UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Morroco's Jebel Toubkal by Robin Eveleigh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 31 Mar 2006
"Suddenly, the hut door burst open and one of the party staggered in. Blood dripped from his mouth and a golf-ball size lump throbbed on his chin. His pals gasped as he told them more of their friends were still behind him. One had fallen and was injured. He assured them their mate was going to make it back down, but it wasn’t enough for some, and they grabbed hats and coats, setting out into the night to see for themselves."

Describes Robin Eveleigh in his account of a winter ascent of Morroco's Jebel Toubkal.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=193
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: Good feature Robin
RobE 04 Apr 2006
In reply to dan bailey:

Cheers Dan.
 BrianT 04 Apr 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: Imlil looks to have been developed a bit since I was there. Nice piece. I got dysentery in Imlil and ended up shrinking to 9 stone in a week and a half. Ah, memories!
RobE 04 Apr 2006
In reply to BrianT:

And Cheers BT.
 BrianT 04 Apr 2006
In reply to RobE: You're welcome. What were the temperatures like. I was there in July and August so it was a tad warm! I suspected there would be good snow and ice in winter though.
RobE 04 Apr 2006
In reply to BrianT:

We were there in November, it was scorchio during the day in Marrakech, cool at night and baltic up in the mountains. Imlil was just fresh, nice and warm in the sun, but I think the weather was turning for the worse as we were leaving as snow was falling at lower levels.
 BrianT 04 Apr 2006
In reply to RobE: Up by the Neltner Hut, we got snow even in August! And drizzle. Lovely. I miss drizzle when i spend time in hot sunny countries. Endless sunshine can get so tiring.
dinkypen 04 Apr 2006
In reply to RobE:
> (In reply to BrianT)
>
> We were there in November, it was scorchio during the day in Marrakech, cool at night and baltic up in the mountains. Imlil was just fresh, nice and warm in the sun, but I think the weather was turning for the worse as we were leaving as snow was falling at lower levels.

We were there over Christmas and there was a decent amount of snow up at the refuge. Conditions deteriorated while we were up there so we were prevented from going for the summit. We were also unguided.

Nice article - brought back memories!
 BruceG 04 Apr 2006
In reply to RobE:

Two of us did Toubkal last June in much warmer conditions - I got sunburn on the tops of my ears during that slog from the refuge down to Imlil. I would like to go back to the High Atlas in winter conditions, even more so now that I've read your article. Cheers, Bruce.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...