UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Sharpening your ice tools by Graham Gedge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 05 Jan 2006
"Winter is here and we can anticipate a spate of questions about sharpening the tips of axes and crampons on the UKC forums. This article provides a basic guide to some do’s and don’ts on the subject, taking into account previous discussions on the forums." says Horse (aka Graham Gedge) in his latest article Sharpening up your act, and your ice tools

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=163

Thanks Horse and also a big thanks to Colm O'Dwyer for his gob smacking photo that illustrates this article.
 Lbos 05 Jan 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com:

Nice one!
OP Michael Ryan 05 Jan 2006

> Thanks Horse and also a big thanks to Colm O'Dwyer for his gob smacking photo that illustrates this article.

And quite an apt photo......in Horse's interview when asked, "What would be your dream climbing trip outside the UK?"

He replied:

"I used to dream about Ama Dablam."
 Norrie Muir 05 Jan 2006

Dear Mick

Horse's article is not bad, it was the same information I got in my metalwork class I got at school in 1963.

Norrie
 sutty 05 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Probably, but they do not do metalwork now Norrie but file things on computers.

Are you sure he didn't mean to say he fancied climbing onto Anne Robinson?

Davie

OP Michael Ryan 05 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> (In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Dear Mick
>
> Horse's article is not bad, it was the same information I got in my metalwork class I got at school in 1963.

And unlike many you probably paid attention.
 Chris Fryer 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: He forgot to add the rule about expecting to climb mixed if you have sharpened your tools the night before, and ice if you haven't.

The house I used to live in in Leeds had an ornamental gronding wheel in the back garden. That was ideal for sharpening tools.
 Horse 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Chris Fryer:
> (In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com) expecting to climb mixed if you have sharpened your tools the night before, and ice if you haven't.
>
>
I believe this falls into the category of "Sod's law", ergo it is true.
 Chris Fryer 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Horse: Indeed. How you doing anyway? Fancy a trip up this way this year? Reiff? or mountain route "epic"?
 Rubbishy 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Horse:

After conducting a double blind experiment I can conclusively state that as soon as my ice tools are taken out of the cupboard the wind in Lochaber swings to west and it starts to rain.

You two going to Glencoe?
 Horse 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Chris Fryer:

I will be in Glen Coe in March. Given there is a major football competition this summer tradition dictates that I will arrive in Scotland the day England get knocked out. There have been some initial discussions with some natives, to be continued in March, about maybe mountain venues. I have yet to broach the subject with The Boss.
 Chris Fryer 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Horse: pm'd yiz both.
 DougG 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Horse:

> I will be in Glen Coe in March. Given there is a major football competition this summer tradition dictates that I will arrive in Scotland the day England get knocked out.

Could you try to cross the border some time on 20th June then please Horse?
 Horse 06 Jan 2006
In reply to DougG:

OK, the German one as I head out for the knockout stages. Scotland may have to wait till July.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...