UKC

Favourite route setter?`

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan_S 20 Apr 2002
I've noticed that I have a strange affinity for work by Mr J W Puttrell, having done a few of his routes, and ejoyed every one.

Does anyone else have a favourite route setter, whos' work you hunt out in the guidebook just so you can get ticks for them all?

(Or am I just sad?!)
Bob Dulieu 20 Apr 2002
In reply to Dan_S:
Those fellows that quarried millstone edge, also a big thanks to the British army for liberally creating pock marks in the burbage valley.

PS, if you are into Puttrell, try Puttrells progress at Wharncliffe for the definative Puttrell route. While you are there try and find the Bass rock and do the "Monkey jump" E20 10c according to the guide, I've tried it and that grade is a bit of a sandbag so be careful!
Fiend 21 Apr 2002
In reply to Dan_S: Gotta be Joe Brown, a true hero. Many of his routes are around my standard (which means I can actually get a feel for how well he was doing 50 years ago) and invariabley they are bloody substantial and satisfying routes!!
 Marc C 21 Apr 2002
In reply to Dan_S: Favourite Red (rouge) Setter ? That's a tricky one - though Leporello (my pet dog - who rescued me on White Slab by throwing a rope down on the lasso pitch)certainly is a contender. Favourite Beagle - Gorple obviously.

Favourite route setter: Joe Brown/Don Whillans, Colin Kirkus, Archer Thomson, Abraham Bros., John Allen, and (dream on!) Johnny Dawes/John Dunne/Jonny Woodward.
Jamie 21 Apr 2002
In reply to Dan_S:

Yep:

Dave Cuthbertson.
Murray Hamilton
Dougal Haston - Mostly for the names of the routes
Mal Duff routes are usually pretty class too...

jamie
 Ropeboy 22 Apr 2002
In reply to Dan_S:

Nice thread; apart from the obvious ones mentioned above, I quite like doing Keith Myhill routes, I keep on coming across them. He didn't do the quantities that some did but he did a couple of little gems.

Also, our very own Al Evans has done a fair bit, haven't you Al?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...