UKC

Kilnsey North Buttress: An easy day out for a lady

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tyler 27 Aug 2006
Despite many examples to the contrary there is still a widely held view that women aren't suited to the steeper more powerful routes. Today Jenny Woodward put another nail on the coffin of that myth with her send of Urgent Action, an 8a+ straight up the steepest part of Kilnsey's North Buttress.

This is Jenny's second 8a+. She can now be found in the Listers Arms scoffing chips, cake and beer.
 andy 27 Aug 2006
In reply to Tyler: Craven Herald had a report of a woman doing three or four 8s on limestone recently. Makes a change from what 'dale are doing at rugby.

And pardon my ignorance but what is a "send"?
 Michael Ryan 27 Aug 2006
In reply to Tyler:

Thanks Tyler now on the news page:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

Send.......American word (like awesome, beta and the like) for climbing a route/boulder problem.
 sutty 27 Aug 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Look here, nobody can SEND a route, they weigh thousands of tons. They can CLIMB a route, now no more poxy americanisms, or I may send a bit of a route into the skull of those using sloppy English till they learn the difference.
drew harrison 27 Aug 2006
In reply to sutty:

but is a route the rock, the crag, the area, the earth, the universe...

or is the route simply those areas of rock that the body touches on it's passage skyward? if so then it is a simple matter to "send" a route.

in fact, a harder routes would be simpler to send than a easier route, as the holds are less. therefore the myth that women are less suited to steep, overhanging sport routes is indeed false. they are better suited than men.

with less holds, thereby being easier to carry/send, they fit easier into handbags.
 andy 27 Aug 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: So...a british woman climbs a route on a crag in yorkshire...so why not say her 'ascent' of it - or does one have to use Americanisms for everything nowadays? Must pop out and polish the trunk of my automobile...erm...dude...
Etak 27 Aug 2006
In reply to andy: think might be abbreviation of 'asend'... or alternitivly some thing you can try and fail to do with the royal mail
 andy 27 Aug 2006
In reply to Etak: Well it's not bloody english, is it?

And it's asCend - so it's not, anyway.

Off to grumble about young people and people in nylon sportswear...
 sutty 27 Aug 2006
In reply to andy:

Get that baseball cap off!
 Michael Ryan 27 Aug 2006
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) So...a british woman climbs a route on a crag in yorkshire...so why not say her 'ascent' of it -

Please reply to Tyler I just explained...however, whether you use send, climbed, ascent of, flashed...I think most know what you mean.

I've just spent 14 years in the USA. Came back to the UK and it's more American than America. I share your sadness.

Mick
 andy 27 Aug 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Worry not, Michael - there'll always be a small part of the Elm Tree Inn, Embsay on a Sunday night, 9pm that will always be England (well, apart from the Italian/Australian that turns up every week, but you can't have everything - what exactly is "tucker", incidentally? Mischievous cove off Grange Hill, if memory serves...).
 Michael Ryan 27 Aug 2006
In reply to andy:

You are right Andy.....I don't think the sky is falling just yet, nor Kilnsey North Buttress.

Mick
TimS 28 Aug 2006
In reply to Tyler: Great effort by Jenny, but another UKC thread full of rubbish rather than congratulations.
 andy 28 Aug 2006
In reply to TimS: Sorry - didn't realise that was what was expected - Very Well Done, young lady.

Better?
 sutty 28 Aug 2006
In reply to TimS:

Blame Mick for using send instead of climbed, of course it was a great effort for anyone, never mind the sex of the person.
Wish all people pushing themselves well,
 Michael Ryan 28 Aug 2006
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to TimS)
>
> Blame Mick for using send instead of climbed
> Wish all people pushing themselves well,

Dude...read the text and who said it. I never used 'send' in 14 years in the USA. No biggie anyway.

Jenny well done. Drop me an email. (mick@ukclimbing.com)
 sutty 28 Aug 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Sorry Mick, DONT CALL ME DUDE EITHER!

Time to relearn lanky;

http://cd.ciao.co.uk/Lanky_Spoken_Here_Various_Artists__5859922

http://www.wiganshades.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wigan_humor.htm
 Michael Ryan 28 Aug 2006
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)

No thanks.....I speak Atlantica now....in a lancashire accent of course.
Craig Smith 29 Aug 2006
Nice one Jenny. Only the groove to do and you'll be the first women to do the Yorkshire triple crown.

BTW, to any young bloods out there, the Yorkshire Triple Crown is Supercool, The Groove (Malham) and Urgent Action: one of you should try to do them all in a day...

Cheers,

Craig

In reply to Tyler: Well done jenny.
 Ian Dunn 29 Aug 2006
In reply to Craig Smith: Pretty impressive that Simon Nadine got 2 out of 3 onsight back in 1989, I don't think that's been bettered, I know Ste Mc didn't get The Groove.

Good effort Jenny.
 Tom Briggs 29 Aug 2006
> BTW, to any young bloods out there, the Yorkshire Triple Crown is Supercool, The Groove (Malham) and Urgent Action: one of you should try to do them all in a day...

Perhaps Tom Bolger should try and flash them all in a day! He fell off at the gaston (i.e. last move) on Grooved Arete yesterday. Robbed.

(that's the stout F8a+ at Kilnsey... rather than the pleasant V Diff on Tryfan before anyone tries to be humorous )
 Shani 31 Aug 2006
In reply to Tyler: What's she done on grit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...