UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Dosage 3 DVD by Mick Ryan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 31 Jan 2006
"This dose is a small prayer to what we have been given, words of thanks to the spiritual, thanksgiving for a time when man lived in harmony with the world, before the ego grew and asserted itself upon the natural world. When we communed with earth angels and natural spirits before the Great Seperation."

Josh Lowell's Dosage 3 DVD reviewed. Dosage 3 features Chris Sharma, Tim Emmett, David Graham, Klem Loskot, Ben Moon, Beth Rodden, Tommy Caldwell and Ron Kauk. Ryan also interviews Lowell one of the world's best climbing videographers.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=175

Norrie Muir 31 Jan 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com:
> "This dose is a small prayer to what we have been given, words of thanks to the spiritual, thanksgiving for a time when man lived in harmony with the world, before the ego grew and asserted itself upon the natural world. When we communed with earth angels and natural spirits before the Great Seperation."
>
Dear Mick

Are you a hippy? If, not, could you translate the above quote into something a normal person such as myself could understand?

Norrie
In reply to Norrie Muir: I think he is suggesting that we buy it. Shame no one seems to sell it...
 TRNovice 31 Jan 2006
In reply to Richard Bradley:

"Infinite lessons in a vertical world" was one piece of drivel that stood out amongst so much else psychobabble in the Kauk section.

Saying that, the rest was excellent - though the Rodden / Caldwell section was stand-out, the lack of pretension and sheer enthusiasm for what they were doing was a great antidote to some other climbing DVDs.

Note to self: I must stop bitching about my non-functioning finger stopping me from climbing!
 TRNovice 31 Jan 2006
In reply to TRNovice:

Oh and Sharma saying how he wanted to get stronger was highly amusing - surely that would not be possible!
 TRNovice 31 Jan 2006
In reply to TRNovice:

Wow! Read the article and I agree with Mick!!! Must go and lie down in a darkened room and await the end of the world...
OP Michael Ryan 01 Feb 2006
In reply to Richard Bradley:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir) I think he is suggesting that we buy it. Shame no one seems to sell it...

I think you will find that they do.

Mick

dalai 01 Feb 2006
In reply to TRNovice:
the Rodden / Caldwell section was stand-out, the lack of pretension and sheer enthusiasm for what they were doing was a great antidote to some other climbing DVDs.

Sounds like Tommy alright. I had the good fortune of climbing in France with Tommy and then bouldering with him a couple months later at Hueco back in the late 90's. Really nice guy!!
mutiny666 01 Feb 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: i must agree it is a really good dvd sharma tackles a stupidly hard problem on there cald "witness the fitness" but theres is also some really good dws at the start
Pete W 01 Feb 2006

Nice article Mick & I totally identify with the ethos of the film and your own vision of the lost soul, man and mountain. Keep on doing good stuff Mick. Thanks. Pete
 Chris Fryer 01 Feb 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: Mick, are you going to give us some feedback on the new Simon Carter Book? I'm itching to hit the "buy" button.
TimS 01 Feb 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: Nice one Mick, I agree with your review apart from the DWS section - I thought this was pretty poor, especially compared to the two Psicobloc doseson the previous Dosage, which set a very high standard.

Stand out parts:
-Trying to guess what percent spider Dave Graham is now.
-Chris Sharma's 'Iron Cross' move at the start of King Lion, absolutely awesome.
 TRNovice 01 Feb 2006
In reply to TimS:

That's jump to an iron cross
In reply to TRNovice: Now all I need to know is what an iron cross is....German medal?
> I think you will find that they do.
>
> Mick

The important word there being will?
 Chris Fryer 01 Feb 2006
In reply to Richard Bradley: I though it was something you did in freestyle skiing.
 tobyfk 01 Feb 2006

Nice article, Mick. Good reading.
 TRNovice 01 Feb 2006
TimS 01 Feb 2006
In reply to Richard Bradley: The move about a quarter of the way into this video, feet off, full span.
http://www.bigupproductions.com/bigUpSite2/theOzarks.html

similar to this
http://www.uwec.edu/Library/archives/photographs/mcphee2a.jpg
OP Michael Ryan 01 Feb 2006
In reply to TimS:
> (In reply to Richard Bradley) The move about a quarter of the way into this video, feet off, full span.
> http://www.bigupproductions.com/bigUpSite2/theOzarks.html

Is that nice looking rock or what?

I think I'll get on my bike.
 Alun 01 Feb 2006

Given that I thought Dosage 1 was pretty rubbish (Lowell's commentary spoiling the film for me) and that, by contrast, Dosage 2 was one of the best climbing films I've seen, I wasn't sure what to expect from Volume 3.

Undoubtedly it starts (Thailand DWS - I'm looking into flights as we speak) and ends (I know we've seen a lot of Chris Sharma, but it is hard not to like the guy) very strong, but there were too many disappointing bits in the middle. The 'spiritual' bit is well-shot but Mick's review's initial paragraph about this section is spot on - I was fast forwarding on the first viewing.

There's no doubt that it's a good DVD but IMO I don't think it's as good as vol 2.

In reply to TimS: I will check it out tonight at home.
OP Michael Ryan 03 Feb 2006
In reply to Alun:
> (In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com)

> Undoubtedly it starts (Thailand DWS - I'm looking into flights as we speak)

Vietnam Alun, not Thailand.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...