UKC

Colorado ice/ alpine ice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
gwh 21 May 2002
I'm thinking of going to Colorado in October/November. Can anyone tell me what the ice conditions (if any) are likely to be like at that time of year? What are the high altitude routes like in Oct/Nov.
Arran Willis 21 May 2002
In reply to gwh:

should be ok, some places nold snow year round. bridal veil shold be in good form in nov so its only polite to go to the best ice climbing area. h/a routes that are worth doing are about 10,000ft ish but it does go to 14 on a few peaks. be prepared for long walkins to the best h/a routes, concider overnighting some of them but don't forget your permit or severe trouble will follow

arran
OP gwh 21 May 2002
In reply to Arran Willis: Thanks for the info. What altitude is Bridal Veil Falls at? What are the average temperatures in early November? Do you know what the summit temps are like at that time of year?

Thanks
Arran Willis 21 May 2002
In reply to gwh:

bridal is, if i remember correctly, certainly above 6000ft, so will need a 7 day acclimatisation period if you want to climb at your max. day time it can vary from 10c to -5c depending on the weather. the main problem there is with the air expanding in the ice and creating dinner plating nightmares so climb early in the morning after a good sub zero night. on the mountain routes during winter, especially up high, i found it getting down as low as -20c. the weather forecasts are something to look out for. the ones that are on tv and posted in the cafe's etc are for tourists so be sure to go to the rangers to get good mountain forecasts. you're almost certain to get a good spell of weather out there since it is generally very temperate due to it being so far inland and high (denver is 5000ft). of the several trips i've done there have been a few good lessons. the rangers will always talk things up (to stop the unprepared yankie with 5 year old kids) but do listen to them, they have the best info anywhere. another is flexibility. i found that don't set your heart and soul on a peak or route. its often the case that the road gets blocked and you can't get within a few days trek. do listen to the yanks on road conditions though, they talk in terms of their v8 5litre trucks so your compact hire car will suffer. get ahold of the lonely planet dook for the rocky mountain states (ISBN 0-86442-241-5) it covers colorado, wyoming (concider the tetons, sodding brilliant there) and montana. lonely plant is priceless for finding the cheap grub/hotel/pubs.

arran
OP pedantic medical student 26 May 2002
In reply to Arran Willis: can i just point out-you don't need to worry too much about acclimatising for 6000ft-respiration is only affected above 3000 metres (10,000 ft), which is when all the other problems kick in as well-blood alkilation etc. remember-climbing at 6000ft is only a 1000ft above ben nevis, and i don't recall any cases of pulmonary oedema in people topping out on the orion face
ken Yarcho 06 Jun 2002
In reply to gwh: Hi GWH,
You might contact these guyys for their area and others.
http://www.ourayicepark.com/
Good Luck
Ken
Arran Willis 07 Jun 2002
In reply to pedantic medical student:

hate to be the spoil sport but since when did the ben grow to 5000ft? its only 3000ft last i knew. the jump from sea level to 6000ft does make things physically harder so jumping into your normal grades ain't advised. add the enivitable jet lag and its a week for acclimatisation to bridal, if you want to do the really nasty stuff anyway. done it over a dozen times so trust me, there are probs when jumping to 6
pedantic Scotsman 07 Jun 2002
In reply to Arran Willis:
Looks as thought the Ben has been growing and shrinking since everyone has been up it last - do you think this is a seasonal event? Last time I went up Ben Nevis it was 4409ft (i.e. 1344m).
 sutty 07 Jun 2002
In reply to pedantic Scotsman:
Well it has grown 3 ft since all my maps and guides were printed if it is 4409, I have it at 4406 but did not want to be a pedant as everyone makes mistakes don't you pedantic Scotsman?
I wonder if it is the earth breathing in and expanding?
pedantic Scotsman 07 Jun 2002
In reply to (even more pedantic than I am) sutty:
Ok, I renounce my pendantiscm and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.....we are talking 3 ft, which is a bit closer than being out by a few thousand feet!...........By the way, are you sure that you've got the most up to date map....haaarr!!!
 sutty 07 Jun 2002
In reply to pedantic Scotsman:
Don't talk silly, why would I need a new map, the hills don't move much, only new roads and reservoirs.
I got mine off a bloke called Naismith, I think it was about the latest edition then.
I only replied to you because I knew Aran was a few hundred feet out but put it down to one too many scotches or beers that night. I nearly emailed him but thought when he got up in the morning he would realise his mistake.
By the way, what is this word?

pendantiscm
pedantic Scotsman.....no more 07 Jun 2002
In reply to sutty:
Ok,ok,ok....I give up. I knew it was a mistake in trying to be pedantic. There's always someone out there that's even more pedantic than me!
Arran Willis 08 Jun 2002
In reply to sutty:

good god, i had had a few, thanks sutty for being so liberal in accepting my drink induced error. i make it 4406ft on my map, but i will add that it has a few coffe stains and holes in the folds. its good for another decade. it seems that most mornings i get up and think 'what have i done now?'. i really ought to stop doing silly things and take a leaf from sutty's book (if that is a good idea). oh well, no point talking whilst valuable opening hours are being lost
 sutty 08 Jun 2002
In reply to Arran Willis:
We all slip up from time to time, that is why the birthrate in britain is so high amongst the unmarried.
I cocked up the other week thinking I had done (or tried to) Vulcan but now I think it might have been Valerian.
A shitty route anyway, especially as I had to escape at the top.
Does anyone have a guide to Cenotaph corner, just in case I get lost on it sometime

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...