UKC

Bantham hand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anonymous 31 Mar 2006
hi just wandering if anybody knew about a route called the Bantham hand (vs 4b). it is in the south devon and dartmoor guide book. there is a picture at the front of the book with some guy jumping of it in his speedos. just wandering if any one had climbed it or knew about it and had any helpful information about access or the route. went the other day to check it out but it was high tide and so couldnt get to it.
 phil webber 31 Mar 2006
In reply to Anonymous:

Seen it many a time when surfing or swimming at bantham, but never been up close to it. The notes in the guide suggest abseil or jump from the top, and obviously the pic is a solo ascent. If you do solo make sure you check depths of water, tides and rocks! Approach is tidal as well, so dont get your timing wrong or you could be stuck for a good few hours!! I imagine its pretty estoric, so expect choss and bird shit aplenty...
 Fiend 31 Mar 2006
In reply to Anonymous:

I think the comment I wrote in my logbook was something like "The biggest pile of birdshit-bonded rubble I've had the misfortunate to climb - and great fun at that!"

Errrmmm yes. It is choss but it is a fun little adventure. If you don't do the jump (none of us did, and that includes Dr "Mad" Max Dutson(?) who once spent the night stranded whilst soloing on Carn Gowla(!!)), then you have to downclimb the HS 4a on the same face, which isn't too difficult IIRC.
 NickJH 01 Apr 2006
In reply to Anonymous:
Did this years ago after a spot of kayak surfing at Bantham beach. At lowish tide it is possible to scramble across in a pair of tevas. Route is as described by fiend - esoteric little gem. Be aware though that the tide can come in pretty quickly making your initial saunter across more of a wade/swim.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...