UKC

Which rucsac

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
IceMan1964 13 Dec 2005
Hi guys
Could someone help me with a new rucsac? I need a 35 - 40litre sac for general winter hillwalking / scrambling.
Cheers
 Craig Geddes 13 Dec 2005
In reply to IceMan1964: Lowe Alpine Attack is good. V-happy with it.
 Tree 13 Dec 2005
In reply to IceMan1964: The ME Dru 35l is really good for long backs, just watch you don't spill neat deet on the waterproof zip, like I did half way up Kili. Bought it off a guy on here in August, dead pleased with it.
Wonder if I can get it repaired?
Tree
 Craig Geddes 13 Dec 2005
In reply to Tree: *ouch*
 Kevin Forde 13 Dec 2005
In reply to IceMan1964:
Lowe Mountain Attak 40.
Fairly light and simple but a comfortable carry. Straps and buckles a bit slick to start with, easily sorted with a rub of sandpaper.
dinkypen 13 Dec 2005
In reply to IceMan1964:

I second the Alpine Attack as a great winter mountaineering pack for carrying axes, crampons, rope etc. The 40L pack is currently on offer at CCC in Sheff for £50.00!;
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/pp/Special_Offers/Backpacks_and_Rucksacks/Lowe_...

I also have a 35L Lowe Alpine contour mountain pack which accommodates axes and crampons well and is an ideal size for general winter hill walking.
 gingerdave13 14 Dec 2005
In reply to IceMan1964:
berghaus arete I've found very nice and useful, it's been cut down a bit by yours truly (trimmed of tat) but it's a decent sac,,, perfect for anything,,
Id 14 Dec 2005
In reply to IceMan1964: Macpac Pursuit 40L
Stormmagnet 14 Dec 2005
In reply to IceMan1964: You can spend anything fron about £40 for a Berghaus Arete, which is a perfectly good sack, to probably £200 for something very over spec'd. Personally I would get (have got) a Crux AK37, which is £120, but thats me. Go to a few shops and try some on, remember to fill them up with stuff.
noxious 14 Dec 2005
In reply to IceMan1964:

Probably aimed at skiers but good reduction
Lowe Alpine Contour Mountain

£75 down to £29...

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/pp/Backpacks_and_Rucksacks/Rucksack_-_30-50_lit...
IceMan1964 16 Dec 2005
In reply to All: Many thanks to all who replied - not sure which i'll go for, but i feel more informed now.
CluffyBiker 18 Dec 2005
Always Found my Wynster 35L rucksack very comfy, weather proof thing (bright orange) included, great bit of kit in general been all over country with it on a motorcycle. gr8 kit
 Si dH 18 Dec 2005
In reply to IceMan1964:
I have an Alpine Attack whicih others have recommended, although mine is 50 litres.
I have to say that although I think its a good design, its let down by poor build quality. Ive had mine about 15 months and the buckle on the rope has broken, so I cant tighten it much any more or it comes undone, which is a real pain the arse. Also, the plastic toggles on the drawcords are very poor and have been worn right throiugh simply by the friction from the cord - they must be made of very cheap plastic, and now they dont clamp on the drawcord properly. One of said drawcords has now (this week) snapped, so I cant do it up quite as neatly now, although fortunately its the lower of the two at the top, so its not essential.
Apart from above, it is a very good sack, I particularly like the floating lid design which is great, and the crampon pocket on the front.
Si
 Si dH 18 Dec 2005
In reply to Si dH:
should say "buckle on the rope strap"
dlh 18 Dec 2005
In reply to IceMan1964:

Don't buy Pod...they're shite and NOT waterproof.

I have had a MacPac rucksac for 10 years and it's still bomb proof! However as I needed a smaller sac I bought a Grivel Alpine Light (42litre model) and swear by it. Its features are geat incuding an internal pocket for a Platypus for which the tube then comes through a hole over you shoulder strap so you can clip it to this in a convenient place. Great sack and value for money!
 Sean_J 18 Dec 2005
In reply to IceMan1964: 2 words: Black Diamond.
 Schmiken 18 Dec 2005
In reply to Sean_J:

Karrimor Alp Lite 40+5.
IceMan1964 18 Dec 2005
In reply to dlh: I thought POD were supposed to be pretty good - what's your experience of them?
Marts 18 Dec 2005
In reply to IceMan1964: Have you tried looking at Millets sacs. They are extremely good in every way IMO. I have the MYGAL 35 and it is just awesome. Never seen a bag that looks as good or perfoms as good and is totaly indestructable. Everything you would need and no silly extras you won't. £120 for something of this quality is nothing when you realise how much your going to get out of it. Have a look at their range, Good stuff.
 minstrel 19 Dec 2005
In reply to Sean_J:
> (In reply to IceMan1964) 2 words: Black Diamond.

i have various bits of BD kit,poles & harness for example,saw a BD shadow sac on a web site.Any knowledge of this particular model or can you share the positives of your own BD
Thanks
In reply to Sean_J: Now you are really talking out of your arse. Bd make exellent, ice screw, ice tools, camelots, carbiners, wires (not very good ones tho). they don't make sacks. there sacks are poorly designed with loads of useless features.

The only people who make desent sacks are: Aiguille alpine, POD, crux, Macpac, Lowe Alpine and Berghaus.
 Sean_J 19 Dec 2005
In reply to minstrel: I've got a BD sidewinder (30L), from what i've seen it's a bigger version of the bullet and hollowpoint bags. Fabric is pretty damn tough but not too heavy, comfortable to carry with all but the heaviest loads. I like its clamshell design, it just zips open so you can get anything out without unpacking the entire thing. Massive YKK zips, so no worry about overloading it. Straps on the top to carry rope and helmet work well, and there's 2 hyperlon patches on the back to attach stuff to (you can make your own ice axe loops, bungee cord etc. for it). Hip belt is so-so; I now use a bit of 18mm tape as a hip belt, so it sits under my harness without getting in the way. Have used it a fair bit, well happy with it. Don't think it's quite big enough to carry bivvy gear as well as climbing kit, but on one-day alpine routes it's awesome.

Never seen the BD shadow, think it might use a lighter weight material than the sidewinder. have seen a BD Sphynx (35L or 45L); looked like a really nice bag, almost tempted by it.
 Schmiken 21 Dec 2005
In reply to The Great Pretender:

You gotta add Karrimor to that list, comfy, lightweight, practically indestructible. (plus they're the only ones that fit my back...)
 g taylor 21 Dec 2005
In reply to IceMan1964:

Golite jam pack
 cliff shasby 21 Dec 2005
In reply to IceMan1964: At the end of the day its up too you what you feel comfortable with,a while back i was looking for a new rucksack i spent ages sussing them all out and got a macpac xpd,i wanted something that could carry climbing and camping gear for winter but could still strip for climbing.After a few outings i realised i didnt like the sack the shoulder straps were very stiff and uncomfortable and the waist belt too rigid and cumbersome,i ebayed it and set about to find a replacement trying loads on in shops(loaded of course)even stripping them down in shops to see how easy they were to live with.I tried them all and found by far the most comfortable and easy to use in stripping down etc was the arcteryx nozone,stupidly expensive but did what i wanted it to do.
Only you know what is comfortable for you and what fits for you and what you want from a sack,go and try loads on and dont rush into buying something you might regret.
 Sean_J 21 Dec 2005
In reply to Schmiken: I'll second that; but didn't know karrimor are known as being particularly lightweight? But mine is definitely comfy, and is as indestructible as they come.
 link 21 Dec 2005
In reply to The Great Pretender:

> The only people who make desent sacks are: Aiguille alpine, POD, crux, Macpac, Lowe Alpine and Berghaus.

and millet
 link 21 Dec 2005
In reply to link:

And the grivel stuff is quite nice
 Tom M Williams 21 Dec 2005
In reply to Schmiken:
> (In reply to The Great Pretender)
>
> You gotta add Karrimor to that list,

apart from the fact they don't exist anymore (atleast as we used to know them)

Can't fault my ME solitude 40. its been battered and still infine order.
Juicy Lucy 21 Dec 2005
In reply to IceMan1964:
www.kimmlite.com

Not just because my partner is the sales gadgy for Kimm but they are a bloody good rucsac.

Mike Parsons is the director of Kimm previously Karrimor!
 probablylost 21 Dec 2005
In reply to Juicy Lucy: Kimmlite all the way. Get one quick before they get a really stupid name! Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
Juicy Lucy 21 Dec 2005
In reply to Beowulf:
Like you say the name (brand) has changed now to OMM!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...