UKC

Kendal Film Festival Results

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Phillips 20 Nov 2005
Results of the 2005 film competition are at:

http://www.mountainfilm.co.uk/film-festival/results2005.html

Grand Prize - presented by Berghaus:
Taiwan Typhoon Island

Film Short - sponsored by KMFF :
Winner: Weekend Warrior
Special mention: Practical Norwegian

Mountain Culture - sponsored by K Village:
Winner: Storms - The Movie
Special mention: Siachen

Environment - sponsored by Balblair :
Winner: Being Caribou
Special mention: Garden of the Gods
Special mention: Drilling

Mountain Adventure - sponsored by Event:
Winner: High Fly Summits
Special mention: Grandpa
Special mention: The Shadow of Time

Mountaineering - sponsored by Asolo :
Winner: Ian Wrights Excellent Adventure
Special mention: Our Himalaya
Special mention: Ciao Martina

Climbing - sponsored by Climber:
Winner: Parallelojams (Return2Sender)
Special mention: Supramonte
Special mention: Depthcharge
Special mention: Hotrock

People Choice - sponsored by Bridgedale:
Winner: Storms - The Movie (Repeating their success of last year with Twice Upon a Time in Bolivia)
Second: The Hand of Fatima

Extreme Film School - sponsored by NW Vision:
Winner Thrill Seekers - George and Rowland Arnison

Judges Choice - sponsored by KMFF:
Grandpa

Special Mention:
Kilimanjaro
PAP 21 Nov 2005
This years KMF was really crap! Best year ever it said on the adverts before the event. Only about 20% of the films were actual climbing films! Being Caribou only won because it won in Banff and you didn't want to disagree! It was long, dull and everybody was asleep at the end of it!

Please guys make more of an effort for next year the KMF is and amazing weekend but it's loosing sight of what it why it was originally started!
 Ian Parnell 21 Nov 2005
In reply to PAP: WOW, gobsmacked Kilimanjaro is squeezed in as a special mention. It was by far the best film I saw this weekend. Incredibly moving - I was crying and Im supposed to be a rufty tufty mountaineer. Kind of dissapointed to see films like "High fly summits" getting awards when they are basically fun and exciting yes but really bits of fluff round the edges of mountaineering. Kilimanjaro went deep to the heart of our activity and while it didn't have the jaw dropping visuals of base jumping and wingsuiting like HFS it was for me far far more inspiring. Looking deep at 4 people whose accidents could easy have been disabling but who through the power of the human spirit were able to battle through and turn their lives into a beautiful victory. The film went even further until you forgot about their various disabilities and willed on the climbers through their storm to reach the top as you would any able bodied team. A lovely powerful uplifting film.

On a side note I did feel at times that I was watching a base jumping festival and while the first time you see a helmet cam shot of someone leaping off a cliff is pretty amazing by the 60th fairly indentical sequence the novelty does tend to wear off.
 Ian Parnell 21 Nov 2005
In reply to Ian Parnell: The other thing I'd add is that High Flying Summits is sponsored advert for Salomon - see the film and you'll know what I mean. Winning a prize at Kendal can be very influential for cash strapped independent film makers trying to secure funding or even maybe maybe the elusive TV time. The Kendal judges should be supporting independent film makers not conglomerates like Salomon (Addidas actually!)

While Im on ranting I would like to say thanks to the organisers - as I really enjoyed the weekend, its always a great social and Ive come away re-energised and inspired.
Adrian can't register... 21 Nov 2005
I enjoyed many of the films at Kendal this year, but couldn't help thinking where the 'wow' factor was - maybe I didn't see the right films, but where were the skiing and snowboarding and white water kayaking films? I seemed to be watching a lot of the sort of films that you can watch on cable every night - Taiwan wildlife, and following the Caribou, these were enyoyable films, but not really why I make the journey to Kendal - I can (and frequently do) watch these sort of films on TV. Actually the only film that had the sort of 'wow' factor that I was looking for was shown at Leo Houlding's lecture, and wasn't in the programme at all.

I though that Return to Sender was a worthy winner in the climbing category (in case anyone wants to accuse me of sour grapes!), but, again, it didn't give me the fix of 'wow' that I was looking for. Actually, I thought some of the best films were made in the extreme film school - which brings me to the point of what Kendal is all about - I go to watch genuinely extreme films - the sort of film that I can't see on TV, I can't help but feel that the more Kendal is opened up to a wider 'mountain' audience, the greater the risk of alienating the core of people who attend who aren't so interested in nature and conservation.

A couple of points for next year - anyone who has made a film will know that the hardest, and sometimes most expensive part is getting a good soundtrack, so I think that films which blatantly have 'borrowed' unlicensed music should not be compared with films where it has been obtained in a more legal fashion. You know who you are... if someone were to make a film with an original soundtrack, but copied the visuals off a dozen or so other films, I don't think the festival film selectors would be duped - so how about checking a few licenses first?

See you all next year - hopefully there'll be a few more 'extreme' films that will make me go 'wow'!
 Offwidth 21 Nov 2005
In reply to Ian Parnell:

The hot rock thing was even worse in terms of blurring the boundaries between film and free publicity. I'm sure some good films got turned away from the festival because of these things that are basicly extended adverts.

Still pissed off that MarcC et al got banished to the K Village at lunchtime and were saw by virtually no-one. I was crying with laughter in some of the songs and even some passing pensioners sat through it all and thought it was great so making it hard for climbers was rather sad. Elvis is alive and well and is disguised as Gordon Stainforth!
 Tom Briggs 21 Nov 2005
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Agree - how come Kilimanjaro didn't win anything?!!!

Completely bonkers as it's a brilliant piece of film making that works on so many levels. It's very, very understated and totally unpredictable in lots of ways. And climbers and non-climbers would come away with very different things. An original and inspirational film.

The Ian Wright thing was well-filmed and very funny, but I was slightly depressed that he never once seemed to appreciate where he was.
 Ian Parnell 21 Nov 2005
In reply to Adrian can't register: Adrian Im guessing you're the Adrian I know. If so I want to say how impressed I was by Hotel Supramonte. Not sure if you had anyone else apart obviously from Gaz and Steve filming - but managing to cover something as big as that and especially as it couldn't be re-enacted i.e. it was an onsight one chance attempt - very impressive. I think one thing I really like about Steve's climbing having seen him in a couple of films is that when it gets properly hard he genuinely struggles and slaps like every normal climber so you do get a sense of what he's going through. Anyway really good.
 Mark Collins 21 Nov 2005
I enjoyed this event as always but was left feeling it could be so much better.

On Saturday afternoon having waited over an hour for the late running of a film (Crossing Lines) I was then told it was running a further 10 minutes late and the film was then inadvertantly chopped about half way through, with no explanation apart from "we've been asked to stop there". Most films are shown more than once and this was indeed the case with this one, even so, to keep poeple hanging on and then axeing is rude.

I'm also frustrated over the chance to give feedback on the event. The website has no email address unless you want to subscribe to a newsletter, hence here I am. Also, while attending the Leo Houlding Lecture yesterday was told there was a feedback form on my chair, someone must have stolen it.

First thing Sunday I wanted, along with everyone else to see the Haston film followed by DOn Willans and Chris Bonnington, I managed to see the latter but why were these films shown in what appeared to be the smallest room in the building (Studio sitting maybe 30) especially with so much focus on Willans at the moment. I understand the Haston film was a late arrival and did manage to catch it at the impromptu showing at lunchtime, thanks for making extra showings of the most popular films by the way.

Also, there seems very little focus on the commercial aspects of what could be lucrative for film makers. Why not sell the films you've just seen, at the festival?
 Offwidth 21 Nov 2005
In reply to Mark Collins:

Some of the film organisation was a bit chaotic. The late insertion of a slot for the 'extreme film' shorts judging was a case in point (this must have been anticipated in advance?) but it did allow us to see "Cavewoman" and "Crampons with Tampons": two films which bizzarely clashed on the schedule but with the most clear interest for those interested in women in climbing. They always seem surprised when the cinema was full but then mess around for ages slotting people in in a really officious manner: I think they need to think about this as I'm sure they are grossly overbooking for the films given the small size of the theatres. The breaks are too long (apart from lunch which should be used, as it was, to re-run popular stuff). There were too many films to see in the time availiable, especially once the four big extras were added (The Bat, The Haston thing etc). They should certainly remove all these company advertising films unless they are clearly significant art works in their own right: Adrian Berry's film is an example of how companies should be involved in filmmaking.

On the talks I saw, my favourite was Dave Macleod: fizzing with enthusiasm and ability. Jim Perrin and the Rock and Ice swang from insightful to puerile. Kitty Calhoon was verging on stream of conciousness and well worth seeing. Simone Moro got only a quarter full hall and deserved better. George Band was too dry but Doug Scott made up for it.
 sutty 21 Nov 2005
In reply to Offwidth:

Seems they need to sort the film running out big time. Never made it up as car failed as I set out but seem to remember they had the same problem two years ago. Good job they do not run cinemas for a living.
John Porter 21 Nov 2005
In reply to PAP:

Getting all your messages loud and clear and coming to the same conclusion. Basically, UK climbers do not like the event. Suggest you guys organise one since it would be much better.

Michael Ryan 21 Nov 2005
In reply to John Porter:
> (In reply to PAP)
>
> Basically, UK climbers do not like the event.

I'm confused. How do you come to that conclusion?

Mick
 sutty 21 Nov 2005
In reply to John Porter:

John, seems there were some things you got wrong as you can see from the comments. As I said, the films seem to have been running out of sinc, as they did two years ago and there were lots of people who had to miss films they had booked to see then as some overlapped. did you refund for them?

The general atmosphere is usually good, it is the detail that lets it down. Being told you are not included in the festival and are classed as street performers does not go down well either as I heard tonight. Not where you would have your lectures I think.

Just get the balance of climbing to adventure films right as others have said and things may be better.

BTW, I may as well ask, any comments on the Kili film that people thought should have got an award?
In reply to Mick Ryan:
> (In reply to John Porter)
> [...]
>
> I'm confused. How do you come to that conclusion?
>
> Mick

A huge number (3-4,000?) do.

BTW, where were you, Mick?? Thought you were coming over (I didn't see Alan either).

James Jackson 22 Nov 2005
In reply to John Porter:

No John, that's not what people are saying. I didn't go this year, but sounds similar to same things going on last year. The event as a whole is great, good atmosphere, some amazing films (last year at least), it's the things that people have mentioned that let it down.

Perhaps you could take on (and perhaps comment upon) the constructive criticism offered, rather than getting all up-tight and defensive?
hang 'em high 22 Nov 2005
In reply to John Porter:

Who are you John? Do you represent KMFF? If so please dont take the short comments by a handful of people on a web forum and judge an entire community.

I found the content this year to be not quite the same quality as last year. I also thought there were some very frustrating last minute changes to the programme that meant we missed several films we really wanted to see. I dont understand why this has to happen - surely the organisers can raise the bar a little? But dont worry I'll still be there next year!

Highlights.....Kilimanjaro, Supramonte, Extreme Tramping, and Biscuit the climbing dog.

Gutted I missed....Crampons and Tampons, Dovedale Grooves,

Disappointed by.....Depth Charge, Hot Rock, Hot Aches
 Bob 22 Nov 2005
In reply to hang 'em high:

"Who are you John? Do you represent KMFF?"

John Porter is one of the main organisers of the film festival.

Bob
 sutty 22 Nov 2005
In reply to Bob:

Listed here as film festival director;

http://www.mountainfilm.co.uk/film-festival/index.html
 Dave Garnett 22 Nov 2005
In reply to sutty:

I also didn't go this time after being a regular for several years. Partly just circumstances, but also partly a memory of too many impossibly-scheduled venue changes, predictably popular films put in small venues while less popular ones (previously shown on TV) enjoyed the larger cinemas, and being kicked out of our hotel (the Riverside) to make way for festival stars despite having booked and paid months in advance.

There's no excuse for being unable to get in to see a film for which you have been sold a ticket. As others have said, basically a great event, exciting atmosphere and some special films and lectures, slightly let down sometimes by over-ambitious scheduling. I know how difficult event organising is, I used to do it. The unexpected will always conspire to cock things up. It shouldn't be the same unexpected thing every year, though.
In reply to sutty:

Sutty, John Porter is the director of the film festival. Also, many people seem to be unaware of his climbing achievements, which included daring Alpine style ascents with of the E Wall of Kohe Bandaka in 1977 and the South Buttress of Changabang in 1978, both with MacIntyre and Kurtyka, and a new route on Nuptse.
 sutty 22 Nov 2005
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I had looked it up on that website when he posted last night. That is why I posted the link.

I did not know of his climbing forays but would think anyone organising this would have done a fair bit.

Marc phoned last night to tell of your nearly debacle, seems the general public liked it though. Shame car packed up when ready to come. had to be satisfied with local walk here.
styman 22 Nov 2005
In reply to John Porter: What a pathetic response. The people posting here have obviously attended the festival and are on the whole giving some very useful feed back.

I think you've lost sight of the fact that if no one attended you wouldn't have a festival at all.
 Offwidth 23 Nov 2005
In reply to John Porter:

Au contraire, the festival is great it just needs tightening up in some areas (especially allowance for slippages and planned slots for the bits you know you need to fit) also if fringe events are to be accepted dont stick them in a corner in the K Village where they are doomed to get an audience of grannies and toddlers looking for Cumbrian food.

One of the best bits is getting to talk to your climbing 'heros', in our case getting involved so much we were kicked out of the bar with one of them.
 Mark Collins 23 Nov 2005
In reply to Dave Garnett: Well said that man, this was my third visit and your right to point out that its the same problems re-ocurring.

Having said that its a great event, perhaps more competition from LAMFF and the Scottish one, apologise for not remembering the name would inspire the ironing out of these issues.
 Mark Collins 23 Nov 2005
In reply to styman: Well said, I don't like the idea that the organisers aren't interested in the attendees feedback, which is what a response like that says to me.

Did anyone go to the party by the way, and was it any good?
simmo 23 Nov 2005
In reply to Mark Collins: it was ok, was very good to catch up with some old mates, and meet some new ones

however it was billed as the legendary planet fear party!! which subsequently shut at 2
 sutty 23 Nov 2005
In reply to Mark Collins:

Didn't like stymans comments at all, not constructive in the least.

When you have run an event like this and you get negative feedback it needs to have something constructive to say or the comment is wasted. If I was doing it maybe I would be smarting a bit now, but would endevour to make sure the niggles get ironed out for next time.

net 23 Nov 2005
In reply to Mark Collins: The party was ok, not as good as last year though - there didn't seem to be many people, really, despite it having sold out! (I suspect people may have bought tickets then headed up to Scotland or elsewhere due to the brilliant weather). And the DJ wasn't so great compared to last year (and maybe the year before too) even though I believe it was the same outfit.

Overall I found festival was pretty enjoyable - by and large the changes in schedule worked in my favour though.

(ps - I was still dancing at 2.15, and left when it was still going on, so it couldn't have finished that early!)
simmo 23 Nov 2005
In reply to net: same as last year, stu miller, he did a good job, maybe it finished at 2.30 still pretty early
 Alrobertson 23 Nov 2005
In reply to Tom Phillips:

i happened to be in kendal for a ski tech workshop so i stopped by the festival to have a look. thought the houlding lecture was pretty good and got tickets for the best of.

is it just me or was the quality of the 'resolution', or whatever you want to call it, pretty poor? i didnt expect it to be perfect but things like parallelojams looked more like mpegs than dvd quality. it was however cracking fun (pun intended).
being caribou was a good idea but my god did it go on. and on. and on. very good political point made in a very drawn out fashion.
the salomon extended advert high flyer thing was really quite lame. i thought it made what is obviously an amazing thing to do look boring. again also very poor quality visuals.

i would have loved to have seen supramonte and some of the other films tho.
Pappy 24 Nov 2005
Plain and simply:

The event is excellent! Great atmosphere, good lecturers. Stop using Reghead, It's crap, no one goes there!

Well known US climbers lecturing go down well! Get more!
More climbing films and less BBC documentary style films.

No seperate lectures party! It makes us feel like scum and we the people who go feel unwanted.

pen doors to all sponcers offering you MONEY! not close the door on them becuase the biggest sponcer says so!

Kenny Stocker 25 Nov 2005
In reply to Tom Phillips:
had a really good time despite the excellent weather! i thought that the festival was more themed last year whereas this year there was no particular focus to the show.

didnt get in the party as it was 'sold out'.. why not just open the doors and let people flow between the dance floor and the bars? a lot of people I met in the bar had come out of the party!

compliments to the organisers who have obviously learnt how to organise a piss up in a brewery
 Jamie Hageman 26 Nov 2005

> perhaps more competition from LAMFF and the Scottish one, apologise for not remembering the name would inspire the ironing out of these issues.

The Fort William Mountain Film Festival is Feb 10th to 18th. Should be a cracker!

http://mountainfilmfestival.co.uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...