UKC

Andy Nisbet: Grangemouth Town Hall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 20 Jan 2006
Andy Nisbet will be giving a talk and slide show at the Grangemouth Town Hall Tuesday 24th January. £5. Talks on Scottish Winter Mountaineering.

Haven't anymore info than that...
Removed User 20 Jan 2006
In reply to Removed User:
Oh aye 18:30 to 20:30........
 Burnsie 20 Jan 2006

would like to see this : what's your source ?
Removed User 20 Jan 2006
In reply to Burnsie:
Advert and poster for it on out works intrasite. the talk has been arranged by Falkirk Council.
 Erik B 20 Jan 2006
In reply to Removed User: think ill go, would be good to see his reportedly amazing slide collection, you dont get many chances. how the hell does one get to grangemouth by train? it would be good to have a wee bevvy afterwards
Removed User 20 Jan 2006

Yep, saw a slide show of his last winter which was excellent. It'll be well worth going to.
 Burnsie 20 Jan 2006
In reply to Erik B:

I can get you there from glasgow but you'll have to find your own way back.
In reply to Burnsie:

Pick us up a ticket if you can. I fancy it too.
Cheers
Davie
PS will phone you r.e the morra later. Should be a goer.
Removed User 20 Jan 2006
In reply to Erik B:
Train to Falkirk Grahamston, 5 mins walk to bus station. Most buses to G/mouth, Bo'ness or Edinburgh will stop outside or a couple of mins walk from the town hall. Retrace route and stop off in Behind the Wall close to the train station (anybody in Falkirk can tell you where it is!!). Go upstairs for ales and malt. Downstairs for shite music and fanny (though there will probably not be too much about on a Tuesday....
 Gav M 20 Jan 2006

Worth noting that the Grahamston train stops everywhere and takes ages. The train to High is much quicker, I can't see Eddie getting a bus anyway.

It is important to get on the Glasgow train on the way back, I once ended up on the last train to Perth after a binge in Falkirk.

Sounds like the best thing ever to happen in Grangemouth, shame Andy couldn't have done the talk some time during the three years I worked in that dump.
In reply to Erik B:

Eddie I'll give you a lift if you want. I'm back to work the next day so I'll be aff the bevvy. Gies a phone.

Davie
 Norrie Muir 20 Jan 2006
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:
> (In reply to Erik B)
> Eddie I'll give you a lift if you want. I'm back to work the next day so I'll be aff the bevvy. Gies a phone.
>
Dear God

He will need someone to carry his bevvie, so you may need me as well.

Norrie
Removed User 20 Jan 2006
In reply to the real dr gav:
Yer talkin' pish....The Bunnymen played in 1980.

Granted the train to the High is quicker, but it's a feckin trek from anywhere.
 Burnsie 20 Jan 2006

where do you get tickets ?
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Fair enough.

Davie
 EsT 20 Jan 2006
In reply to Burnsie: As a measure of how committed to his climbing Andy is (as if you needed one), when I asked him whether he was interested in speaking at my series in Edinburgh, he said he wasn't interested as it was too far and would mean missing a day of potential winter climbing!

How do I get tickets, I'd be interested to go too, especially as is not far from where I work now.

Cheers, Es.
Removed User 20 Jan 2006
In reply to EsT:

http://www.falkirkonline.net/Whats%20On/Eventlist.aspx?keyValue=5778

Doesn't mention tickets, might just be pay at the door. The Town Hall is quite big.
 Erik B 20 Jan 2006
In reply to Removed User: OK, the meeting place for UKC Team Jakey is downstairs in Behind the Wall. See you there.
Rhoddy Stewart 20 Jan 2006
In reply to Removed User: Fanny? in FALKIRK!? PMSL....
 Norrie Muir 20 Jan 2006
In reply to Rhoddy Stewart:
> (In reply to Just a bhoy) Fanny? in FALKIRK!? PMSL....

Dear Rhoddy

Plenty of fannies play for Falkirk, I'll have you know.

Norrie
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Dear Norrie

This is true

Rhoddy

Norrie Muir 20 Jan 2006
In reply to Rhoddy Stewart:

Dear Rhoddy

Falkirk’s pole dancers are all ex shipyard workers from Gdansk.

Norrie
In reply to Norrie Muir: I really thought it was a female, honest officer....!

R
 IanMcC 20 Jan 2006
Thanks for the e-mail Andy. Will be there. could probably sort lift back to falkirk/stirling train stations for weegies if not on piss myself.
Iain Forrest 20 Jan 2006
In reply to IanMcC:
> if not on piss myself.
And just how likely is that, Ian?

Jen and myself can hopefully make it along too.
 yer maw 20 Jan 2006
In reply to Removed User: For Mr Nisbet I think I'll have to get off baby duties for that show. You're certain it's pay on the door though aye?

behind the wall, is that not a burds boozer wi alchopops alround?
Removed User 21 Jan 2006
In reply to yer maw:
Not certain at all, best email yon bloke from the cooncil

Looks like we got ourselves a picnic....ahem....I'll fetch me cagoule
 IanMcC 21 Jan 2006
Great! We can get Yer Maw to give Erik and Norrie some advice on how to go winter climbing... once he's finished buying everyone drinks.
 yer maw 21 Jan 2006
In reply to IanMcC: cheeky auld yin. I can give you advice on how not to be grumpy and dour though!
 IanMcC 21 Jan 2006
In reply to yer maw:
Of course you can.
Suprised I haven't seen you trying to blag a free trip to the gig on "Lifts and Partners " forum yet..
 yer maw 21 Jan 2006
In reply to IanMcC: better to offer a lift than request. better chance of making money? I don't know why I pander to this tight fifer image as I'm not like the rest of them am I?
besides you stirling tory lot have loads of cash to throw around I can't keep up.
Slugain Howff 23 Jan 2006

bump
 IanMcC 23 Jan 2006
Phoned up Outdoor Ed. at Falkirk Cooncil, who confirmed it's pay on the door.
Perhaps we could organise a whip round for Yer Maw's ticket?
Removed User 23 Jan 2006

Is anyone driving from Embra? If so could I get a lift?
 AndyH1710 23 Jan 2006

Could be tempted if I can get the day off...and if I can figure out where Grangemouth is.

Andy
 martin riddell 23 Jan 2006

hmm, sounds good
unfortunatly I have to go up to Huntly tomorrow, would not be back in time
 yer maw 23 Jan 2006
In reply to Removed User: I can give you a lift from Dunfermline station if that's any good. I'm leaving around 5.30pm.
In reply to martin riddell:

Huntly, you're bloody lucky. I've got to go to Crawley - fekin Chav Central. Can someone tape it for me?
 Malcolm 23 Jan 2006
Anyone happen to be driving to this from Glasgow? If so, is there any chance I could get a lift please?
 DougG 23 Jan 2006
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:

> (In reply to martin riddell)
> Huntly, you're bloody lucky.

Naw he isnae.

Martin, for god's sake steer clear of the pubs, or there a more than even chance you'll get a kicking.

"Huntly - The Family Town"

or as my mate from Insch says

"Huntly - The Family Town (and if your family isn't from Huntly you can Fvck Off)."
 martin riddell 23 Jan 2006
In reply to DougG:

will avoid the pubs - just going up and back for the day

will be spending some time up there in the near future though, thinking of crashing at friends in Elgin though

will bear that in mind when I do go out in Huntly though
 Erik B 23 Jan 2006
In reply to DougG: naw he isnae! class, one of the best ever scenes from still game eh?
 Erik B 23 Jan 2006
In reply to martin riddell: I can confirm Dougs intimation that huntly is a braw wee town
Removed User 23 Jan 2006
In reply to yer maw:

Thanks Yer but that's a bit early for me.
Iain Forrest 24 Jan 2006
Removed User 24 Jan 2006

I think Polmont is the nearest station to the Town Hall. I'm going to take my bike on the train and cycle from there.

Are folk still heading to the "behind the wall" boozerama for an apres show nigh cap?
gourd 24 Jan 2006

To anyone who is going:

Could you do me a huge favour and ask him if has any slides of a route called Artemis (He might know it as Flirtation) on The Ben? If so, I'd love to see (get copies!!) of them. Let him know I'm interested and who knows maybe he'll get in touch.

Alternatively does anyone know how to get in touch with him?

Here's hoping.......

Burnsie 24 Jan 2006
In reply to gourd:

email him !: address on SMC site for reporting new routes.
gourd 24 Jan 2006
In reply to Burnsie:

D'oh!!

Thanks for that. Bit obvious really.
In reply to Removed User: If I get out of work early enough to take the car I'll give you a shout, but more likely is I'll have to do the same as you. Better for the drinks after, although it's a shame that it's a school day next day.

Cheers,

Andy
Iain Forrest 24 Jan 2006
Argh, there seem to be 2 postcodes for Grangemouth Town Hall. The one from the Falkirk Online link is on the same street I linked to on the map above, but a bit further East.
 Norrie Muir 24 Jan 2006

Dear Just

Ok, who went to the talk, and what did people think about it?

Norrie
In reply to Norrie Muir:

It was good. I like to hear the history of how folk actually do new routes. Maybe he could have concentrated on a handful and went into depth about them, but it was good.

Davie
Removed User 25 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

I thought the laser show was a bit over the top and quadrophonic sound sytsem a bit mushy.

Apart from that I thought it enlightening rather than inspiring. It was great to be able to look down the crux pitch of Dagger on the first ascent and see the corner filled with lovely plastic ice and I was also surprised to see Colin McClean climbing Unicorn in such thin conditions. I'd always thought that you'd want to have the corner nicely banked out with neve (as I think it will be on occasions every winter) rather than tackle it as an icy rock climb. I almost asked Andy what was the hardest pitch on that route but thought it conceiveable that I may still climb it so I didn't bother. The show also only scratched the surface of what he's done but that's Andy.

I thought some of Andy's story's were great too but having been out on the hill with him a few times I've heard some better ones.

He could do with a better slide projector and one of those laser light sabre things.

By the way, I meant to say hello but you disappeared before I could do so.
Iain Forrest 25 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:
I thought it was a good set of slides and an interesting story to go with them, worth the trip and the entry fee.
The projector was crap, but I think from the fussing around at the start that something had gone a bit wrong with that.

Furthermore, I was astounded when the despicable Fifer bought a round in the pub afterwards (£15.15, no less) - just goes to show the powerful effects the Grangemouth fumes can have.
 Burnsie 25 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Aye thought it was good, quite depressing to see slides of the cracking winters of the past and i wonder if we will ever see the likes again. (the slide of Oui Oui was a prime example)

Also reminded me that i should probably get my arse up to the northwest more often - i havn't been past inverness for donkeys.
 DougG 25 Jan 2006
In reply to gourd:

> Alternatively does anyone know how to get in touch with him?
> Here's hoping.......

http://www.boatofgarten.com/nisbet/default.htm
 Norrie Muir 25 Jan 2006

Dear Eric

I think he tailored it to a suit a general mountaineering audience. I would have preferred more interesting stuff, as he has climbed in out of the way places. There were only 3 venues in the NW.

The illustration of the contrast in conditions of the same climb was unusual. Not many people have photos of the same climb in different conditions.

The audience was lucky that Andy had not ask for comments/questions during his talk. We would have still been there at midnight or Andy would have had a red face to match his hair.

Yes, young Colin did pick up bad habits climbing with Aberdonians.

The Amateur Night feeling to the talk had its moments, it brought back memories of slide shows in our homes 30 years ago.

See if you can get Andy to do a comprehensive Powerpoint/talk in the near future, then we can meet up.

Norrie
 IanMcC 25 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:
I enjoyed the "old school" slideshow. Not sure how helpful the demonstration of torquing with the narrow guage pooltable triangle was, though!
Also interesting trying to work out which of the inhabitants of this forum were which.
(Can confirm the unlikely fact that Yer Maw bought a round- in The Tavern across the road)
 Burnsie 25 Jan 2006
In reply to IanMcC:

for members of the audience that have never torqued an axe in there puff i thought it got the point accross very effectivly.
 Norrie Muir 25 Jan 2006
In reply to IanMcC:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)
> Also interesting trying to work out which of the inhabitants of this forum were which.

Dear Ian

I asked Andy two questions at the end, you would have recognised me, by my polite questioning.

Norrie
 Erik B 25 Jan 2006
In reply to Burnsie: I could be mistaken but Oui Oui has been in outstanding nick in recent years
 Burnsie 25 Jan 2006
In reply to Erik B:

Including the top pillar ?
 IanMcC 25 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:
I had guessed who you were, even before your polite questions. I was with the Ochils group who arrived late and got seats right at the front.
 Norrie Muir 25 Jan 2006
In reply to IanMcC:

Dear Ian

I thought Geordie Sketon would have been there, as I was hoping someone even older than me would be there. Mind you, I did feel old, listening to Andy talk about how he started front pointing. He must have been in shorts and still at school, when we were frontpointing with leashless tools.

Norrie
OP Anonymous 25 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir: Nisbet's only in his twenties. He's had a hard life mind!
 IanMcC 25 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:
I just realised I didnae phone Geordie about it. I could be in bother...
 yer maw 25 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir: I was there originally at the back till they got some seats then I was in front of everyone.

I liked the show and was glad to see how steep some of these harder climbs were. it was also good to see that conditions weren't always good and the ascents of unicorn and one on beinn eighe even had to be justified by the great man himself, though they were clearly verglassed.

I forgot to ask about the affect new/ modern kit has had on climbs and whether he thought the same grades hsould be applied or a change should be made? alas it's easy to debate that on here.

unfortunately I was also mugged by the stirling tories and made to buy them a drink before entering their flash motors.

the only people I sussed out from here were Norrie who waqs busy in conversation, as I was being manhandled to the pub and someone I already knew Mr Andy Clark.

Norrie Muir 25 Jan 2006
In reply to yer maw:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir) > I forgot to ask about the affect new/ modern kit has had on climbs and whether he thought the same grades hsould be applied or a change should be made? alas it's easy to debate that on here.

Dear yer

Since I used old tools well before Andy started climbing, I think he would agree with me that modern tools were/are far superior to the old tools. Torquing with modern tools allowed ascents of cracks without ice, before the cracks had to be iced up, now it is harder to climb iced cracks.

Now, winter climbing with basically a rock rack is standard on non ice routes, I was doing this 35 years ago

Climbing ice routes, using modern ice screws for protection only allows people to push their grade, it does not make then climb better.

As for grades, with the advancement of equipment, the grades have risen. I think the grades of the old climbs should either be downgraded or stay as they were recorded.

Norrie
In reply to yer maw:

Were you talking to Andy at the end?
I was sitting with Norrie, Burnsie and him in one row. I was wearing a stripy jumper.
I wasn't sure if it was you or not, and having seen you were a good head taller than me I ducked out in case you decided to discuss any cheek I have given you on various sites 'outside'.
; )
I think Norrie wanted to get some 'fresh air' anyway.

Davie

Removed User 25 Jan 2006
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:

Shame you all dashed off. I was wanting to say hello.

I take it nobody went to the Behind the Wall place? Myself and Andy McPherson went back to Embra for bevvy after an entertaining cycle tour of Grangemouth and Falkirk.

I was wearing the red jacket and dark blue shirt and sitting at the front in the second half.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...