UKC

Climbing insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pookie 23 Jan 2006
Hi all
Can anybody recommend good, cheap insurance for mountaineering/climbing/ski-ing.
I've always looked to the BMC in the past as I like to support it but I don't think it's the cheapest by a long shot. Any thoughts?
Cheers
Pete
 Damo 23 Jan 2006
In reply to pookie:

http://www.ihi.com/english.asp

IHI cover climbing and are now commonly used by Antarctic expeditions. Can be bought online and queries done real-time using chat function.

D
Kev on the road 23 Jan 2006
In reply to pookie:
The BMC are not cheap but like most things you get what you pay for there service is spot on and always pay out and the medical emergency if fantastic.
Have a read of my post on here.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=162267

kev
Sperm 23 Jan 2006
In reply to pookie:

Hi Pookie,

Snowcard do very good insurance they will cover most outdoor sports and can tailor make some if necessary.

Boomshanka

hardon 24 Jan 2006
In reply to pookie: STA Travel are dirt cheap and cover all the usual...
 alasdair19 24 Jan 2006
In reply to hardon: look carefully! sadly they no longer cover really exciting holidays even with the premium rate, quite a few have tightened up in the last year or to
 SiWood 24 Jan 2006
In reply to pookie:

Austrian Alpine club (UK section). 35 quid a year including rescue insurance for climbing and skiing.
 j_duds 31 Jan 2006
In reply to pookie:
contacted sta travel to ask what they covered regarding rjukan ice climbing, this is their delayed reply:

STA Travel said on 31/01/2006 10:09:29
Hi there

I have just been in contact with our insurance department and they have informed me that Lead ice climbing cannot be covered under our insurance policy. Regular ice climbing can be however for £16 per person for the 6 day period. I hope this was of some help.

I presusme "regular" means tope-roping or guided climbs?!
oqdos 10 Feb 2006
In reply to pookie:
Never ever go for French CAF!!! I had two accidents over 4 years with CAF and they have always been a pain in the ass to pay the bills. They are even worse now as it only covers France, Italy and Swiss.

Austrian is apparently good.
rogerc 11 Feb 2006
In reply to Damo:

Pete

I second Damo and IHI offer the best premium price and coverage. All the others charge like wounded bulls

Cheers
Roger
Russell Dadson 21 Feb 2006
In reply to Damo:
> (In reply to pookie)
>
> http://www.ihi.com/english.asp
>
> IHI cover climbing and are now commonly used by Antarctic expeditions. Can be bought online and queries done real-time using chat function.
>
> D

IHI quoted me £47 for 5 days medical only cover - Snowcard quoted me £21 for Euro climbing cover, £25 including gear - the IHI deal is with a Danish insurer and the limits of cover seem alot lower than BMC or Snowcard cover - cheers - Russ
 septic 21 Feb 2006
In reply to pookie:

we used Campbell Irvine for an expedition to Kyrgyzstan.

www.campbellirvine.com

In reply to septic:

What did you do in Kyrgyzstan? I was in Al Archa several years ago, just curious.

Stuart
In reply to pookie:

My attitude to the BMC policy has changed since they explained that the profits get ploughed back into BMC funds. I had assumed that some insurance company in the background was profiting. From now on I will stick to the BMC one unless it genuinely doesn't cover my requirements.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...