UKC

Colorado ice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rab 18 Sep 2006
Planning a trip to Colorado in feb for a month,4 of us going.Any suggestions of places to explore for ice climbing,apart from ouray.We will be spending some time there,but peoples experience of other good places would be great.Anyone got any suggestions.Cheers .
Brett PIerce 18 Sep 2006
I live in Colorado, and I go to Canada to ice climb as often as possible. Nothing compares to the long ice routes of Canada. I would change my tickets for Calagary and have world-class experience. But if you don't, check out the ice climbs around Telluride, which is a couple of hours from Ouray.
rab 21 Sep 2006
Hi there Brett,if changing the tickets is not an option,is there still enough to do for a good trip.
 wizz walker 21 Sep 2006
In reply to rab:
> Planning a trip to Colorado in feb for a month,4 of us going.Any suggestions of places to explore for ice climbing,apart from ouray.We will be spending some time there,but peoples experience of other good places would be great.Anyone got any suggestions.Cheers .

Try getting hold of Featuresforfeet. He posts on here from time to time & has climbed in & around Ouray.

Good luck.

wizz.
 Andy Donson 21 Sep 2006
In reply to rab:
Silverton, which is an hours drive south from Ouray has excellent longer routes (Stairway to heaven, whorehouse hoses) - you will need a car. The problem with Feb is the higher avalanch risk though - you should check before you go over there.
Brett PIerce 22 Sep 2006
There is obviously a lifetime of ice routes to do in Colorado. Staying in the Ouray area (Silverton, Durango, Telluride, Ophir) is a great option. I am not sure what kind of grades you want to climb, but I would be more than happy to point you toward the classics regardless of grades.

Cheers
 John Alcock 25 Sep 2006
In reply to Brett PIerce:
I'd stay in Ouray because you can climb there whatever the conditions and because of the thermal baths.
I'd totally recommend Stairway to Heaven at Silverton, maybe a day at Vail (more expensive accomodation), especially if you're travelling via Denver.
Don't miss Bridal Veil Fallls if you can get away with climbing it without being sued.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...