UKC

Corbie's Crag, Blackford Hill, Edinburgh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 19 Jan 2006
Today whilst walking around Blackford Hill, I noticed a reasonably large (30+m) outcrop of the southside of the hill about 250m west of Blackford quarry, On the tourist maps dotted around the hill, it is named Corbie's Crag.

I have googled for it without sucsess and i'm sure its not in SMC Lowland Outcrops.

There is a faint path running through the trees up to the bottom of it, so I assume people have been there, has anyone climbed there? Are there access issues?

The climbing looks steep, hard and bold in most places, but there does appear to be a few easier lines, and the rock quality looks brillant, miles better than Blackford Quary!
 Mike Conlon 19 Jan 2006
In reply to Removed User: Can't help but don't confuse with Corby's Crag in north Northumberland in your research.Good luck.
Removed User 19 Jan 2006
In reply to Mike Conlon:

hehe, google suggest Corby's crag as a spelling mistake!
 Martin W 19 Jan 2006
In reply to Removed User: Corbie's Crag is certainly in the old edition of SMC Lowland Outcrops, right next to Blackford Quarry. I'm pretty sure it's in the current edition too although I can't check right now 'coz mine is at home and I'm in the office.

I've not tried any of the routes but IIRC the book specifically mentioned the shortage of useful gear placements (is that what you meant by "bold"?) and the fact that many of the top-outs were through gorse bushes.
Removed User 19 Jan 2006
In reply to Martin W:

I'll have to have another look at the guide then.

Yes that is what I meant by bold, doesn't look the sort of place you'd want to fall off!
 Martin W 19 Jan 2006
In reply to Removed User: I thought the same, the one time I went to have a look at it.

If you find it's not in the edition of the guidebook you've got, drop me a line and I'll scan the relevant pages from my copy for you.
Marts 19 Jan 2006
In reply to Removed User: Sorry I'm having trouble following this a bit but am interested to know if their is another corbys crag apart from the northumberland venue. I was talking to a guy a while back about some of the climbing at Corbys and Having climbed alot there was a bit thrown by not being able to recognise any of the climbs he was talking about. This would probably be a good reason.
 stuartf 19 Jan 2006
In reply to Removed User:

It's definitely in the 1995 Lowland Outcrops guide. I've soloed Retromingent ridge which was good fun; the rest appears mostly unprotected, and there's no belays at the top either. And there's a lot of gorse!
 Martin W 19 Jan 2006
In reply to Marts:

> ...am interested to know if their is another corbys crag apart from the northumberland venue

The Edinburgh one is called Corbies Craig on the OS map. But yes, there does seem to be scope for confusion.
Removed User 19 Jan 2006
In reply to stuartf:

aye, on closer inspection it appears it is. Sorry, feel a bit of a pillock now!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...