UKC

NEWS: Kalymnos Airport Officially Open

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 16 Aug 2006
An all night fiesta with fireworks, live music and dancing marked the opening of the airport at this Greek climbing paradise.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Great news! Now all we need to do is persuade Ryanair to fly direct from the UK for 99p. grin.
 Adam Lincoln 16 Aug 2006
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

Wishful thinking
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: Would be nice but runway is too short. Only Greek domestic fights.

Cheers
Tim
 GrahamD 16 Aug 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Bit of a shame in a way. The ferry trip elevated the island above the shallowness of the resorts on Kos. Now the the island will probably be 'developed' to cater for coach loads of tubbers from Essex off to roast themselves for two weeks every summer and there goes paradise. Ho Hum.
 Glyn Jones 16 Aug 2006
In reply to GrahamD: <<starts putting lard on body in anticipation>>
Sharket 16 Aug 2006
In reply to Glyn Jones:
> (In reply to GrahamD) <<starts putting lard on body in anticipation>>

what do you mean "starts" putting on...???

Glyn Jones 16 Aug 2006
In reply to Sharket: Well, had to remove the custard first for the Jones Family Holiday!
 Richard Horn 16 Aug 2006
In reply to tbertenshaw:
> Only Greek domestic fights.
>

This is good news in my opinion - after spending an enforced extra night and day on Kos last year thanks to the winds, I was left with the impression that any resemblance of Greek-ness had long since left the island (Kos that is), and was now buried under a mass of all-inclusives, club 18-30 chalets, neon signs etc. Kalymnos is paradise in comparison, so (from a purely selfish point of view) I hope it remains relatively unspoilt...

(However, not having to leave the island 36hrs early due to a rapidly building 50mph wind would also be a bonus!)

joeb 16 Aug 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Was out there last month, and talking to some locals, apparently the runway is not long enough for commercial jet aircraft so prop jets only. which should keep the quaint atmosphere alive.
 Morgan Woods 16 Aug 2006

shame it hasn't been publicised more.....i've already paid for my sep flight to kos but would have been keen to have another potentially quicker and cheaper option.
 jim robertson 16 Aug 2006
In reply to Morgan Woods:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> shame it hasn't been publicised more.....i've already paid for my sep flight to kos but would have been keen to have another potentially quicker and cheaper option.

Check out the prices on Olympic site. I paid £110 for an Athens to Kalymnos return, thats on top of the London to Athens £95 each way tickets with easyjet. Not that much cheaper, if at all, and in terms of speed, that all depends on your connections. I've got a night in Athens either end.

GrahamD 16 Aug 2006
In reply to joeb:
> apparently the runway is not long enough for commercial jet aircraft so prop jets only.

Its a hell of a construction though - they practically demolished a hill to make it ! I can't imagine what the economic justification could be if they can't ship the sun worshippers in by the 737 load ?
 Chris the Tall 16 Aug 2006
Paradise Lost ?

I always felt that the unique feel to Kalymnos was partly due to the effort in getting there - and the stark contrast from the 18-30 types you rubbed shoulders with a at Kos airport.

Then again, there's still masses of unclimbed rock....
 Andy S 16 Aug 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: best get there before it turns into another Faliraki.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...