, someone could have dropped thier rucksack down a crevasse, or down a rock face into a bergrshrund.
There is a lot of lost gear in that area, especially ski sticks and skis embedded in the ice. I remember seeing some rather nice sunglassess about 6" below the ice. I was bivvying in that area, (a little cave above the Requin) and I lost a boot which rolled all the way down to the Geant Icefall.
epik 17 Jul 2005
In reply to Steven Martin:

OK so scrap that idea
 Rob Exile Ward 17 Jul 2005
In reply to Steve Parker: Late jumping here but despite being not just sceptical but totally disbelieving I've had two such experiences. 1) Stayed in the woodshed of the Sciora hut many years ago - in the middle of the night heard Italian voices going off to climb. We thought we were going to be left behind so stuck our heads outside the door. It was a beautiful moonlit night, and the woodshed is in the middle of a boulder field where you counldn't hide a cat. There was nothing there. This happenned several times that night. The woodshed (I later found out) was where the Italians who died on the 1st ascent of the N Face of the Badile had stayed in the days before their ascent. 2) Walked up to and bivvied at the Col du Petit Mont Cenis last year - when I arrived it was a spooky place, definite overpowering feeling of meloncholy and tragedy - I'm fairly used to being alone in the hills and this was something new. It was sufficiently powerful that I moved my planned bivvy spot a few hundred metres away. Again, after the event, reading Terray's autobiography, it transpired that the Col was the scene of the some of the bloodiest and most pointless fighting at the end of the war, between the retreating Germans and French hothead trying to make some kind of point.
epik 17 Jul 2005
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

but your a still total disbeliever?
In reply to epik:
> isn't the 3rd kind aliens? what are the 1st and 2nd kind?

i was wondering about that as soon as i posted lol.

1st = Humans
2nd = Ghosts
3rd = Aliens

just a guess - any thoughts? or should we start a whole new post?
 G. Tiger, Esq. 17 Jul 2005

1st is seeing aliens, ufo#s etc.
2nd is talking to/meeting them
3rd is your full on alien abduction anal probing scenario

(so i'm told)

GTE
 Peter Walker 17 Jul 2005
In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.:Not quite.

1. is a sighting of a UFO.
2. Is a UFO leaving physical evidence.
3. Is "contact"; usually somebody from the American backwoods claiming an abduction
epik 17 Jul 2005
In reply to Peter Walker:

was just about to say that, having looked it up on the spielberg movie site

so has nothing to do with ghosts! no need for a new thread weeman!
 stonewall 17 Jul 2005

Dougal Haston describes in High Places a couple of nights in a hut near Argentiere with Bonington where they were awoken by the sounds of footsteps coming downstairs, rattling the latch of their door, then returning upstairs. Only problem was that they were the only ones using the hut. Both of them were v scared and unable to find a plausible explanation...
 Oli 17 Jul 2005
In reply to epik: A fairly large garden as our house is a bungalow in a smallish village.
 Rob Exile Ward 17 Jul 2005
In reply to epik: Yep, fraid so, not logical I'm afraid Captain.
epik 17 Jul 2005
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
> (In reply to epik) Yep, fraid so, not logical I'm afraid Captain.

i would try to convince you but i've learnt over the years people who don't believe simply dont believe no matter how undeniable the facts are!
 Oli 17 Jul 2005
In reply to epik: Why is the size of my garden important in the process of explaining supernaturals?
epik 17 Jul 2005
In reply to Oli:
> (In reply to epik) Why is the size of my garden important in the process of explaining supernaturals?

it's not just i've never had a garden big enough to put a tent up in so the idea of a garden big enough to fit a chapel seems like a mighty big garden nothing to do with the thread!
 Oli 17 Jul 2005
In reply to epik: oh ok. You could probably fit large numbers of tents in. It kind of goes 3/4 around the house, with a gravel drive down the other side.
 Ands 17 Jul 2005

I tried Harry Potter but found it far too scary and it caused me to wet the bed.

May I point out that Parker is about as Irish as Smith

Parker (PAR-ker) (Old English) "Park keeper." Occupational name used as surname, popular in the 19th century as a given name.

Cheers,

Ands Mac Ghille Aindrais
In reply to Ands: Cheers for that. I'll get off now and look for a park. Name on my Grandmother's side is O Hynes, which is common in Galway. It comes from Aidne, as in the U-Fiacra Aidne, who were the tribe of Anu, one of a wave of migrations into the west of Ireland, possibly from Spain, like many other migrations into Ireland. One of my ancestors was King Guaire the Hospitable, King of Connaught. Unfortunately, that doesn't make me too special as half of New York is probably descended from him.
 Ands 17 Jul 2005

> Unfortunately, that doesn't make me too special as half of New York is probably descended from him.

If any of your folk ever made it up as far North as Ulster then we might well be related what with the Scots of Dalriada emigrating from that area and giving the country its name.

Ands

toad 17 Jul 2005
In reply to Steve Parker: A thought re the previous thread about bleaklow aviator ghosts etc. Where are tehe ghosts of dead motorists on the snake pass or the cat and fiddle? Seems to me a lot of manifestations only occur in "spooky" places, rather that where people actually die,usually in horrible but mundane situations. The haunted nursing home? I'd have thought the A66 would be snided with the restless dead, but all I ever see on lonely roads at night are dead rabbits. Without wanting to sound too harsh, A lot of these incidents sound like people working themselves into a bit of a tiz over nothing.

My wife says I have a pin striped mind - I don't think it's meant as a complement
In reply to toad:
all I ever see on lonely roads at night are dead rabbits.
You mean like the 19th century New York gangs? They must be ghosts, surely?
In reply to Steve Parker: Incidentally - just a bit of trivia - a Dead Rabbit, in the gang sense, was so-called because 'rabbit' was a commonly used word for someone vigorous as a fighter. Dead was an intensifier, as in 'dead shot' etc. Apologies if you already knew.
epik 17 Jul 2005
In reply to toad:

Can't immagine there are huge numbers of people that spend night after night bivying near snake pass to hear or see any going on's! maybe someone should do an indepth study

i'm sure alot of incidences are peoples imaginations getting the better of them but some simply can not be that and trying to explain them never works! anyway what is wrong with abot of imagination on occassion?
 Rob Naylor 18 Jul 2005
> (In reply to Yrmenlaf) There weren't any computers out over the Mer de Glace that night though. I fully accept the possibility that there is some rational explanation for what I heard - I just can't think of one!

Some kind of acoustic funnelling effect amplifying/ redirecting the sound of footsteps of several people doing an alpine start on another route some distance away? I've had a couple of occasions when a bowl or coire I was standing in seemed to be acting as some kind of parabolic reflector of sound, with sounds originating several hundred metres away appearing to come from right next to me.

Rob Naylor 18 Jul 2005
In reply to epik:
> (In reply to Rob Exile Ward)
> [...]
>
> i would try to convince you but i've learnt over the years people who don't believe simply dont believe no matter how undeniable the facts are!

The facts and the explanation are two different things. I don't deny that people see things/ hear things/ experience things. However, the human mind is great at "interpreting" odd occurrences in particluar ways.

eg, I have tinnitus, and sometimes it sounds as if there's a jet engine warming up a mile or so away. Sometimes it's like faint bells. But I'm quite happy that whaterver the sound, it's a construct my brain's making to "explain" some unusual "signals" coming from the site of some damage to my left inner ear.

People with Charles Bonnet syndrome see all sorts of things that aren't there at all, and rather than postulate the spirits of dead people as the explanation of something odd seen, it would seem that a simpler explanation is that the brain "reaction" that causes people with CBS to construct complex visual hallucinations is part of a continuum of brain activity which can include occasional visual "misinterpretations" of stimuli in people who don't have CBS.

The chandelier in our sitting room had goose-neck arms, one of which used to move around from the vertical to the horizontal over a period of a day or so. Really spooky. However, when my daughter (bedroom above) was away for a few days, the chandelier didn't displace. Two explanations immediately came to mind: (1) although nothing obvious could be heard/ felt, my daughter moving around in her room caused sufficient vibrations to set the gooseneck lampholder moving. (2) the ghost or poltergeist that moved the lampholder became inactive when my daughter wasn't there. My reaction was that (1) was a simpler (occam's razor) explanation of the phenomenon than (2) so until further evidence presented itself, I considered the "mystery" solved. Other pheomena may not be as clear-cut as that, but somewhere along the line, it's likely that a rational explanation probably exists. After all, I've heard several people say that Derren Brown must *really* be able to read minds, as, otherwise, what he does is *completely unexplainable*. People are unwilling to accept that there may be explanations they just haven't thought of.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Rational explanations for phemomena may not be obvious, but that doesn't mean they're "unexplainable"...it merely means that you (or I) don't have enough information to make a rational explanation (yet?). To jump from that to "therefore it's the spirit of a dead person" is, IMO, a ludicrous leap of faith to make.

epik 18 Jul 2005
In reply to Rob Naylor:

OK, from experience then furniture etc moving could be explained by traffic vibrations.

the loft hatch used to move in the night from its place in my parents ceiling to 20ft down the loft without waking them or me who was under where it always landed but this could be wind and i and my parents could fall into a comma every night so never heard it.

doors opening has been explained by draft.

toilet flushing people said was bad plumbing.

the many visual sightings was put down to imagination as was the VERY clear footsteps (people suggested wood contracting).

All of the above are unlikely explanations however even with all that people still do not see a connection. so the final thing which could not be explained was the taps which used to turn themselves on in the night. and i dont mean a drip i mean as fully turned around on as is possible. my dad even went as far as tightening them with an adjustable spanner so they were so off you could no longer turn them on by hand. middle of the night again they were as fully turned on as possible! tested this a number of times and every time they came on in the night. no-one has ever suggested an even half plausable suggestion as to how it happened other than we were lying which i obviously know isnt the case! answers on a postcard!
 Martin W 18 Jul 2005
In reply to epik:

> dark hospital wards, being alone at night and voices now your talking scary (hospitals always give me shivers for some bizarre reason)!

The nurses at Addenbrookes used to tell a story about a colleague who was dispensing some drugs when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She looked round to see who was there, and nobody was. When she turned back to her work she realised that she'd just put out what would have been a fatal dose of the wrong drug. When she told people about it afterwards, someone mentioned that a nurse had made a similar mistake a few years before, and had committed suicide after the patient died...
OP Steve Parker 18 Jul 2005
In reply to Martin W:
That is the worst kind of hearsay and adds nothing to the debate. It is clearly 3rd or 4th or 5th hand and almost definitely embellished over time from a tiny, tiny occurrence such as a nurse late at night thinking maybe she felt something into a spooky certainty.
Unfortunately as well, people really are prepared to lie about these things in order to tell a better story. Not suggesting you're lying by the way, Martin!
However, even when the lies and inaccuracies are discounted, there seems to remain a small core of information which is inexplicable by present understanding. Whether it has anything to do with dead people or not is clearly contentious.
I lived in a 'haunted' house in N. Wales. There were many dramatic occurrences such as a cupboard that moved itself across the room on several occasions, and the frequent sighting of what appeared to be an old, grey man in one particular bedroom. All these occurrences began when my sister was born and stopped after a couple of years. Many (twenty or so) years later an old woman visited who used to frequent the house as a little girl. She asked 'Does the Grey Man still appear in that bedroom upstairs?' Apparently she used to play sometimes in that room with the other kids from the house. Sometimes a 'grey man' would appear and scare them away.
When a fitted cupboard was removed, a broken wine glass wrapped in cloth was discovered. There is an old tradition that walling up a broken glass wrapped in cloth will put spirits to rest.
A local historian discovered documentary evidence that an exorcism had been performed at the house in the late 19th century.
Tell me about all that then.
Anonymous 18 Jul 2005
on the Wetterhorn a couple of years ago a lady of 60+ told us how she'd found a cranium on a climb in the dolomites
sloper 18 Jul 2005
In reply to Steve Parker: who did you call?
Charlton C 18 Jul 2005
In reply to Steve Parker: Steve- all bullshit and rationalistic scepticism aside, I have experienced several ghostly presences in the mountains. Usually when I am knackered, and always taking the form of a felt presence rather than seeing or hearing anything unusual. The experiences range from being 'followed' down from a climb in the dark in Wales, to disturbed sleep feeling as though someone is watching me. I don't have a problem with anyone who denies the existence of an experience that they have never had, although I could deny the existence of lots of things I have never experienced directly. The problem is that 'ghosts' are not experienced through everyday states of awareness, and some people either never experience them or admit it to themselves. It is easier and cosier to rationalise. Fire away with the hilarious responses...
 Rob Naylor 18 Jul 2005
In reply to Charlton C:

But given that the human mind is known to be wonderful at "fooling" itself about what it's experiencing, what makes you think that these "presences" were actually externally generated, as opposed to being something your mind was inventing due to the situation you were in?

I've been so tired a couple of times that I've had something akin to an "out of body" experience. I no more believe that these were "real" than that the "bells" my tinnitus is telling me are ringing down the street are real.

Aron Ralson had some veery vivid hallucinations when he was trapped in the canyon, prior to cutting his hand off.

Some people hear voices telling them to do things, etc, but this is accepted as a mental aberration, rather than anything real. Why is it not likely that your "feelings" were just an internal construct somewhere along the continuum of human mental capability?
 curlymynci 18 Jul 2005
In reply to Rob Naylor:
> Some people hear voices telling them to do things, etc, but this is accepted as a mental aberration, rather than anything real. Why is it not likely that your "feelings" were just an internal construct somewhere along the continuum of human mental capability?

Belief in the paranormal/supernatural is a schizotypal trait. Doesn't have to be voices. Here in the world of psychology we believe in everyone having an opportunity to be sectioned.
 Martin W 18 Jul 2005
This from someone who refers to herself in the third person in her profile!
Straight Up Vertical climber 18 Jul 2005

The rational explanation to all this lot is:

It was Old Man Hargreaves, the sawmill owner and he would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for those pesky kids.
 kathrync 18 Jul 2005

In general I am a fairly sceptical person, and would usually be right up there saying it's all bullsh!t, it can all be explained, which has always been my reaction to feelings I've had of being watched and stuff. But I saw something a couple of years ago that I've never been able to rationalise which has made me think again.

I was working on playschemes, and we had a little old lady who came along to help out. I went to pick her up one morning and was a bit early, so I was in her kitchen having a cup of tea while she was getting ready. The weather hot, and really still, no breeze at all. But the swing in her garden was swinging. Not just a little bit, way more than could be explained by wind even if it had been windy. And it wasn't moving randomly, it was swinging rhythmically like it would if someone was on it. I had a clear view of it, it was in the middle of an empty lawn and there was definitely no-one there! I watched it for several minutes too, it wasn't something I saw out of the corner of my eye or anything.

I asked Betty (the old woman) and she said "oh, that's my daughter" who she told me had died about forty years previous to this of leukaemia, aged four, adding "she doesn't normally show herself to strangers". Now I'm not saying I believe outright what Betty said, but I would love it if someone could come up with a rational explanation for that one (no, I wasn't under the influence of anything!) because I have never been able to come up with anything that makes sense!

K
xox
Straight Up Vertical climber 18 Jul 2005
In reply to kathrync:

It was the ants from the Post Office advert, having a play before school
OP Steve Parker 18 Jul 2005
In reply to Straight Up Vertical climber:
> (In reply to Steve Parker)
>
>
> The rational explanation to all this lot is:

> It was Old Man Hargreaves, the sawmill owner and he would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for those pesky kids.
It might have been, although, as this was in Wales, it would have been Old Man Griffiths.
As regards rational explanations, I might have been hallucinating: however it is unlikely that eight people all hallucinated at the same time for two years and then all stopped at the same time. In fact, that is more improbable than an explanation involving ghosts. To then include outsiders such as the 19th century exorcist and the old woman with prior experience takes it out into such wild improbability that it becomes ridiculous. Unless we are all lying, of course. The explanations in this case become ridiculous. There were 'ghosts' in that house. I make no claims to knowing what a ghost is.

Charlton C 19 Jul 2005
In reply to Rob Naylor: Well thanks for that. You know it never occurred to be that my mind might be playing tricks.Then again it could be scizotypal tendencies kicking in. The trouble with subjective experiences is that they are just that. But when both myself and my climbing partner have the same weird experience does that make it a joint simultaneous delusion of the paranormal?
I like to keep an open mind on these matters,and steer a middle path somewhere between dancing with the fairies and reducing the universe to lumps of grey matter.
JRobertson 19 Jul 2005
In reply to Charlton C:

Couple of years ago got caught out in a full gale mid channel at night on a small yacht, other crew were rapidly incapacitated and stayed in their bunks. I helmed for 8 hours solid and was very concious out the corner of my eye of someone standing in the cockpit just behind me. Felt they were looking after me. Imagination etc ... etc.. possibly ..
 Obi Wan 19 Jul 2005
In reply to Rob Naylor:

If you place all your faith in biology and science, then is it not true that we only utilise 10% of our brains capacity?
Could it not then be true that if the other 90% could somehow be accessed (whether consciously or otherwise)that it could allow us to do and see things we would normally deem impossible?

Maybe it allows us to view and briefly comprehend the 5th dimension, or maybe it can create a temporary bridge between here and the afterlife. My point is that the brain is a long way from being mapped fully and understood, and there is a huge percentage that is not even used on a daily basis - so to base your scepticism on pure rational science could be misplaced as eventually it may be science that proves otherwise.
catbaiter 19 Jul 2005
In reply to JRobertson:
> (In reply to Charlton C)
>
> Couple of years ago got caught out in a full gale mid channel at night on a small yacht, other crew were rapidly incapacitated and stayed in their bunks. I helmed for 8 hours solid and was very concious out the corner of my eye of someone standing in the cockpit just behind me. Felt they were looking after me. Imagination etc ... etc.. possibly ..

I woke, bold upright and wide awake in the middle of the night to find someone in the corner of my room staring at me once. Well, I say staring because it was more of a black human shaped shadow, but solid. It freaked me right out. So being a chicken I closed my eyes and went back to sleep.

I do not believe in ghosts, so I guess it was my mind being a bastard. But by Jesus did it give me the screaming heebie-jeebies.

Anonymous 19 Jul 2005
In reply to Obi Wan:

> ... is it not true that we only utilise 10% of our brains capacity?

No, it is not.

Mark
Anonymous 19 Jul 2005
In reply to kathrync:

> The weather hot, and really still, no breeze at all. But the swing in her garden was swinging. Not just a little bit, way more than could be explained by wind even if it had been windy. And it wasn't moving randomly, it was swinging rhythmically...

Would it not be more indicative of a supernatural prescence if it had been moving randomly? After all large pendulums (such as swings) are very good at moving rythmically without outside assistance.

Mark

Mark
 Obi Wan 19 Jul 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

Aaaalrighty then, just getting my coat.

(always believed that one, just googled it and found it was an urban myth passed through the mythos, gutted! - still at least Santa is still real...)
Dr. Peter Venkman 19 Jul 2005
> I lived in a 'haunted' house in N. Wales. There were many dramatic occurrences such as a cupboard that moved itself across the room on several occasions

What is it with ghosts and their penchant for rearranging the furniture?
 Mooncat 19 Jul 2005

To all you sceptics out there, if there's no such thing as ghosts, then how do you explain that programme on living tv where that bird who used to be on blue peter screams all the time?
 kathrync 19 Jul 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

I suppose so, but it was swinging to at least 45 degrees off vertical in each direction for several minutes with no sign of it slowing or stopping, and there was nothing I could see to start or perpetuate the movement...

K
Charlton C 19 Jul 2005
In reply to Steve Parker: Okay so we've established that plenty of us have occasional strange paranormal experiences that defy rationality. I've also had the waking up to see or hear people/things that ought not to be there in the bedroom. (When associated with a feeling of lucid paralysis they are termed hypnogogic states.)

On the other hand we are hallucinating madly, deluded by fatigue and mental trickery. Bit of a dichotomy really. Anyway cheers for sharing the experiences.
 Obi Wan 19 Jul 2005
In reply to Oli:

That is really bizzare. When I lived at my parents I used to see a man in a white suit also (occassionaly wearing a top hat style thing - very Wonka-esque). It began as just a fleeting peripheral image which was easily dismissed, and then became more prominent and frequent. There were a couple of occasions were I awoke to see him at the foot of my bed (once in a white gown instead of his suit)but I also caught sight many times throuighout the day. My sister has also seen him, and my g/f who knew nothing of him at the time saw him also (we were relatively new together and I had not mentioned him.She couldn't sleep and was feeling irrational fear of someone being there and then told me in the morning that she had seen him at the foot of the bed). My (then 5 year old) daughter has also seen him. I was putting her to bed when I saw him stood in the doorway in the corner of my eye (by now I was used to him and so ignored it, also so as not to frighten my daughter I just ignored him). It was then that my daughter looked over my shoulder toward the direction of the door and asked "who is that daddy?". I slowly turned but as just as sooon as I had a full on view he dissapeared. I asked what she had seen, and she discribed the man in the white suit. In order to allow her to sleep without nightmares I told her it was my dad just walking past to go to the loo, however he was out with the dog and never wears a white suit with top hat (funnily enough).
Parents never believed me and never saw him. We still see him when we visit, sometimes he wears a blue suit (no idea of the significance but there you go)

tom r 19 Jul 2005
Haven't really got a spooky story but one thing I do find weird is that I remember some memories in the third person i.e. I'm looking at the scene rather than actually in me.

The most notable one was when I was about 4 and split my head open on a corner of skirting board. I can distinctly remember being wrapped up in a duvet in my mums arms waiting for the local farmer to come and take me to hospital (we only had one car and my dad was away). The thing is I remember the scene rather than actually being in me sort of looking down on it. Not saying it was a out of body experience but it makes you wonder.
Coincidently my mum had some obes when she was small when she was under aneshetics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...