UKC

Welsh International Climbing Centre in Administration

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
We have received a fairly reliable report that the Welsh International Climbing Centre has gone into administration. There is no mention of anything on their web site - http://www.indoorclimbingwalls.co.uk/

Can anyone offer anymore information on this?

Alan
UKC
WICC 29 Mar 2006
In reply to Alan James - UKC: hi im a climber and a member of staff at the wicc and there is no mention of us closing down, so as far as im concerned keep climbing at wicc as normal.
Chocolate Mousse 29 Mar 2006
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

Yup, everything seemed fine when I was up there on Monday.
There is now a new bouldering facility so things seem to be on the up.
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Phone them and ask. Administration involves the court and is a matter of public record. Just ask.
 tony 29 Mar 2006
In reply to WICC:

It's perfectly possible for a business to be placed in administration but to carry on trading - in fact, I think it's normal. Even if you're a member of staff or regular user, you might not know anything about it.
dinkypen 29 Mar 2006
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

I believe the centre is owned by the Taff Bargoed Development Trust and is not a private company. It is community owned and led. I cannot how see how it could go into administration
 Ian W 30 Mar 2006
In reply to tony:

being in adminstration means you have a new boss. You are now being run for the benefit of whoever appointed the adminstrator (usually bank). If you are an employee, you will be aware of being in administration, because you will have received a notification of this from the administrator.
Merthyr1 31 Mar 2006
 Marcus B 31 Mar 2006
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Not much of a surprise really i dont think. They have possibly the worst route setter ever IMO , which is a shame because it has potential to be awesome.
Didnt a new wall open in swansea recently? That has to have quite an affect on WICC i would imagine.
 DaveR 31 Mar 2006
In reply to Marcus Brewer:

I agree, the route setting is bad, but I think that is mainly because they only has one, which is just silly for a place that big!
In reply to Marcus Brewer:

I don't think the problem is the route setting. If you read that article, then the debts are old and currently the place is making a profit.

Alan
sloper 01 Apr 2006
In reply to Alan James - UKC: The administration is the best way forward, sell the thing as a going concern and the new Co operates without the bad / old debts of the former Co
 Mark Morris 01 Apr 2006
In reply to Alan James - UKC:" "We now have consultants putting together a long-term regeneration strategy," he said."

That will be the end of it!

less flippantly, I've been a member since it opened, only 15 mins from where I work. It was very badly managed when it opened and I guess the debts are from then. It was very badly advertised for use by local schools and couldn't (wouldn't?) even offer decent rates for school groups on summer mornings.

Always seems full when I go there now. Hope it gets sorted
Al4 02 Apr 2006
Yes there is a new center in Swansea, its called Dynamic Rock, http://www.dynamicrock.co.uk/

It's a pretty good climbing center, very friendly, new look to it and chilled out. It has a main climbing wall and a bouldering wall.
 deadlydes 03 Apr 2006
I have been a member for about 5 years now.
the center is very good on the whole but there are a few niggling points that need attention.
-alot of the time routes are not reset often enough.
-some of the staff are often very rude and just generally nasty
-the new bouldering room they have is EXCELLENT, apart from the matting is an absolute farce i.e. there are gaps in it, has old crap carpet on it, its loose etc.

with a bit of propper organisation this place could be excelent. i hope they get it sorted
MattEdd 03 Apr 2006

> -alot of the time routes are not reset often enough.
> -some of the staff are often very rude and just generally nasty

these were problems right from the start, I was a regular there up until I went to university and I swear there are still some routes from 3 years ago still on the walls.

> -the new bouldering room they have is EXCELLENT, apart from the matting is an absolute farce i.e. there are gaps in it, has old crap carpet on it, its loose etc.

The old bouldering room had the same problem, it always seemed that the actual design of the structure and its position, with the corridor to the gym running around it was a major problem.

Really hope they get it all sorted as it's only 15 minutes drive from my house.
discosteve 04 Apr 2006
In reply to Marcus Brewer: theres nothing wrong with the routes, maybe your not good enough to climb them,???????.

i find them more challenging than before. which is a good thing cos it gets you stronger, so quit moning and get stronger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
In reply to Alan James - UKC: I would suspect there there is a potential problem with large 'international' or 'national' climbing centres. Any normal climbing wall will budget for the majority of its clientel to be local to the wall. These larger operations must be budgeting for a fair proportion of out of area clients who probably never materialise.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...