UKC

Is every camping spot in Peaks booked up?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
NorthernerDownSouth 27 Apr 2006
blimey

tried most of the sites round Edale & Hope plus North Lees etc and either closed or fully booked - noooo....

anyone know of any less well known places? Or failing that sneaky places to wildcamp?

my other option would be to try turning up early sat morning at one of the campsites ound Baslow/Calver n try to grab a pitch

help?! this is craziness!
 Caralynh 27 Apr 2006
In reply to NorthernerDownSouth:

Probably - I booked about 2 months ago for North Lees, it's crazy (learnt lesson from last year)

What I did last year was spend about 2hrs driving round trying to find a spare place, and got lucky when someone was leaving Coopers in Edale early.

There's always the Robin Hood's Cave option for bivvying, although that will probably be full too!

I suppose you could always knock on a random farmhouse door and see if you can pitch in the corner of a field? Not sure if it's done these days, but when I was little my parents used to do this!
rich 27 Apr 2006
In reply to NorthernerDownSouth: have you tried the 'cement works' one up from Hope - that's usually the last to fill up - i'm not even sure you can book it (?)
 maybe_si 27 Apr 2006
i was planning on bivvying in thecave with my buddy, can we shotgun that please!! im sure shotgun rules are how that works arnt they!!
 Simon Caldwell 27 Apr 2006
In reply to rich:
> have you tried the 'cement works' one up from Hope

Pindale Farm
01433 620111

that's where we usually end up. I think you can book, but I never have.
 sam@work 27 Apr 2006
In reply to NorthernerDownSouth: a long time ago i stayed at a site near youlgreeve (sp?) sorry don't have any details but there was a camping barn there so try a search for camping barns on tinterweb .
hope this helps ??
 Michael Ryan 27 Apr 2006

PEAKS!!!!!!!!!!!! OMGawd.
 Big Steve 27 Apr 2006
In reply to Caralynr: I boooked for last saturday night last wednesday. The woman at the camp site said they d put the full sign up as it had rained so much that they wanted to let the grass recover. That may be the reason your having trouble getting booked elsewhere?
 Big Steve 27 Apr 2006
In reply to Big Steve: that didnt make much sense. I meant I booked wednesday last week for two spaces for saturday just gone
 asutton709 27 Apr 2006
You could just turn up at the campsite below birchden edge - eric jones memorial one.
The lady seemed quite surprised when I tried to book this time last may bank holiday. Just turn up should be no problem with camping, and gardoms will be a great spot if this weather holds.

Note: best way to the campsite is park next to the robin hood pub then walk down the road passed said pub until you see the obvious turning on the right hand side.
 Chris Davids 27 Apr 2006
> (In reply to NorthernerDownSouth)

Barn Farm in Birchover by any chance? Chances are they'll have space. Try 01629650245.
 Caralynh 27 Apr 2006
In reply to Big Steve:

Made sense Steve, (I only booked Thurs morning!) but they've been booked for the bank hols for a few weeks now. Other than bank hols, amount of tents allowed depends on conditions, you're right, and you can be lucky.
 big john 28 Apr 2006
In reply to NorthernerDownSouth: small campsite just below hen cloud should be free. turned up there yesterday at 8pm ands was no one else there.
 54ms 28 Apr 2006

Eric Byne? I don't even think they do bookings it is so basic.

I can't normally be arsed and just sleep in the car in the Birchin carpark.
 Fidget 28 Apr 2006

Try the farm at Monyash.
 Fidget 28 Apr 2006

Actually scratch that, their website says they're booked up too!
Chris Tan 28 Apr 2006

Try Wardlow on the Manchester-Chesterfield road, very basic and cheap £1.50 per night. Pub 3 stags ( very good real beer) just 1 minutes stagger away, Kate's Kitchen just across the road. Nearest crag Ravenstones.
Snorkers McPorkers 28 Apr 2006
In reply to Big Steve:

Have I missed some bad news? Eric Jones looked very much alive and kicking the last time I saw him at the cafe. Rumours of his death etc. etc.

Wasn't he the guy that wrote 'High Peaks' <sniggers>

Caralynh 28 Apr 2006

North Lees should have a space since one of our group has cancelled. May be worth trying?
 doz generale 28 Apr 2006

ive turned up at north lees a few times when they have been all booked and they have always had cancelations or they have just let me camp there
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Apr 2006
In reply to Snorkers McPorkers:

Nah - he soloed the north face of the Mattelock didn't he?

Chris
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Apr 2006
In reply to Chris Tan:

Get away - the Ravenstones is two days walk away from Wardlow!

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...