UKC

FREE VIXEN TOR - Your Help needed:

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Team BMC 05 Jan 2006
The access situation at Vixen Tor remains unresolved. Dartmoor National Park Authority is in discussion with the landowner but there is no progress to report as yet. The BMC has written to the Chairman of National Park Authority twice highlighting the importance of Vixen Tor to climbers and walkers and urging the Authority to take action to secure access. The issue is due to be discussed again at the Authority Meeting (the main committee of the National Park Authority) on 3 March.

To help raise awareness of the importance of Vixen Tor it would be useful if people could put their views in writing to the National Park Authority. Climbers and walkers should write to the Chairman with copies to the Chief Executive (and the BMC) at the following addresses:

Mr N Hoskin
Chairman
Dartmoor National Park Authority
Fieldside
Dousland
Yelverton
PL20 6NN
hq@dartmoor-npa.gov.uk

Dr Nick Atkinson
Chief Executive
Dartmoor National Park Authority
Parke
Bovey Tracy
Newton Abbot
Devon
TQ13 9JG
hq@dartmoor-npa.gov.uk

Key points worth stressing in any correspondence include:

1. The significance of Vixen Tor for climbers and walkers; its regional / national importance etc.

2. The fact that climbers and walkers are generally responsible people who respect the natural environment and reasonable access restrictions.

3. Given the importance of Vixen Tor and the fact that it had previously had unrestricted access for 30+ years - the Authority should take any necessary steps to resolve the situation and regain access. The ball is in their court.

Dave Turnbull
Chief Executive
 Moacs 05 Jan 2006
In reply to Team BMC:

Letter going tomorrow morning. Thanks for the update.

John
Ian Hill 05 Jan 2006
In reply to Team BMC: does 'in writing' have to be by snail mail or will an email suffice?

Ian
OP Team BMC 05 Jan 2006
In reply to Ian Hill: Either would be OK although I suspect that a well written paper letter might be have more impact.

DT
FSA 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Team BMC: Letter on it's way, good luck with all your efforts in this matter.
 Haggis 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Team BMC: I shall be writing to the DNPA in a week or so and including the petition which currently contains over 1100 signatures.

If you have a petition sheet, the 16th January will be your last chance to get it to me.
graeme alderson 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Haggis: I sent the petition sheet to quite a few of the big walls along with a general BMC mailing. If anyone knows of any walls with the petition get them to send them in to Haggis.
 Haggis 06 Jan 2006
In reply to graeme alderson: I've definately had some back from walls but a lot of returns have been anonymous so I don't know who still has them.
 Chris the Tall 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Haggis:
Both the Edge and the Foundry still had the petitions on the desk/noticeboard this week.

However it has to be said the response from Sheffield climbers hasn't exactly been overwhelming
 Haggis 08 Jan 2006
In reply to Chris the Tall: I'll try to mail them and get the petitions returned.
 Kafoozalem 08 Jan 2006
In reply to Dave Turnbull: Remember me? I have done my bit and written two letters. Keep up the good work. Pete Saunders
OP Team BMC 08 Jan 2006
In reply to Kafoozalem:

Of course - thanks Pete - more letters from Plymouth/Devon locals be great. PT keeps me updated on how you're keeping.

Dave
 IainWhitehouse 09 Jan 2006
In reply to graeme alderson: We're sending ours back today.
Iain
 JB 09 Jan 2006
Can I suggest this request gets a posting on outdoors magic where there are lots of walkers who might be interested as well?

Just typing my letters as we speak...
 JB 09 Jan 2006
PS If, of course, it hasn't been posted there alreay. I did look but couldn't seem to find it...
 54ms 09 Jan 2006
In reply to Chris the Tall:

To be fair last time I went to the foundery the only reason I saw it was because I was waiting for a mate to fill in the new member form and I caught it out the corner of my eye, it was hardly in a prominent place.
 Haggis 12 Jan 2006
In reply to Duncan_S: Both Sheffield walls have returned their petitions, I now have over 1200 signatures.
 Andrew Barker 13 Jan 2006
In reply to Haggis: Hi, I must have had my head in the sand or something but I only found out about this petition at the weekend! I've been trying to collect signatures from people at Warwick Uni climbing wall but I haven't had a lot of time this week. However if it were possible for me to return the sheets to you by Thursday instead of Monday I could get a load more signatures from Warwick Uni Climbing Club.

If it's not possible I'll send what I have by Monday. I've also written letters and I'm gonna try to encourage some more people here to write as well, most people do seem genuinely interested.
OP Team BMC 16 Jan 2006
Update from BMC Office:

We emailed 100+ club secretaries today to encourage as many as possible to write to Dartmoor National Park on behalf of their clubs. If you're involved with a club - please send your friendly club official a reminder. We're also sending FREE VIXEN TOR posters to all climbing walls in England and Wales at the start of next week to help raise awareness. DNPA is still in discussion with the landowners over the access situation.

Dave Turnbull
 Andrew Barker 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Team BMC:

Are you sending out posters to all climbing clubs/university climbing clubs? Would it be possible to get one sent to

Warwick University Mountaineering Club
Students' Union
University of Warwick
CV4 7AL

I was last year's president and I still involved with the club. I'm currently collecting signatures for Haggis' petition and encouraging people to write letters, so a poster would be useful.

Thanks.
OP Team BMC 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Andrew Barker:

...will put you on the mailing list, cheers.

DT
 Andy Cloquet 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Team BMC: Even though the access situation is vastly different here in Scotland, this issue has UK importance. Any climber visiting Devon might wish to climb on the moors and with such a situation as this lingering, folk might be put off climbing anywhere similar just to avoid getting caught up in any local problem that might not be well know outside the area. So, perhaps Scottish walls, too might be asked to display a poster in the name of UK climbing interests.

On a side note, may I hijack this posting to send greetings to Pete O'Sullivan who patiently belayed me as his second after his 1st ascent of Green Beret Direct. Many Happy memories of following in your wake, Pete, as you dragged a wet-eared, novice outdoor instructor around the Devon countryside back in 1979 / 80!
aye, Andy
 Haggis 20 Jan 2006
In reply to Team BMC: My letters have been sent off including the petition which came in at 1480 odd signatures.

If anyone still has petition sheets, please send them direct to the DNPA along with a polite letter as discussed in the OP.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...