UKC

Tripods and Ball Heads

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dr Avid 24 Sep 2006
Mainly for landscapes, I would like to use it with long lenses in the future for more sordid activities...

Any recommendations?
 Sean Kelly 24 Sep 2006
In reply to Dr Avid:
Whatever you opt for, try it out with the camera & heaviest lens in place. It should not work loose, like when moving from one shooting position to another when carrying the tripod. If you are likely to be moving away from the car with it, then consider a lightweight model. The carbon fibre are expensive but good, especially Manfrotto. Also you might require a levelling plate and adapter for panoramic work, so check it can accommodate such assessories, for when you want to tackle that sort of landscape project.
OP Dr Avid 24 Sep 2006
In reply to Sean Kelly: Thanks Sean....was looking at Manfrotto, think its going to have to be one, but probably cant afford carbon fibre. Head choice is tricky too, guess ill just have to go and try some like you say...everyone I know recommends Arca Swiss, but they are much richer than me.....
 kevin stephens 24 Sep 2006
In reply to Dr Avid:

I'm in the same position

I'll probably go for a Manfrotto 190 pro with one of their ball heads, only 300 gm heavier than the 190 carbon fibre tripod and around £100 cheaper; £130 total for tripod and head

Any better suggestions anyone?
ICE 25 Sep 2006
In reply to Dr Avid: Looks like we're all after advice on this one, I have heard manfotto are very good, £100 for 300g weight saving is, if you use it for 20+ years poss not a bad investment, weight saving is not the only benefit of carbon, they reckon its more rigid to boot. Don't know enough about them at the mo, there is a lot of choice and some very expensive options, not one you want to get wrong I suppose.
 Paul Evans 25 Sep 2006
In reply to Dr Avid:
I've got the manfrotto 190CLB but with the 3 way magnesium head (420?) - which does have a spirit level in it. Nice solid piece of kit and think of the extra training value from carrying it around, compared to the carbon fibre ones. Did 6 miles with mine on Saturday!
I tend to use mine even with short lenses at dusk and dawn - by the time you've got some ND grads on to balance the light, and stopped down for max d.o.f., you're definitely in the "cannot be handheld" zone..
Have fun whatever you get!
Paul
 Henry Iddon 25 Sep 2006
In reply to Dr Avid:

benbo every time. far more verastile and with manfroto ball head. Or of course a carbon gitzo, depends how much carrying you need to do.
Al Downie 25 Sep 2006
In reply to Henry Iddon:

Unilock seemed to carry on making good quality 'Benbos', after Benbo's own quality went downhill. I have a Unilock and a Manfrotto ball head, and it's rock solid but not the lightest bit of kit. If you're planning on travelling light, I reckon the most important bit of gear is a strong bag which you can hang between the tripod's legs, and fill with rocks etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...