UKC

New Article: One of our ghosts is missing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 21 Oct 2005
Liz Asquith, Wingnut, casts her gaze on the UKC.com forums. At any one time thousands of climbers are at their keyboards with their browsers pointed to UKClimbing.com. But sometimes one of them goes missing. Where'd they go?

Then in a short poem she takes aim at the forum moderators.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/
DaveC at Work 21 Oct 2005
In reply to UKC News: Nice one Liz. Has anyone really accused the mods of sleeping with sheep? (Nice pic Alan!)
 MeMeMe 21 Oct 2005
In reply to UKC News:

Nice article Wingnut.

Maybe you could put up a post in the Lost&Found section for specific missing climbers?
Somebody might know where they have got to.
In reply to UKC News: Nice article!
 Ridge 21 Oct 2005
In reply to UKC News:

A really good, well though-out and written article. Well done!
In reply to UKC News:

Very nice wingnut. Well done.
Alex Purser 21 Oct 2005
Nice.

I was thinking about this the other day in fact.
Where's Colski, for example?
 Wingnut 21 Oct 2005
In reply to UKC News:
<*bows*>
I like Alan's zap gun! :
 Ridge 21 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut:

Is that a euphemism?
 sutty 21 Oct 2005
In reply to Alex Purser:

I think Colski is posting as a god, but not sure if it is him.

I think that zap gun will do some damage if it is fired at electrical equipment
 Wingnut 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Ridge:
Er . . . no, 'tis the zap gun in the picture!
 TN 24 Oct 2005
In reply to UKC News:

Nice work Wingnut!
 Graham T 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut:
Need to test something
 TobyA 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut:

Being the type of climber who likes cracks, has a rack the size of a small outdoor shop's stock of climbing gear, always wears a helmet, and thinks that leading Sunset Slab is unjustifiably dangerous - I hope that I won't ever become a ghost in that way, but I have given the missus specific instructions if I do get hit by bus/etc. she should post the news of my demise here. Being in a transient atheistic period, the only thing I worry is that I'll not get to read what people write about me... Will I get four replies and drop of the the bottom of the page before lunchtime? Or will I go on for hundreds and hundreds of replies - dragging onwards over the weeks?

Does anyone else think of these things? Or am I just strange?
 Graham T 24 Oct 2005
In reply to TobyA:
Or am I just strange?

Do you really need to ask?
 tony 24 Oct 2005
In reply to TobyA:

It's just you. You're strange.
 Graham T 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut:
They must be getting a cup of tea, i have posted a thread about them sleeping with sheep and its still there
 Dominion 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Graham T:

But this: This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

has happened to it...
 Graham T 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Dominion:
Class i thought they were asleep.

Ah well no smoke without fire
Craig_M 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Dominion:

Only because he posted it in the wrong forum. So not a rebuttal of the accusation then........
 Simon Caldwell 24 Oct 2005
In reply to TobyA:
> will I go on for hundreds and hundreds of replies

only if you're killed in a freak top-roping accident
 Dominion 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Craig_M:

I only saw it in TCR. Presumably Graham put it elsewhere?
 Graham T 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Dominion:
Nope that is exactly where i put it, i believe they didn't want any further discussion of their sheep worrying antics
; P
 TobyA 24 Oct 2005
In reply to tony: What would be good would be to dissappear somewhere - perhaps kidnapped by Taliban rebels whilst pioneering new routes in the Hindu Kush of Afghanistan, held for months so everyone presumes you're a gonna, then stage a dare-devil escape from the Taliban camp, I imagine this would involve soloing E2 cracks whilst firing at persuers with a stolen AK47 (and this just happens to be filmed by a passing beautiful Venezuelan investigative reporter who, of course, instantly falls in love with you for your dare-devilism), reach civilisation, get instant worldwide media stardom due to the return-from-death story backed up by aforementioned dare-devil action film, sell story rights to Hollywood for vast amounts of money... THEN get to sit down and read your own obiturary thread on UKC and do a point by point refutation of anyone who had been even a little bit mean about you.

Hmmmm.... happy happy thoughts....
Craig_M 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Dominion:

It was originally in DTP, despite Graham's protestations to the contrary.
 Graham T 24 Oct 2005
In reply to TobyA:
Holy crap, did it take you long to think that up?
 Graham T 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Craig_M:
Arse, no fair
 Dominion 24 Oct 2005
In reply to TobyA:

> sell story rights to Hollywood for vast amounts of money... THEN get to sit down and read your own obiturary thread on UKC and do a point by point refutation of anyone who had been even a little bit mean about you.

Na, totally unrealisitic...

Most RT'ers would log on to RT first, deal with the obituary thread first, then ask how to copyright the story so no one at Hollywood could nick it, and ask which actor should play the lead role...
 tony 24 Oct 2005
In reply to TobyA:

You're wasted as a researcher - your imagination is far too vivid, and your grasp on reality far too limited. You need to do something uttery vacuous to get the kind of headlines you're lusting after. Real hard-core stuff gets relegated to the bottom of page 17.
 sutty 24 Oct 2005
In reply to TobyA:

Did you read my obituary on here Toby? Distressing to some but ultimately amusing, as you do not often get to find out what people think of you when you have gone.

That curmudgeonly old sod was about the worst I think.
 TobyA 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Graham T:

> Holy crap, did it take you long to think that up?

The slightly worrying answer is that it took absolutely no time at all.

Fume Troll 24 Oct 2005
In reply to UKC News: I bet if anyone else had posted this in Rocktalk you'd have moved and closed it!

Cheers,

FT.
 Michael Ryan 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Fume Troll:
> (In reply to UKC News) I bet if anyone else had posted this in Rocktalk you'd have moved and closed it!
>
> Cheers,
>
> FT.

Posted what? The article or this thread?
 Fume Troll 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Mick Ryan: The thread.

Cheers,

FT.
 Michael Ryan 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Fume Troll:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan) The thread.
>
> Cheers,
>
> FT.

What's wrong with the thread?

Fume Troll 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Mick Ryan: There's nothing wrong with it, and I liked the article too. But the guidance for RT says "A general forum for topics relating to climbing" and I noticed the moderators have been pretty keen on getting stuff in the right places recently.
Therefore I was saying I would have thought a thread this introspective would have been put somewhere else. It was meant light-heartedly!

Cheers,

FT.
 Duncan Bourne 25 Oct 2005
In reply to UKC News:
Cracking article!
Just found time to read it now that my new PC is up and running (not figuratively you understand, I don't have to chase it round the room)
Hannah m 25 Oct 2005
In reply to UKC News:

Just read this article and it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up - came over all emotional!

(It still got to me, even though I have been out of climbing for ages and frustrated in current attemps by injuries etc.)
H

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...