UKC

Size of rucsac fo ML training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PeterM 20 Dec 2005

Hi,

May be doing my ML training at PYB at the end of January. Have a Pod Black Ice size 2. It has never failed me before but not sure if it is appropriate. What have others used? Size, type e.tc?

Cheers,

Peter
 TRJ 20 Dec 2005
In reply to PeterM: Are we talking Winter ML?
 54ms 20 Dec 2005
In reply to PeterM:

I'd suggest a 55L - 65L. My mate did it with a 45 with some carfull packing, but I like to have some space so you don't have to spend so long arranging everything to fit.
 54ms 20 Dec 2005
In reply to Duncan_S:

That was for summer by the way - should have thought about when you where doing the course.
OP PeterM 20 Dec 2005
In reply to TRJ:

Summer ML training.
 DNS 20 Dec 2005
In reply to PeterM:

Assuming you mean the ML, not (W)ML

The limiting factor is going to be the overnight camp (typically one night on training, two on assessment). So - turning the question back to you - can you fit everything you need for a one-night tented camp, assuming you're working as a pair, into your Size 2?
 Carolyn 20 Dec 2005
In reply to PeterM:

I'd take a couple of sacs if possible. The first bit of the course is likely to be day trips - maybe a 40l sac, as you'll want room for kit such as a rope. Then you're likely to have a 1 or 2 night expedition - maybe a 60l sac - depending on what kind of tent, sleeping bag, etc you have.
 Albert Hinton 20 Dec 2005
In reply to PeterM:
Thats the sac i used for both my training and assessment without any problems at all. That included carrying some group kit. Use plenty of dry bags to keep stuff seperated though eg keep a wet tent away from dry stuff.

You may need to take a bit more in the way of clothing in Jan than I used in June, however you wont have to wait until nearly 11pm to do your night nav!!!

Enjoy it
OP PeterM 20 Dec 2005
In reply to DNS:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I don't know anyone who has done their ML and am unsure of the procedure regarding the overnight camp. If it is working as a pair then it should not be a problem, however if it is one person totally self-sufficient, without buying all the latest hot-shit micro gear, it may be a problem. Mnaged all my bivi gear, food, water,climbing gear e.tc (no tent mind) on a bivi on the way to the Barres Des Ecrin. Went as a pair. Only ended up doing the Dome de Niege .

Cheers,

Peter
Michael 20 Dec 2005
In reply to PeterM:
You'll be best off taking 2 rucsacs. One for the days out (steep ground, navigation, etc) and one suitable for back packing for the overnight camping exhibition.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but If you've got enough logbook experience to do the ML training you should have an idea of the size you'd need.

Norrie Muir 20 Dec 2005
In reply to PeterM:

Dear Peter

Three Tesco bags should be enough, as you will be told at the training what sort of rucsac will be required when you go for your assessment. I did my Assessment at Glenmore Lodge and they supplied a rucsac for me, as I never did the training.

Norrie
OP PeterM 20 Dec 2005
In reply to Michael:

Hi,

Not harsh at all. I guess it may just be nerves or something and it is not even the assessment! I usually only ever use the one 'sac for everything. If the overnight camp is as a pair I have no real concerns, but is this the case?

Cheers,

Peter
 beardy mike 20 Dec 2005
In reply to PeterM: At PYB they usually take groups of four and you pair off. And don't be nervous - its a fun course. Its the assessment you've got to worry about
 Craig Geddes 20 Dec 2005
In reply to PeterM: At glen-more they had us in pairs. My 60L was more than sufficient especially once I stripped out the unesecary dross (did my sleeping bag need to be inside it's stuff sack if I had it in a dry bag anyway? No. Etc). Thank you Andy!
Tim Morland 20 Dec 2005
In reply to PeterM:

If you need a larger sack for the two day exercise then you can probably get one on loan from their stores. Same goes for tents, stoves, headtorches, etc.

You might just check with them first though!
gecko74 20 Dec 2005
In reply to PeterM:

I followed the 2 sacks route - got away with 35l for all days except the overnight camp. My 70l was more than enough for that. If I had known I was sharing before might have got away with my 50l climbing sack, but I guess you can never be sure - take 3 sacks?!?!
Woodman 20 Dec 2005
In reply to PeterM:
I did both training and assessment at 'plastic bread bin' (assessment only an couple of weeks ago), I used 2 rucksacs; 35L for mountain days & Pod Black Ice for expeditions. During expeditions most participants 'double up' to share a tent and cooking facilities, reducing the amount you need to carry. For training, you can borrow most gear from their store, though to be sure just give them a call.

Enjoy yourself, I had great times with a great bunch of people.

Woodman
 Nic M 22 Dec 2005
In reply to PeterM:

I used my normal day pack on the single days (about 40l- was nowhere near full), and a 50l bag on the expedition.

On the expedition, I volunteered to carry the rope first. This meant it was dry (and therefore light), and I didn't have to carry it at the end (when I was tired).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...