UKC

Advantages to zoom?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 54ms 31 Aug 2006
I'm looking round for a cheap digital camera to take to morroco with meand leaning towards the kodak C570. It has no zoom and was wondering if this could be an advantage with less stuff to get bits stuck in. Has anyone used this camera and know how good it is?
 Kenny 31 Aug 2006
In reply to Duncan_S:

Can't comment specifically on this camera, but in general I personally enjoy not having any zoom; I find that I (and others, based on watching people take pictures) spend a lot of time zooming in and out in some attempt to get just the right framing, by which time the moment can be lost! I rarely use a zoom lens on my SLRs (I have two good zooms). Of course another reason I don't use zooms on my SLRs is that they are clunky and not as fast as my primes, but this is not too relevant to your question.

Bottom line - without a zoom, you just take the picture. With a zoom, you fanny about
 Dr Avid 01 Sep 2006
In reply to Duncan_S: I like zoom. If you are standing on a small ledge and cant move about, you can get lots of different shots rather than the same one over and over that you'd get with a fixed focal length. Versatility over speed for me....
 Kenny 01 Sep 2006
In reply to Dr Avid:
> If you are standing on a small ledge and cant move about, you can get lots of different shots rather than the same one over and over that you'd get with a fixed focal length.

In this example, all things being equal, your "lots of different" shots ARE basically "the same one over and over" but with varying amounts of crop, surely?

I take your point though.

I was up on Flying Buttress at Dinas Cromlech with a single focal length and didn't once think "I wish I had a zoom". Mind you I didn't get to take many pics as we were climbing as a pair so I was generally busy with climbing, belaying or setting up a belay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...