UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Kendal Mountain Festival by Marc Chrysanthou

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 19 Dec 2005
Press pass in hand, guitar slung on his back, the travelling troubadour and illywhacker Marc Chrysanthou reports on the last Kendal Mountain Festival, 25 years after the first event in 1980 which Mick Ryan nostalgically recalls.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=162
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com:

I didn't know there was a film about the Bat. I'd love to see that. What happens to these old films? Does anyone know?
Clauso 20 Dec 2005

Up Where the Brave Go... What can I say? A valiant effort in the face of festival indifference. It was a Sex Pistols at Manchester's Free Trade Hall moment. Years later, thousands of people will boast "I was there!", Marc C will regard it as the moment he went off the rails on a descent to an oblivion of drink and drugs and the old lady will have morphed into a topless stage diver. From small beginnings...
 KeithW 20 Dec 2005
In reply to Alison Stockwell:
> (In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com)
>
> I didn't know there was a film about the Bat.

Jim Curran showed it at Huddersfield a couple of months ago. Great stuff, one of the highlights of a very good evening.
Ian Hill 20 Dec 2005
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: the link to the Crux bit at the end of that page doesn't work - demands password to get to admin area...

Ian
OP Michael Ryan 20 Dec 2005
In reply to Ian Hill:
> (In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com) the link to the Crux bit at the end of that page doesn't work - demands password to get to admin area...
>
> Ian

Thanks Ian. Should be fixed now. You may have to clear your cache.

Mick Ward 20 Dec 2005

Great write up! Could writing standards around here be much higher? Well, maybe, if I de-stressed and remembered speling & grammair.

Mick, I was there in 1980 - I think? The only one I ever went to. Where were you? Sorry about Steve telling you to, "F_ck off!" He was probably a bit under the weather at the time. Lovely bloke, really.

Alison S, The Bat's well worth seeing, Rab C and Brian Hall as Smith & Haston, get 'em to show it again, preferably with Curran's auteur, world film premiere hissyfit thrown in!

No hissyfits from the 'Up Where The Brave Go' boys (and girls). A bit like those lonely Siegfrieds of the 1930s on the Eigerwand, bad conditions & all that, but ever upwards.

There were men abed in Dorset who would have given half their new(?) routes to be there. Is there a next year? There's always a next year! "Ah, Jerry, why ask for the moon... when we have the stars!!!"

Meanwhile, back on planet auteur, 'one nod of my head would summon Lucy Creamer to my UKC trailer….”Marc! Wake Up!” Reality bit me too...' Aye, my lad, I'll bet it did. No doubt a good clout of the rolling pin awaited you when you finally made it home!

All best wishes,

Mick
 Offwidth 22 Dec 2005

If anyone wanted proof someone other than relatives of the performers and the photogrpher (Tim the Grey) turned up to listen from Rocktalk (shame on you all) at the great gig in the KV its my worryingly stained arm around the giggling granny. I would like to add I was not asked permission if my arm could appear in such a state and compromising position but thats journalism for you.
 Marc C 22 Dec 2005
In reply to Offwidth: <Worryingly stained arm>? The excitement was all to much for you, Steve, eh?

btw did you and Lynn get your invite to our New Year (Jan 7th) Musical Party? But, if you do come..(damn, knew I should have re-phrased that) try to control yourself!
 Offwidth 22 Dec 2005
In reply to Marc C:

No but I'll tell Lynn tonight. If we come this time you need to promise to sing earlier and rehearse less so we get to hear something; before we are forced to leave approaching midnight (like in the fairy tales). The stain looks very much like beer from the night before and she was more intersted in Elvis than me.
 Marc C 22 Dec 2005
In reply to Offwidth: We are fully-rehearsed and crowd-tested, thank you! I've told the other guests that all music and loud chatter will have to be curtailed around 10 in the evening so that you can get your Ovaltine and beauty sleep

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...