UKC

Network problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Geoffrey Michaels 05 Jun 2006
We have a wireless network with about 6 PCs connected using a wireless router. The router is set to WPA-PSK security and 4 of the PCs connect fine with the PSK.

The other 2 PCs keep saying "acquiring network address" but do nothing. I have noticed that these PCs are using WEP security but I can't change it to WPA.

Any thoughts?
mik 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Donald M:
maybe the cards in those 2 maschines cant do WPA.
check if there is a new driver for the cards.
In reply to mik:

They worked fine on Friday.
Profanisaurus Rex 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Donald M:

Have those machines been rebooted over the weekend? Drivers sometimes get corrupted when rebooting. Try reinstalling the network card drivers, it may help.
Ian Straton 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Donald M: WPA only got supported in windows XP after service pack 2. Check that service pack 2 is installed if not, install it, or switch to using wep on your router.
mik 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Donald M:

if it have worked with these settings im guessing its the usual problem with Computers changing things all on its own.
Ian Straton 05 Jun 2006
In reply to mik: he doesn't say that the 2 pcs ever worked with WPA, I am putting my money on those machines not having SP2 installed.
mik 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:

you must know how often computers change stuff on their own. like putting power on pw on etc

but true he doesnt say if it worked with these settings, that was just me assuming things as it was the only way the answer about it working friday would mean anything usefull.
KevinD 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Donald M:

> The other 2 PCs keep saying "acquiring network address" but do nothing. I have noticed that these PCs are using WEP security but I can't change it to WPA.

The WEP will be the thing stopping them connecting - and as far as i remember it does just say "acquiring network address" as opposed to telling you to sod off without the correct id.

> Any thoughts?

If the machines were working on Friday, it does become a pain. Only thing can suggest is you check that no updates/system restores have been done to remove the WPA encryption.

try deleting the connection and adding it back in (after checking it is SP2).
Incidently technically you dont need SP2 for WPA, there is a separate download available.
Ian Straton 05 Jun 2006
In reply to mik: to be honest I didn't see that reply on my first look!

Whilst one PC might randomly change a system setting it would be extremily unusual for 2 pcs on such a small network to randomly change exactly the same setting at the same time, so I reckon either on friday the router was using wep and someone has changed it or someone has uninstalled the wpa update on those 2 machines. It would be helpful if the OP could tell us if those machines are definatly running SP2.
In reply to Ian Straton:

They ARE running SP2. Older machines work. THe crux seems to be that the 2 PCs don't give you the option of using PSK as the security. Interestingly they won't let me delete the connection either.
mik 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Donald M:

but did they work with this setting before or not?
have they run WPA?
Ian Straton 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Donald M: is the wireless zero configuration service running?
In reply to Ian Straton:

How do I check?
Ian Straton 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Donald M: right click on the "my computer" icon, select "manage" theat will open a management console. Double click on "services & applications" then double click on "services"... scroll down, if it says the service is started, restart it (right click and restart), see if anything changes.

I don't have a wireless network here so can't offer much more help until this evening when I can break my home network for you!
 rossowen 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Donald M:

Hi

If they are saying 'Aquiring network address' then they are trying to get an IP address from the router. If it is taking too long, then the router will not pass out the right address. If this is the case, then the pcs will not be able to commuincate with the network since they all need a valid IP address. Check on one of the other pcs what the address is and it will probably be something like:

192.168.0.1 or 192.168.16.1 or something similar.

If you are getting the same problem after a while, set the IP address on the two computers manually by right clicking My Network Places, click properties, then do the same for the network connection in the window that pops up. Once this is done, double clikc on TCP/IP Internet Protocol and say 'use the following ip address' and type in an address in the same range, ie 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.16.2. The range can only go up to 255 though, so you can pick any last digit you like, as long as it is not used by another computer on the network, is not 0 and is not over 255.

In the subnet mask type 255.255.255.0

In the default gateway, type the first address in the range, eg 192.168.16.1 or 192.168.0.1, or 192.168.10.1

Hope this helps

All hail the uber guru,

Ross

If it doesn't work, give me a shout on rsowen@gmail.com
Ian Straton 05 Jun 2006
In reply to rossowen: except that it is not failing to getting an address it is unable to decrypt the address it is being sent, different problem. When unable to decrypt WPA windows will sit and try to aquire an address forever, when it actually cannot get a address it tells you that the it has limited or no connection and assigns a 168.x.x.x address, which is not happening in this case.
 rossowen 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:

Hmm, the encryption would be down to the WPA / WEP standards though which have not been changed since they were last working on friday...

Also, if the IP is not assigned and windows goes to the APIPA address 169.254.x.x then this won't work either.

R
Ian Straton 05 Jun 2006
In reply to rossowen:
> (In reply to Ian Straton)
>

> Also, if the IP is not assigned and windows goes to the APIPA address 169.254.x.x then this won't work either.
>
> R

sorry, I don't think this sentance means anything, what won't work either?

If windows can comunicate with the router but fails to recieve a DHCP address it would give an error message and assign a 169 address, it's not doing this so I conclude that giving it a fixed IP won't help. In the OP Donald tells us that the 2 problem pcs do not have the option to enter a wpa-psk key, only a wep key. Given that the router is broadcasting wpa-psk it is sensible to assume that the failure to connect is entirly due to an inability to decrypt the signal, not an inability to recieve a dhcp address. The question is why the option to use wpa-psk has "disappeared" since friday?
 rossowen 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:

Ah I see. I did not realise that the option for WPA had disappeared, only that it was not available in the first place and that it had been working on WEP up until Friday.

Is this the case Donald? Have you ever had an option for WPA on the two machines that don't work at them moment, or has it always been just WEP?

What I mean't by the APIPA sentance was that if Windows did not receive an IP address in the first place, it does not inform you that it will use a 169.254.x.x address, it just automatically does this. The point was that this won't work anyway, since 192.168.x.x is not on the same class/range as the 169.254.x.x address and therefore would be able to connect to the wifi network, but not talk to anything else on the network apart from anything else with an APIPA address.

R
In reply to rossowen:

To be honest I'm not sure. The Linksys router just reset itself on Friday and I put it back to WPA-PSK.

The trouble is if I set the router to WEP the computers that are currently working can't connect.

I think I'll go and buy a new router.
Ian Straton 05 Jun 2006
In reply to rossowen:
> (In reply to Ian Straton)
>
> What I mean't by the APIPA sentance was that if Windows did not receive an IP address in the first place, it does not inform you that it will use a 169.254.x.x address, it just automatically does this. The point was that this won't work anyway, since 192.168.x.x is not on the same class/range as the 169.254.x.x address and therefore would be able to connect to the wifi network, but not talk to anything else on the network apart from anything else with an APIPA address.
>
> R

The only times I have seen a 169 address used (when wireless networking) windows has always popped up a notification bubble warning that the connection has limited or no connectivity. Even if it failed to do that it would not show a status of "aquiring address" (which is what Donald has told us is happening) it would show the connected wireless network icon in the system tray (although it would not in fact work, as you rightly point out).
Hotbad Peteel 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Donald M:

set the computers that are set to wpa-psk to use wep instead.
p
Ian Straton 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Donald M: don't buy a new router yet!

Lets for arguements sake say that on friday the router was set to WEP.... All 6 pcs connect happily because they all can use WEP. Router goes wonky, you are forced to reset all the networking settings, at this point you (very sensibly!) select WPA-psk, which 2 of the machines cannot understand.

Now here's where it gets tricky, setting the router back to wep will confuse the other 4 machines! What you need to do at this point is start the router up in WEP mode, then on each of the 4 machines launch the wireless networks list, you should see your network name listed, if it shows as connected then click on the disconnect button, then click on connect, you should then be prompted for the WEP key. this needs to be done manually, Windows will automatically try to connect to a preferred network using whatever network key was last entered, in this case the WPA-psk key you set after the router fouled up.

In any case the problem with the odd 2 PCs is not the routers fault, buying a new one won't help you. You need to resolve the issue on the PCs 9either fixing WPA on the 2 or reconfiguring the network connection to WEP on the other 4.
 rossowen 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Donald M:

Hi Ian - you are quite right - limited or no connectivity - not sure why I forgot that, must be monday!!

Don - I wouldn't purchase a new router just yet. I think that if you do, you will probably come up against the same problem. What you could do is disable all the encryption and check to see if it works on all six - my money is on it to work - and then reapply the encryption and see if it is still working.

The other way of doing it is just by setting a mac address filter. Run a 'getmac' command at the command prompt on each pc and fill in the blanks on the router with these to stop non-authenticated machines from connecting. This is, of course, unless you think you have a particularly handy hacker next door with plenty of time on their hands.

Or you could just use WEP which works on all 6 pcs.

Just remember to run a 'Save All' command on the router once done, or you could lose your settings again if it gets switched off.

R
In reply to rossowen:

Sorry this is MAD!

All 6 work on usecured
4 Work on WPA-PSK
2 work on WEP
mik 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Donald M
i try again.

NOT ALL CARDS SUPPORT ALL ENCRYPTION METHODS
In reply to mik:

Well this system worked last week! At least 4 support WPA and WEP.

I think the router should go out the window.
mik 05 Jun 2006
In reply to Donald M:

sorry then i misunderstood you earlier.
would seems weird if its the router though as it has nothing to do with you not not beeing able to select WPA on the card.
try remove the drivers and reinstall and setup the connection on computer again.
In reply to mik:

Right, using unsecured I have update the drivers on the cards of the 2 troublesome PC's

they now support WPA-PSK

Once mu long suffering colleagues go home I'll put them all to WPA-PSK

And then the networked printer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...