UKC

how many vs and hvs climbs should you lead before attempting E1

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 david wands 19 Jul 2006
how many have people done?
 IOAN D 19 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands: just enough to make you feel confortable leading HVS with a high technicall grade, also being able to pick the right first E1 for you i.e plenty of gear and the climbing suted to ur liking.

good luck
 Philip 19 Jul 2006
None. I did my first VS as the next lead after my first E1. Then went almost a year before doing an HVS (after my first E2).
Snowplod 19 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands:

If you like the look of a climb then climb it. If not don't. Don't get bogged down with the grade thing, one of the first VS I climbed was when I was only just comfortable at Severe. I liked the look of it, felt confident and went for it.
 Greenbanks 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Snowplod:

Agree with that. Getting a guide-book grade in your head can really be a negative thing, limiting adventure etc
 Al Evans 19 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands: Well I did about 4 Vs's on Grit, 1 on limestone and then Brant Direct (in those days mild extreme). next day I did Cenotaph Corner.
Just go for it if its a safe route and you are feeling good.
 camw 19 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands: As long as you are prepared to take some falls it can be really rewarding to headpoint a route a couple of grades harder than your onsight grade. Choose a well protected route that really inspires you; ignore the grade; find a patient belayer and spend a weekend on it. There is nothing better than topping out on a route you never thought possible. Headpointing is a great way to improve your onsight grade aswell.
 Ed Booth 19 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands: 42 however i have know cases whereeople have done only 38. ED
 rock waif 19 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands: I had led a few VS and HS before leading E1. I never led HVS, people reckoned it was not really worth it and I had seconded some E1s and knew I could lead them. They were climbs which suited me and I enjoyed, so the "ooh it's a scary E number" factor was lessened. My first E1 used to be an E2. The guide book said it was not a good first E1, so not a soft E1 apparently.

I am not a particularly good climber at all, so it's just finding something that suits you to climb.

I don't know if many people skip E1 in working their way through the grades (ie VS to E2), some people must have.
 Ed Booth 19 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands: Just make sure you feel comfortable and rthen choose a good route before going for it - chances are you won't die so just give it a whirl and it should go fine. Good Luck!
 DrGav 19 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands:

I was just starting to wonder the same thing myself, having led 20ish HVSs, and still not feeling quite ready. Then i suddenly switched crags and realised the meaning of bomber gear. I did a E1 on that day!
 Dr Fran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands:
It's about the route not the grade! If you are comfortable climbing on lead and confident in your gear placements then find a good inspirational line on a crag with good gear and go for it!
Some of the scariest routes I have done have been VS/HVS, while my few E1's have just been fantastic!
 wiwwim 20 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands: take a torch!
 Smitz 20 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands: I onsighted three HVS's before I attempted my first E1.

I think it's superfluous to mention, in the context of your question, that I failed to get off the ground on the E1.
 Enty 20 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands:
None, just do 3 pebble slab as your first climb ever!

The Ent
 FedUp 20 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands:
Would it not be more rewarding to simply go and find out for yourself rather than asking people on this forum? Subject yourself to a bit of uncertainty and adventure!
Surely trying stuff and failing at whaver grade is infinately more preferable to asking daft questions on UKC?
IbexJim 20 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands:
Quite encouraging replies so far - I did 7 VS's over a few weeks then led the Corner - which has bomber gear all the way, and so I was quite chuffed (!), so yeah - choose the right route and go for it.
 Swig 20 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands:

First VS was my 8th lead.
First HVS was my 45th (Had done 14 VSs).
First E1 was 111th* (35 VSs, 7 HVSs).

*If I'd have been aware of the this number I'd have had to do it standing on one leg.

critic 20 Jul 2006
In reply to rock waif:

Why would you want to skip grades?
Its not all about grades,you should be climbing the best routes/lines regardless of grade,sometimes you turn up at a venue and a vs leaps out at you,likewise anyother quality route.

So folks,stop ticking,put away your pens and enjoy your sport

Craig
 rock waif 20 Jul 2006
In reply to critic:

It's not that I wanted to "skip grades", it's just that the route I wanted to lead was an E1, so I led it. It was a great route irrespective of grade. I was asking as I think it's interesting. There can be a presumption that someone needs to work up through the grades, when a lot of people don't for the reasons you mentioned!
 Andy S 21 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands: Twenty.
Yorkspud 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Andy S:
> (In reply to david wands) Twenty.

Rubbish...21
 Andy S 22 Jul 2006
In reply to Yorkspud: No you're wrong. It's definitely 20. Common sense I would have thought!
 whispering nic 22 Jul 2006
In reply to Andy S:
three
 184Dave 26 Jul 2006
In reply to critic: Good calllike your thinking
Cheers Dave B
 andy_b135 26 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands:
I lead VS starting to do HVS and succeeded to onsight elegy E2 couple of days a go and lead an E4, they were slabs though. But I fell off a HVS, sauls crack at the roaches the week before, depends what type of climbing it is. I just can't climb roofs. Anybody got any advice.
 Mick Ward 26 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands:

In the 1960s, a guy called Clem Mac Cartney spent years doing lots of (even then) average grade stuff in Ireland, i.e. sub VS. (VS was then a respected grade, especially in Ireland.) Then he did a VS, then another... a bit later Overlapping Wall (E1) on the Wasted. For his 14th route of VS and above, he did Spillikin Ridge (call it E2 with a bit of aid, back then). In the context of the times, a big leap. Less that a year later, he failed on Black & Tans at the Roaches. What is it, V Diff, Hard Severe?? No disrespect to Clem, he'd almost given up climbing, was pouring energy into making this world a better place. A good man.

Moral of the story? You can skip grades, yes, but, chances are, you'll very easily fall back down the ladder. Clem reckoned that his 'grade burst' came after a lot of consolidation at 'average grades'. [Imho, he only fell down the grade ladder 'cos of a change of lifestyle.] Same with Mark Stevenson, 50 E2s, Fair Head off-widths to scary grit slabs, then up to E4.

You may climb, E4, E5, E6... But, if you end up on a scary sea-cliff and have to do a nasty E2 pitch, with seepage and the crucial peg missing, you may be glad you consolidated.

Just a few thoughts...

Mick

vankampen 26 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands:
an e1 was my second ever lead but now its only hvs...But then flying butress is a walk if you've done any climbing indoors, if you have been brought up on slabs it might be a bit more intimidating - I was much more scared on a vs slab later in the day
 asutton709 26 Jul 2006
I agree with the first person who replied. I reckon you should be pretty solid at HVS and then select your E1's based on what style you prefer.
I can't agree with headpointing a trad route at this grade, although some people would disagree, surely it is the essence of trad climbing to not know what goes where.
I have had the most satisfaction to date on the two summers where I became 'solid at the grade', ticking all the major lines regardless of style - sure some were scenes of major battles but all went on sight - something I may not have achieved if I had rushed through the grades.
In reply to david wands:

It doesn't matter. If you see a route you fancy, within reason, then try it.

jcm
 Mikey_07 26 Jul 2006
In reply to david wands:

F*ck the quantity of them...just get to the stage where they're in your comfirt zone...then move on up a grade.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...