UKC

Alan Hinkes OBE

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 'Hilda' 31 Dec 2005
Good 'hon' him.

Well derserved.
 gingerkate 31 Dec 2005
In reply to 'Hilda':
Hurrah! I agree, well deserved :-D
 Trangia 31 Dec 2005
In reply to 'Hilda':

Well done! Nice to see our sport recognised by his achievement.
Colin Barwell 31 Dec 2005
In reply to 'Hilda': nice one!
Carpe Diem 31 Dec 2005
In reply to 'Hilda':

OBE ??
Oxygen bottled endeavors???

Seriously though, he deserves all the credit, praise for what he's done!!
In reply to 'Hilda': Good on him. Cue: usual grumblers about MBE/OBE on here to get all wound up and hot under the collar...
baluchi 31 Dec 2005
In reply to 'Hilda':
> Good 'hon' him.
>
> Well derserved.

Sorry, I don't agree. As much as I admire the guy, Alan was very lucky to be able to get paid / supported to live out his dreams. I see no difference between him and all those overpaid football / pop stars that receive awards (apart from the amounts they receive) I think 'honours' should be reserved for those who devote their lives to help those who are less fortunate than ourselves. I'm talking of those people who don't court publicity all the time, but nevertheless make huge sacrifices for others. They are the real hero's.

sutty 31 Dec 2005
In reply to baluchi:

you may not agree but your comments do not carry weight as you have no profile up to justify yourself to others.

I do agree with you though that some others deserve some recognition, see the comments page on the BBC site.
Carpe Diem 31 Dec 2005
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
> (In reply to 'Hilda') Good on him. Cue: usual grumblers about MBE/OBE on here to get all wound up and hot under the collar...

didnt take long did it???

gingerkate 31 Dec 2005
In reply to baluchi:
> I think 'honours' should be reserved for those who devote their lives to help those who are less fortunate than ourselves.

Not sure about 'devote his life', but he's been a huge supporter of Wateraid, and raised lots and lots of money for their endeavours to provide the world's poorest peoples with fresh water and sanitation. He's used his high profile to do that ... a good bloke.
baluchi 31 Dec 2005
In reply to 'Hilda':

With reference to my last post, I also meant to add, that at the other end of the scale you get the riddiculous situation, such as what happened local to me, last year. A local person was awarded an MBE as she had been the local school lolipop lady for the last 25years. Personally I would of been embarrassed with that. Its like the Queen making a token gesture, almost humouring the person. Now then, if that same lolipop lady had been involved in spending all her hours outside of work on helping others, then I feel that would be a different story.
Carpe Diem 31 Dec 2005
In reply to baluchi:
Paid or unpaid, rich or poor, what they guy did over a 15year ( ish) period was incredible.

luck comes into it to a certain extent,i agree.

What he's done needs to be and should be recognised by those outside of the sport.
baluchi 31 Dec 2005
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to baluchi)
> [...]
>
> Not sure about 'devote his life', but he's been a huge supporter of Wateraid, and raised lots and lots of money for their endeavours to provide the world's poorest peoples with fresh water and sanitation. He's used his high profile to do that ... a good bloke.

Having worked in the water industry for the past twenty years, I am aware of his contribution, just as I am aware of the countless others who no doubt spend far more time than Alan in raising funds / awareness for Water Aid with no recognition whatsoever. Correct me if i'm wrong but Alan has been awarded this honour for services to his sport, not Water Aid.

baluchi 31 Dec 2005
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to baluchi)
>
> you may not agree but your comments do not carry weight as you have no profile up to justify yourself to others.
>
> I do agree with you though that some others deserve some recognition, see the comments page on the BBC site.

I have not been contributing to this forum for very long, hence no profile. However, why having a profile should make any difference to the weight of my comments, baffles me. Lets face it I could put any old rubbish up on my profile.

sutty 31 Dec 2005
In reply to baluchi:

Reel you in, hooked.

Actually having a basic profile is useful if you wish to meet people, buy or sell stuff or ask for advice on difficulty of routes and what is suitable to do.
No information to those who those who may be overstepping the mark due to no profile, even if it was Alan Hinkes under a nom de plume.

Happy new year, we haff ways of making you comply
 jools 31 Dec 2005
In reply to baluchi:

Having a profile will add weight to your comments if others can see you speak from experience or not.

These forums often discuss issues of safety or technical advice on serious situations and more often than not, someone will be reading it and then taking that advice to the crag.

For that reason alone your profile will help filter good advice from the bad.

Yes I agree you could put all sorts of crap on the profile but there are enough folks here of top calibre to soon weed that out.

Its can also be a right slanging match and no place the sensitive, pre-warned is pre-armed.

Hope you enjoy
 Dominion 31 Dec 2005
In reply to baluchi:

> Sorry, I don't agree. As much as I admire the guy, Alan was very lucky to be able to get paid / supported to live out his dreams.

And getting that support took him a fair amount of work. If you thinks it's easy, you try it. It didn't just fall in his lap, did it?

That makes him a high-profile employee and representative of his sponsors. That involves a certain amount of work, and in his case, attenpting to get up Kangchenjunga 3 times (broken arm, respiratory (bronchial infection) problems stopped the first 2 attempts)

Would you have te nerve to go back a 3rd time, when either of the other 2 could have been potentially fatal?

And the 2000 attempt on Kangchenjunga was a new route on the SW face, and a solo attempt...

http://www.k2news.com/alankang.htm

Oh, and Annapurna was a new route, and the first successful British ascent for 30yrs...
baluchi 31 Dec 2005
In reply to Dominion:

I agree 100%. However, all this was done for himself. In no way did it benefit others.
 Trangia 31 Dec 2005
In reply to baluchi:

I don't think the honours system requires a recipient to benefit others. It recognises excellence in a particular field, although I suppose the rub off to the "Establishment" is that the whilst the motivation might be selfish the achievement benefits the Nation in raising the profile.
 gingerkate 31 Dec 2005
In reply to baluchi:
I don't care, I think he's lovely and I'm glad they've given him an OBE. No-one does stuff in life without personal reasons and gratification, there are no saints and if there were they'd be no fun. I believe in celebrating courageous, interesting and generous people, and in celebrating achievement. I think celebrating achievement is inspirational. I find it exciting that people do stuff like that, stuff that I'll never do. It makes me feel better about the world.
Profanisaurus Rex 31 Dec 2005
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to baluchi)
> I don't care, I think he's lovely and I'm glad they've given him an OBE. No-one does stuff in life without personal reasons and gratification, there are no saints and if there were they'd be no fun. I believe in celebrating courageous, interesting and generous people, and in celebrating achievement. I think celebrating achievement is inspirational. I find it exciting that people do stuff like that, stuff that I'll never do. It makes me feel better about the world.

Hear hear! The British are so good at knocking people it's unfunny. Give the guy credit.

In reply to 'Hilda':

Good for him. Mick Fowler should be joining the ranks of the Sir Micks if there's any justice though.

Davie
 Andy S 31 Dec 2005
In reply to baluchi:
I disagree. Forgive me if this sounds a bit romantic but there are millions of people who either don't know what their dreams are or they do but are struggling to make them happen. This is universal to every human being and not everyone has people around them to inspire them, give them support, say 'it's OK to follow your dreams', or "you CAN do it, look I did!", or "he did" or whatever. Alan Hinkes dream was to climb all the 8000ers and I'm sure he made alot of personal sacrifice in other areas of his life to make it happen and an awful lot of hard work, planning, getting sponsors etc.

It was a mammoth task, but the main thing is that he had a dream and he made it happen. He can go on TV and other forms of media, people can look at him and think 'hey look, he followed his dream and he's ok, why can't I?'. He's the kind of very definite, easily defineable inspiration that I think is very important in our society and I would argue that he has benefitted, and will benefit many many people countless times over for this reason. And there is no doubt in my mind that he should receive an OBE.
Redpoint Tokay 31 Dec 2005
In reply to 'Hilda': Didn't that chef with the funny mouth get an honours? Hard to knock Hinkes in comparison.
Kali 31 Dec 2005
In reply to baluchi:

The honours system really isn't tbat important to most people and not worth getting het up about IMO.

Having said that, well done Alan
In reply to baluchi: "I'm talking of those people who don't court publicity all the time, but nevertheless make huge sacrifices for others. They are the real hero's."

Yeah, and many of them get recognition through the honours system!
In reply to Carpe Diem: Pavlov's dogs!!
scawf vu 31 Dec 2005
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:
> (In reply to 'Hilda')
>
> Good for him. Mick Fowler should be joining the ranks of the Sir Micks if there's any justice though.
>
> Davie

Absolutely!

Iain

Marts 31 Dec 2005
In reply to 'Hilda': I'll just tag onto this thread if you dont mind as they have pulled my original. Alan will be at Hutton Rudby village hall (North yourkshire) on 3rd feb doing what he does at these things. Tickets are £10 each and include the raffle and a drink. Its in support of the DoE awards 50th aniversary.
My lass has the tickets so email her at pam.higgins@theaward.org

Promised I'd mention it om here for her.

Cheers!!
smcc111 01 Jan 2006
In reply to 'Hilda': Good on him again, even getting "paid" to go into the mountains it doesn't make the effort any less. Seem to remember a broken arm not so long ago either. Rates as one of the finest acheivements by a british sportsman. I was appalled by how little press coverage he got at the time, in other countries he would have been a national hero. My hero, oxygen or not, least his brain will still work!
 Tyler 01 Jan 2006
In reply to Sam M:

Do you have a list of who is allowed to speak on which topics? I don't know AH, does that mean I'm not allowed to express an opinion either?

jim robertson 01 Jan 2006
In reply to Sam M:
> (In reply to baluchi)
>
> Do you know the guy?
>
> If not then shut the f*ck up!!!
>
> Sam

What a drab place this would be if we could only voice opinions of people we know personally.

.....now that Tony Blair.....well he's a real plonker he is......

I haven't the vaguest idea who you are Sam, but turn it down a bit 'cos you sound like a real divvy gobbing the guy for expressing his views.

Well done Alan.

Father Faff 01 Jan 2006
In reply to Sam M:

Happy New Year to you too! Got a hangover?

I agree that Mr Baluchi doesn't seem to appreciate what the honours system is for and it's undoubtedly imperialist history but being that rude to someone is somewhat out of order. And as others have said you can still have opinions about people without knowing them - I've never met George Bush but I can still say I don't like the guy and wouldn't want anything to do with him.

All Belushi was saying really is that he thinks the honours system should be for saintly types. However the fact is it isn't and it never has been. Real saints don't need honours anyway.
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 01 Jan 2006
In reply to baluchi:
> I think 'honours' should be reserved for those who devote their lives to help those who are less fortunate than ourselves.

That is your view but this is what they are given out for...

The Order of the British Empire
Motto: For God and the Empire
Date Created: 1917
Levels:
Knight/Dame Grand Cross (Post Nominal Letters:GBE)
Knight/Dame Commander (Post Nominal Letters:KBE/DBE)
Commander (Post Nominal Letters:CBE)
Officer (Post Nominal Letters:OBE)
Member (Post Nominal Letters:MBE)
This order was instituted by George V to recognise all levels of service to the country during the first ‘total’ war. It has evolved to embrace service and achievement in all fields. The Order has a military division and a civil division.
http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/ceremonial/honours/chivalry.asp

Win one cricket match against the Aussies or 18 years of endeavor against the 14 toughest mountains in the world?

Well done Alan, its the least you deserve.
baluchi 01 Jan 2006
In reply to Steve Crowe:

You said it. ITS MY VIEW.
In reply to 'Hilda':

people only get honours if they are sponsored by people to the prime minister so the lolipo ladies and milkmen who have had honorus in the past is due to the fact of lots of local campaigning and letters to teh prime mnister i expect and thus a few get the honours to make up the list every time.

I admit though that footballers shouldnt get honours as all they are doing id doing their job. If the IT staf got honorus everytime they got something orking they'd be stacked up with honours!(or is that just me and my It section)
Sam M 02 Jan 2006
In reply to baluchi:

Just came back to this thread as been busy treating all my guests really badly bacause I dont agree with their views!!!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but this thread was started as a congrats to Alan and you come on and say he does not deserve it!!

The bit that really got me upset is when you say -
Alan was very lucky to be able to get paid / supported to live out his dreams. I see no difference between him and all those overpaid football / pop stars that receive awards..

Do you know he was lucky and if so please explain how.

Sam

Sam M 02 Jan 2006
In reply to jim robertson:

Hi Jim

of course anyone on here can say what they like about anyone and I agree with you about the Tony Blair BTW...

...but what baluchi was more specific and said that Alan was lucky etc etc

I dont think that luck had anything to do with his achievement, but then I could be wrong..

Sam
Simon22 02 Jan 2006
In reply to Sam M:

And 'baluchi the clown' goes out of his way to praise the young lady who climbed the 7 summits in that other thread. I suppose she paid for it all out of her piggy bank savings.

Mind you Alan's climbing on these mountains simply doesn't compare the awesome feat of doing the 7 summits which probably explains why he heaped far more praise on her than Alan.
Simon22 02 Jan 2006
In reply to baluchi:

I've nominated you for an MBE next year for services to the circus. Keep your fingers crossed.
 sutty 02 Jan 2006
In reply to Sam M:

Well you sodded off to England when I came there, and returned when I came back so your bumper Galaxy bar I brought YOU has come back and is now MINE, ALL MINE. ;-p
 Ri 02 Jan 2006
In reply to Sam M: i do have to agree with you that IN MY OPINION, baluchi does occasionally post mindless drivel that is of no benefit to others (much like myself, however i like to think that baluchi does it with more mindlessness and with more drivel). And i also feel that people who own businesses are entitled to views the same way that the rest of us are.

but im sure he/she is a perfectly nice guy/gal
 jools 02 Jan 2006
In reply to Ri:
>
> but im sure he/she is a perfectly nice guy/gal

just not on here....

baluchi 02 Jan 2006
In reply to Marts:

I have the upmost respect for any market tradesman. If that was my business, does that make inferior to yourself? Speaks volumes, wouldn't you say.
Marts 02 Jan 2006
In reply to Sam M: you are probably right on that one sam. Why else would someone keep themselves hidden, unless it is simply that they can make strong comments and offences without feeling responsible for them.

Cracking film though, laughed my bits off all the way.
Sam M 02 Jan 2006
In reply to baluchi:

I am still waiting for the reasons you said Alan Hinkes OBE(well deserved) was lucky?

or where you talking out of your arse?

Sam
Marts 02 Jan 2006
In reply to baluchi: I've made no remarks about market tradesmen. I mearly asked you if you were one.
You see this is the problem, no-one can give you any 'credibility' because no one knows who you are or what you do.
Speaks volumes, wouldn't you say!!!!!!!!!!
 jools 02 Jan 2006
In reply to Marts:

This speaks volumes too!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=161600&v=1#2300568

New bull in an old china shop is apt....
sam the man 02 Jan 2006
In reply to baluchi: On one thread you seem to be bigging up the achievments of "Seven summitteers"(SP?) and the next slagging Alan Hinks-doesnt seem too right to me. Perhaps because you are doing the 7 summits. While I know Alan hinkes achievements have been viewed by some with derision, he is a good climber with an impressive track record, certainly far better than me, or many people on this forum. As to his reasons for doing the 14, why do you think anyone does anything? The England cricket team deserved their honours, but who were they doing it for?Probably mainly themselves. Same goes for most on the honours list, in some way at least. People are usually inherantly selfish-its human nature-doesnt mean we should ignore peoples achievments cos of it.
Sam
 IceKing 02 Jan 2006
In reply to baluchi: You are. I half believe that you are a "trolling" alter-ego of Steve Parker, based on the slating you give him. You offer out a nice proportion of reasonable posts to balance up the flaming and the trolls. Many seem to be falling for it. I have been trying to work out if Baluchi is a clue to an alter ego, or whether you are just genuine.
 Norrie Muir 02 Jan 2006
In reply to baluchi:
> (In reply to IceKing)
I am rather good, arn't I?

Dear baluchi

Yes, good, but more like Stephen Fry than Oscar Wilde.

Norrie
 IceKing 02 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Dear Norrie

One is alive and one is dead. But I believe they are equally witty. One just got there first, that is all.

IceKing

Happy new year BTW.
baluchi 02 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Dear Norrie

That is going too far

Baluchi
 Ri 02 Jan 2006
In reply to IceKing: i dont think they have them in MindlessIdiots Land unfortunatly, or he may soon have a similar "accident" as yourself.
 Norrie Muir 02 Jan 2006
In reply to

Dear IceKing & RI

Are you two really weans?

Norrie
baluchi 02 Jan 2006
In reply to Ri:
> (In reply to IceKing) oh no, im not bitter, i merely enjoy showing a grown man to be a retrobate
>
> And yes baluchi, of course you didnt say the word miracle, that would have been silly of you. However, that's what everyone was thinking.

Well, there you go then. If thats what everyone was thinking...............

CribGoch 03 Jan 2006
In reply to Sam M:
> (In reply to baluchi)
>
> I am still waiting for the reasons you said Alan Hinkes OBE(well deserved) was lucky?
>
> or where you talking out of your arse?
>
> Sam

I think that all high altitude mountaineering involves certain risks, many of which are out of the climbers control. Surviving 14 8000m peaks definitely requires a certain amount of luck. Many outstanding climbers have died in the himalaya through no fault of their own (apart from being there).

Rubbishy 03 Jan 2006
In reply to 'Hilda':

Anyway, back to the OP.

Good on him for an OBE, plenty of civil servants get them for simply for doing their job, so why should he get grief for something which is much more of an achievment than stepping out of Oxbridge and procuring manila envelopes for 30 years.
In reply to John Rushby:

Get back to work you numpty . . . oh and well done Alan, I believe you deserved it
Sam M 03 Jan 2006
In reply to CribGoch:

Yep, but he said he was ´lucky´ to get paid/finance to get to do them...thats a different matter altogeather!!!

Sam Orange
 Michael Ryan 03 Jan 2006
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to 'Hilda')
>
> Anyway, back to the OP.

Exactly John. About bloody time.

Mick
 sutty 03 Jan 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com:

Amazing how lucky you can get after working for 15 years to achieve your ambition isn't it? Alan had to put in the time and do the lecture tours as well as plan his routes and get up those mountains. seems nobody else in Britain has been that lucky, wonder if they did not have the dedication.
Bob P 03 Jan 2006
In reply to sutty:

I would say he is lucky, not for getting where he has, as this absolutly has been hard work and at times life threatening. But in as much as he has spent his time doing something he loved. Many people work hard at jobs they hate just to get by and pay the bills.

tony 03 Jan 2006
In reply to Bob P:

Luck suggests a degree of randomness. There hasn't been anything random about the way he's put the effort in and made things happen for himself. All credit to him for all his effort.
 Ridge 03 Jan 2006
In reply to Bob P:
> (In reply to sutty)
>
> I would say he is lucky, not for getting where he has, as this absolutly has been hard work and at times life threatening. But in as much as he has spent his time doing something he loved.

You can't call it luck though. It's purely down to personal dedication. He's had to make the same choices in life as the rest of us, but he had the guts to go with doing what he loved as opposed to compromising.

> Many people work hard at jobs they hate just to get by and pay the bills.

True - But you can't equate that to luck. It again comes down to making choices and living with your decisions. I have a job I hate, but that's my fault for not applying myself at school or having the nerve to opt for a less secure but more exciting or satisfying job. I could blame it on bad luck, but that's a cop out.
 Padraig 03 Jan 2006
In reply to sutty:

"Amazing how lucky you can get after working for 15 years to achieve your ambition isn't it?"

Slightly off topic! But reminds me of another of my heros(Well done Alan!) who once said..
"Golf is a lucky game! The more I practice the luckier I get!"

P
P.S. Jeez! There are some real wnakers on these fora! Thats why we love it!!!
the_other_chapati_of_doom_again 03 Jan 2006
In reply to 'Hilda':

14 8000'ers, but what's he ever done on grit?
 Ri 03 Jan 2006
In reply to the_other_chapati_of_doom_again: lmao, when u least expect it
 Steve Parker 03 Jan 2006
Well done Alan as well. I wondered if it would happen.

I agree about Mick Fowler and some others, but Al Hinkes has pulled off a nicely numerical feat (like a 4-minute mile) that is rather more comprehensible to the non-climbing public, hasn't he? They wouldn't understand Mick Fowler's achievements. Give it another 10 years at least. First British ascent of all the 8000'ers solo is comprehensible (with some explanation, no doubt) even to the Queen.
 jas wood 03 Jan 2006
In reply to 'Hilda': at the time more people had been on the moon ! think that sums it up really
Bob P 04 Jan 2006
In reply to Ridge:

You are right of course. I suppose it comes down to "you make your own luck" and in this case the luck I have associated with Alan is of his own making and for that alone something to be admired.

Tyler 04 Jan 2006
In reply to jas wood:

> at the time more people had been on the moon ! think that sums it up really

Utterly meaningless. How many people have done 1000 routes on Stanage or ticked all the problems on Kudos wall or soloed Right Wall. You could make up all sorts of arbitary challenges and "less people have walked on the moon than have completed this".
 GrahamD 04 Jan 2006
In reply to Steve Parker:

> They wouldn't understand Mick Fowler's achievements.

Thats because many of them have fallen down !
NickF 06 Jan 2006
He bought me a pint in Kathmandu once so I'm happy to congratulate him. If anyone else would like to buy me another I'd congratulate you too.
Seriously though it is deserved, he's earned it and no one who hasn't done an 8000m peak without oxygen is in any position to carp about the achievement.
 GrahamD 06 Jan 2006
In reply to NickF:

>....and no one who hasn't done an 8000m peak without oxygen is in any position to carp about the achievement.

I think you badly misjudge the purpose of internet chat rooms !

Seriously, though, it is valid for punters to try and put different achievements in context - otherwise its just hero worship 'cos the mags say so.

Astral Highway 06 Jan 2006
In reply to 'Hilda':

hear hear- i think he deserves it. i went to a very entertaining talk of his about 9 years ago when he had a long way to go on his 8,000-ers mission and i was struck by his lack of pretentiousness and humility.

he recalled how at one point, a piece of bamboo went right through his thigh early in one expedition. painful, huh?

it would have been very easy to fail or give up 100 times over on a goal like that.
layback larry 07 Jan 2006
In reply to 'Hilda': Wow, so many opinions and so many different vies. I personaly think he deserved more than an obe, i was suprised he wasnt knighted. Although it was a long time ago in a different Era, Hillary got knighted yet Joe Brown and George Band didnt.
Whetehr Alan was paid or not is irrelivant. Payment comes from success and companies believed in his ability to pull it off. Sir Clive woodward got a Knighthood for his services to Rugby (ie bringing home the World cup) some red-faced Jock got it for taking a bunch of 2nd rate mancunians to Barcelona and scraping a lucky 2-1 against a team that outplayed them for 88 minutes. I personally (and i state this is my opinion) when you compare the previous 2 Knighhoods Al should have Sir in fornt of his name. Never the less well done on your feat.
Ps i saw him solo something on grit once on TV mabe a moderate does that count!!!!
Blackie 07 Jan 2006
Well done to Al Hinkes.

His acheivements have been an inspiration. Met him on Helvellyn and he seems a really nice bloke aswell. Without guys like him being role models (and a much better role model than most footballers around today), I'm sure many of the young climbers about today may still be sat at home on their playstations.

And he's a Yorkshireman!
Kinley 07 Jan 2006
In reply to layback larry:

Here, here!
 peteetheridge 07 Jan 2006
In reply to Blackie: I agree - well done Al!! Achievements should be recognised and his are bigger than most!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...