UKC

Erosion at Stanage Plantation Boulders - Again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Muz 28 Oct 2005
The Pile of stone at Stanage Plantation car park isn't eroding as quickly as I'd like. In spite of leaving a number of bags already filled, no one seems to have taken any up to the areas we're trying to repair. Consequently Trudi and I hope to be at their this Sunday afternoon to drum up more volunteers to take rock up.

We've already started work at the green boulder and I think it looks promising. It's compacted down quite well and some of the grass that got moved with the stone seems to be still alive- a good sign methinks. Having had a look yesterday I think we need to just blend the edges in a bit better (purely for aesthetic reasons).

When we have enough rock up there we'll start on the area under deliverance as there is already some rock piled underneath it that looks unsightly. I think it is only fair to point out that I intend to move two small stones from the top corner of the rock to allow water to flow underneath the overhang of the boulder.

Please if you're up at Stanage take a couple of bags up with you.

Julian
BMC Access Volunteer/Mug.
 Wingnut 28 Oct 2005
In reply to Muz:
Any chance of any more doughnuts? :

(Maybe you could institute some sort of loyalty card . . . get points per bag and when you get enough points you get a free midge, a bag of nettles or money off an official flea from the North Lees Panther?)
 Jon Greengrass 28 Oct 2005
In reply to Muz: suggest TN uses her bike
Muz 28 Oct 2005
In reply to Jon Greengrass: I don't really want to turn this into a 4*4/off road debate, but it was suggested by a number of people on previous rock shifting days that the 4*4ers could help moving the rock.

Apparently in other areas compromise has been reached between different areas of interest whereby the people with such vehicles transport path building materials to those areas that need it.

and in reply to Wingnut, I'm sure we can spare a doughnut or two.
In reply to Muz: That was my point.
 Adders 28 Oct 2005
In reply to Muz: probably because its been raining constantly for days.
if theres a sign asking people to help im sure people will help....
 TN 28 Oct 2005
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

If you're going to be at the popular end, once you've got the top ropes set up, you could come and lug a few bags yourself - have a doughnut and see what we're doing?!
Muz 28 Oct 2005
In reply to Jon Greengrass: Taking the rock via Redmires in 4*4s wouldn't really prove much benefit and I don't think one could get a trail bike through the gates and then over to the boulders.

Mountain bikers always seem to go down hill, so getting them to take stuff up also seems out of the question. We'll just have to rely on big strong boulders fed with doughnuts.

In reply to Muz: better put on your wizard hat and robes if you want boulders to come to life and carry some gravel.
Muz 28 Oct 2005
In reply to Adders: I know that not everyone looks on here, but I regard this as the sign. If we have to start putting signs up everywhere in the Peak it'll start to look like the centre of town.

(the pile of stone is bad enough, that's why I'm keen to get it moved)

I must admit the wet weather hasn't helped - the bags I took up yesterday must've been 50% water.
In reply to Muz:

I've only been once in the last month and ended up carrying 2 bags. Maybe put up a sign, most people probably have no idea what it's for, but would be willing to help.

S
Muz 28 Oct 2005
In reply to Jon Greengrass: okay, so I can't tipe
 Simon 28 Oct 2005
In reply to Muz:

We went on Sunday - but unfortunately walked up the Causeway to the Plantation.

Have to say its looking good at the green traverse & the filling in has not affected the problems in anyway.
I think the rains been quite usefull for the bedding in process too.

Sorry we can't make it this weekend - I'm down in the flatlands - but maybe the weekend after IF my back gets better!!!

keep up the good work sir...

Cheers

Si
Muz 28 Oct 2005
In reply to Simon: yeah the rain did help, that's why we went up last Friday to do it and got p|ssed wet through.

I strongly suspect you've taken up the wrong hobby - you're always injured.
 Simon 28 Oct 2005
In reply to Muz:

just remind me how i injured my back in the 1st place!!
;0)

Si
 Wingnut 28 Oct 2005
In reply to Muz:
Another suggestion - get TN to take her top off and stand at the car park entrance. When people stop to gawp she threatens to put it back on unless they go and help with the gravel.

(I'm gonna get slapped for that, aren't I? :
Muz 28 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut: My first smile of the day. Thanks for that.
 TN 28 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut:

LOL - I don't really know what to say. Other than, I think threatening to NOT put it back on might be more effective!
 Wingnut 28 Oct 2005
In reply to Muz:
Can you remind us all which boulders it needs to go to?
 TN 28 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut:

The Green boulder is just about done now, so the remaining stuff need to go to the Pebble and Business boulders only. Piles of grit are already established near both, so just add to those.

Thanks.
 TN 29 Oct 2005
In reply to Muz:

Just for anyone in the Peak area who's willing to make drunken promises - fancy coming to Stanage Plantation to shift gravel with us? Plantation car park from noon.... Be there or, erm, miss the doughnuts....
It won't be a big session - I feel very poorly.
 Michael Ryan 30 Oct 2005
In reply to TN:

Spellings pretty good for a late night sesh!
 TN 30 Oct 2005
In reply to Mick Ryan:

Oh, I wasn't drunk - I've got a nasty cold and feel ill because of that. And I'm STILL going to lug gravel (and vast quantities of water, it would seem!)
Muz 30 Oct 2005
In reply to Muz:

Well, not many volunteers today. Only two and they were climbers not boulderers. And one was 93. And the other travelled from Solihull!

Still, we have completed the work under Green Boulder. We'll see how it settles in and get it seeded at the appropriate time.

We've also made a good start on the Pebble. Still loads more stone to take up there and distribute around the Pebble and Business blocks. So if any one happens to be passing, otherwise more of the same next weekend.

Julian

ps Sorry to Henry - he isn't really 93.
pps Horscroft - Where were you?
ppps Chris - Where were you?
pppps Wingnut and Henry ate all the cakes, but they deserved them.
 Michael Ryan 30 Oct 2005
In reply to Muz:
> (In reply to Muz)
>
> they were climbers not boulderers.

Is there a difference?
 TN 30 Oct 2005
In reply to Mick Ryan:

No, not really, we just thought it amusing that the two who turned up were 'route' climbers as opposed to boulderers. Maybe boulderers are 'fair weather climbers'?? (Only kidding, since I do much more bouldering than I do routes anyway!)

PS - Julian says 'routers' have more stamina than boulderers... He's living dangerously!
OP Anonymous 30 Oct 2005
In reply to TN: Have been away this weekend, I presume it was a trifle damp or is the Plantataion now a quiet backwater for boulderers?
 Chris the Tall 30 Oct 2005
In reply to Muz:
> ppps Chris - Where were you?

At home, watching the rain lash down, thinking "they won't have gone out in this weather".

Then I went out mountain biking to play in the puddles !
Muz 30 Oct 2005
In reply to Chris the Tall:
Never overestimate the stupidity of BMC volunteers...

It did turn out nice once we were wet through.
Muz 30 Oct 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

Backwater. Front, side and top-water too. It was very wet.
 TN 30 Oct 2005
In reply to Muz:

Uh, that was me, by the way.
 Wingnut 31 Oct 2005
In reply to TN:
Ta for the cakes . . . had a very nice walk afterwards to burn them off. Very striking colours in the post-rainstorm clouds at sunset!
 Simon 31 Oct 2005
In reply to TN:

Well done chaps...

Sorry we couldn't make it - am still down the flatlands & boy are they flat!!

i may get get next weekend to help out a bit...don't know if the partner in crime will tho...

Whats going to be done about any voluntary ban on the deliverence face do you think..???

Si
 TN 31 Oct 2005
In reply to Simon:

I don't think that's going to be necessary at the moment - we got a fair bit done on Sunday and, even if I say so myself, it's looking pretty good...
Muz 31 Oct 2005
In reply to TN:
plus if people use the area they'll help to flatten and compress the stone down. Worked quite well on Green Boulder.

My main worry is that it'd look like a building site, but incorporating leaves and other detritus from around the area helps to blend it in.
 john horscroft 31 Oct 2005
In reply to Muz:

Oh, I don't know where I was! I usually have difficulty remembering who I am..........

Sorry..........

JH
Muz 31 Oct 2005
In reply to john horscroft: There is another opportunity this weekend...
 Simon 31 Oct 2005
In reply to Muz:

i volunteered & was told it was not necessary by TN!!

...do i smell or something ??? :0)

..or are you just setting Horscroft up?? ooops - sorry blown it!!

;0)

Seriously tho - hes the only one not to lug any up though eh? What punishment is needed for JH you think???

;0)

Si
 TN 31 Oct 2005
In reply to Simon:

You misunderstood - I was referring to the voluntary ban on climbing there not being necessary. We still have lots of luggage to do. I am sure my 'ape-index' must be about +27 now...

As for you smelling - well, now you mention it...

Simon 31 Oct 2005
In reply to TN:
> (In reply to Simon)

>
> As for you smelling - well, now you mention it...

... well - that off the bath for me - once the waters hot...!

Actually i did get a bit of a sweat on today on my walk - nice river down here - just no grit!!

;0)

...ok - maybe Sunday - can i take a 1/4 sack though please?? Bad back - knees - hamstring etc etc!!!

;0)

si
 john horscroft 01 Nov 2005
In reply to Muz:

Sorry Muz, I'll be in Spain!

JH
 john horscroft 01 Nov 2005
In reply to Simon:

Do your worst Jacques.............
bowman 07 Nov 2005
In reply to Muz:
>
>Hi Julian, I am just retired so hopefully lots more
climbing. Being free during the week, is there more stone
to take up to the plantation and is it obvious were it has
to go? Cheers Lewis from Penistone p.s I have made
numerous offers to the BMC for volanteer work during the
week without success.I suppose most people are only free
at the weekend. Anybody out there wishing to climb
weekdays give me a shout.

>
> Julian
> BMC Access Volunteer/Mug.

TN 07 Nov 2005
In reply to bowman:

Hi Lewis,

Thanks for your offer - all and any help is required, but you're right that mostly we do our work at the weekend.

If you know the Plantation area, we're putting the gravel near the Pebble boulder - you should see where the remains of the latest pile are. We've bagged up a fair amount ready to go - you can't miss the bright blue bags in the car park.

If you want any more info or want to discuss what's going on at the moment, please email me via my profile and we'll let you know.

Thanks for offering to help!

TRUDI
 TN 08 Nov 2005
In reply to TN:

We're having a weekend off this weekend, but if anyone heads up there in the meantime, please feel free to take more bags up - just leave them in the vicinity of the pebble and we'll empty 'em out when we're up there next.
We're *hoping* we won't need to do any shoring up below the pebble - we're trying to make things as natural as possible. Just a case of trial and error though, I think. We altered the drainage slightly on Sunday as it was still pouring straight down under deliverance - dunno whether our little diversion has made the blindest bit of difference though...

Business boulder's going to be a big task - we'll DEFINITELY need to arrange a working party for that one - more news about that soon...

Glad people are pleased with how it's looking though. It all seems to be settling in pretty well - so far.
We tried to blend the filling by the green boulder a bit on Sunday, so that should be about done now.

If anyone has any more thoughts and comments, please get in touch with me via that 'TN' at the top of this message.

Every time we go up there it pisses down and we end up lugging more rainwater than gravel... :-| So if anyone knows any non-rain dances, please feel free to experiment with them...

Bye for now!

T
Muz 14 Nov 2005
In reply to TN:

Just an update following a visit yesterday.

Reckon Green Boulder is looking good and settling in well (in my opinion)

The pebble is progressing well (thanks to Lewis for his work in the week) and is probably about 33% complete.

The Business Boulder is going to be tough though and will need lots of volunteers to carry the rest of the rock up.

Just wondered what all the people that were up there this weekend thought of the work so far.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...