UKC

Any suggestions for a first big wall?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IOAN D 08 Dec 2005
Wanting to extend my climbing expirience next summer an wandering where in europe would be appropriate as a first Big wall expirience,this being a multy pitch route with no aid climbing involved and preferably taking one day.

many thanks
ioan
 IPPurewater 09 Dec 2005
In reply to IOAN D: Norway, Alps, Scotland, Pyrenees. How long a route are you thinking of ?

Ian
 beardy mike 09 Dec 2005
In reply to IOAN D: The Dolomites, Mello (if you climb well), Chamonix, Tete d'Aval (Ecrins), Veron Gorge, Naranjo de Bulnes...
 Moacs 09 Dec 2005
In reply to IOAN D:

The dollies have some very large, but amenably graded, walls. Did one this year near Sella that's 26 pitches but nothing over V.

John
OP IOAN D 09 Dec 2005
In reply to mike kann: Was thinking o Naranjo de bulnes or the dolomites but dont know where would be best as a first place to go. I fancy de dolomites but where i dont know
joelenham 09 Dec 2005
In reply to Moacs:

Was that by any chance the Fedele route on the Pordoispitze? It's graded IV+ but when we did it a couple of years ago, we thought it was a bit undergraded. Instead of translating as UK HS, we thought more like UK VS 5a for some of the pitches toward the 2/3 ledge. Awesome, awesome day out though!! Six hours' sprinting, trying to stay ahead of the 2 parties behind. Sadly, as their rack consisted of one wire and 2 Friends per pair, they moved a bit quicker than us! Definitely worth finishing up the 6 pitch chimney at the end.

To the OP: The Marikante (400 m, IV) around the corner is a better introduction for a first 'big' climb. You wouldn't want to get caught on the Fedele in a thunderstorm as the upper pitches of the first 21 or so follow a natural watercourse. Best guidebook IMO is '100 Classic Climbs in the Dolomites.' - photocopy the topos to take onto the route in a map case strapped to your sack - saves a lot of time on the changeover. Take a bandolier and plenty of slings. Gear is generally quite spaced, by necessity - you'll have a lot of ground to cover quickly, to avoid those afternoon thunderstorms.
 Moacs 09 Dec 2005
In reply to joelenham:

I've now got home and looked it up:
Yes, Fedele, IV+ 800m

Didn't think anywhere was 5a. The chimney was a bit of a squirm with a pack on. Nice cable car down...

John

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...