UKC

helmets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 11 Jun 2006
ok, i dont want a discussion. just a simple 'yes', 'no' or 'sometimes'.

rem
 Luke01 11 Jun 2006
In reply to remtherockclimber: Why?
OP remus Global Crag Moderator 11 Jun 2006
In reply to remtherockclimber:
so i can get an idea of how many people actually wear a helmet and how many don't.

rem
Imperium 11 Jun 2006

Yes on trad.

No on sport.
brothersoulshine 11 Jun 2006

I've just started wearing one on my bicycle.
 Luke01 11 Jun 2006
In reply to remtherockclimber: Sometimes
 Caralynh 11 Jun 2006

Usually
 chris j 11 Jun 2006
In reply to remtherockclimber: Sometimes, depends on route and environment.
 Dave Stelmach 11 Jun 2006
In reply to remtherockclimber: Always; I work in an X-ray department.

Yes. Too many near-misses.
 Marc C 11 Jun 2006
In reply to remtherockclimber: sometimes (rarely)
 Ed Booth 11 Jun 2006
In reply to remtherockclimber: Hi rem, ;0) I always where a helmet . . . apart from the occasions when i don't! I will be wearing one tomorrow at Gogarth and this summer in the Pass! Helmets should always be worn! Climbing is inherently dangerous and should therefore have all possible dangers minimised! A helmet is a pretty major variable in this in which it dramatically changes possible outcomes. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Paul Pritchard was wearing a helmet on Totem Pole when he had his accident, the situation and outcome may have been very different and i think they are extremely important. They are the difference between a headache and death! ED
 Marc C 11 Jun 2006
In reply to boothy: <yes, no, sometimes> so that's a 'yes'!

PS IMO Helmets shouldn't 'always' be worn
 Ed Booth 11 Jun 2006
In reply to Marc C: Yes. I don't mean all the time as that woul;d just be impractical but most of the time, yes. ED
 Fiend 11 Jun 2006

I wear my helmet fairly often.

I've started using lube these days.
 IOAN D 11 Jun 2006
In reply to remtherockclimber: no never, gets in the way i feel.
 Mike Peacock 11 Jun 2006
In reply to boothy: I think he wasn't and I may be mistaken (I read the book a fair few years ago!) but I thought they said his injuries would have been worse if he *had* been wearing a helmet due to spinal damage. May be wrong though.
 andymoin 11 Jun 2006
In reply to Touching Centauri: I wear one in winter, on multi pitch, on loses crags and when climbing at my limit.
 Lbos 11 Jun 2006

Always. Being too concussed to walk for a whole week made me think a lot more about head injuries.

I wear it seconding single pitch and short solos. But draw the line at bouldering.
jon_nz 11 Jun 2006
In reply to Lbos:
mostly-even soloing. Sometimes not seconding easy grit, but it feels slightly naked.
 CarolineMc 11 Jun 2006
In reply to remtherockclimber: yes, no question. C-:
Richard ff 11 Jun 2006

yeah i recommend it when soloing as if the worst should happen it could say stop you getting scarred for life on your face; and then you wont have to spend so much time in hospital having head scans and the like............. ot just dont solo but over all yeah Helmets are Ace cos they saved me a few times now
 Padraig 11 Jun 2006
Climbing - sometimes (Always Ice)
Cycling - Road sometimes - MTB - Sometimes.. Glentrees/Ae/Mabie - always.

IbexJim 12 Jun 2006
Always (but not in bed). Far too many deaths, far too many idiots kicking stones off, and anyway, my hair's a mess!
 Obi Wan 12 Jun 2006

yes - always, apart from bouldering
 Ian Patterson 12 Jun 2006
In reply to Obi Wan:

Climbing - very rarely / no
Mountain biking - yes
 Obi Wan 12 Jun 2006

Oh and caving - everytime!!
 JohnHutch 12 Jun 2006
In reply to remtherockclimber: Always for leading, not so much for seconding single pitch. Very good for avoiding sunburnt bald patch.
Interesting what a high percentage here seem to climb in one. Seems to be a much lower percentage overall out on the crags.
 My Gravity 12 Jun 2006

Always. It's saved me from alot of loose rock over the years and a couple of falls.

Andy
 GrahamD 12 Jun 2006
> ok, i dont want a discussion. just a simple 'yes', 'no' or 'sometimes'.

Why do you need to know ? at the end of the day its your choice and not (hopefully) a fashion decision.
 Simon Caldwell 12 Jun 2006
Yes.

Though asking on here won't give you much of an idea, you're better off going to the crag and counting.
 Jenn 12 Jun 2006

It's deja vu all over again

Yes.
 SecretSquirrel 12 Jun 2006
Sometimes - on other crags, if its hot, if i'm climbing really easy stuff

Yes - always on multi-pitch or crags where there is a lot of loose stuff.

On a bold route towards the end of last summer I wished half way up that I was wearing a helmet and I've found since then that when i am climbing challenging/bold routes that a helmet is quite comforting and I worry less about the consequences of falling.

Have worn one more this summer as I've had a mate's spare one after it got left in my bag last time we climbed and i'll be purchasing a shiny new one of my own this month.
 broc 12 Jun 2006

Read the latest edition of 'Summit'.
Yes.
 davidwright 12 Jun 2006

Yes, except top roping on southern sandstone (no loose rock on top no danger of inversion) and indoor walls (ditto if you keep the rope away from your legs).
 abarro81 12 Jun 2006
In reply to remtherockclimber: sometimes (yes- multipitch, most hard single pitch; no- most easier singlepitch, some harder stuff if it's hot or at my limit with no chance of a swing eg. hard solo)
Sharket 12 Jun 2006

sport - no

trad - yes

swanage chossy stuff - most definitely
 Tamlyn 12 Jun 2006
yes, always. Better than smashed skull.
 DougG 12 Jun 2006
In reply to brothersoulshine:

> I've just started wearing one on my bicycle.

Wife has nagged me into doing the same. Bloody hate them but it does make sense.

Offwidth 12 Jun 2006

Sometimes (the only resonable answer). In my case, for the majority of my climbing.

I'm impressed most are answering this straight. I've known one rabid "I'll never wear a helmet" climber who was a long standing Darwin Award candidate (but still going!) and equally idiotic "I always where one even in bed" 'climbers' who clearly deny the risk in climbing thinking they can plan it all out.
 Simon Caldwell 12 Jun 2006
In reply to Offwidth:
Always and Never are also both reasonable answers, depending on the types of climbing people do, or the amount of metalwork holding their heads together
 Offwidth 12 Jun 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Nope, but so far always and never yet might be
 David Bowler 12 Jun 2006
In reply to remtherockclimber: Yes
 King Rat 12 Jun 2006

Yes .........Sometimes.......well about 90% of the time.
 link 12 Jun 2006

Mostly, only no if i forget or its a small boulder problem.
 BenTiffin 12 Jun 2006
In reply to remtherockclimber: Since I've taken on more responsibilities (wife, iminent child, etc.), always yes unless bouldering or indoors.

I only have one head and I would like it to stay in one piece until I go to the grave in my 70's preferably.

Ben
In reply to remtherockclimber: Sometimes. Usually yes on multipitch or areas that are known for loose rock (quarries, sea cliffs, mountains).
 Simon Caldwell 13 Jun 2006
In reply to BenTiffin:
> in my 70's preferably

Somehow I knew before I looked at your profile that you're currently in your 20s!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...